Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Okay - There are good points on both sides of this and there are misconceptions on both sides as well.

The dedicated Nokia Internet Tablet fanboy in me has an 8GB 3G iPhone in hand as well. If you want a shoot-out, send some ideas on tests you want performed and I'll do them and post results.

Well, what I meant was that then it would make sense to carry only the N810 and iPhone; naturally someone who carries a half-dozen touchscreen devices at once can just pair the N810 to something else.

OK, hang out on the internet and see which one has more and dumber fanboys.
You could also compare A2DP playback quality...

Now, serious tests, you say? OK...
  • WiFi bandwidth
  • WiFi range
    Do some internet radio on both, and walk away till they drop; measure (approximate) ranges.
  • BT range
    Ditto, but with them laying on a bench paired to a BT HSP headset, and walking till that drops.
  • Web browsing is obligatory, I guess, though I assume this is all related to the new firmware, not the iPhone 3G itself. There were plenty of browser showdowns previously, though, mainly coming to the astonishing conclusion that they were different enough to be unable to call one "better", and I doubt that's really changed. (We still display "real computer" pages in real-computer style; it still zooms and scrolls like a dream, unless they've seriously broken it.)
  • I suppose an overview of currently available apps would be interesting; e.g. what remote access (VNC/RDP/whatever) apps on each platform...
    But that's never really a fair comparison, unless you actually have a specific role in mind, and invest a reasonable amount of time to try to find the best solution on each platform.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Which just shows that boundless optimism about "the next one" is not unique to Nokia fans... Anyway, if they do, the obvious profile to add is DUN/PAN. Then it might actually make sense to tote an iPhone 3G and N800 at the same time.
Well, after a bit of deciding I have got myself a shiny new.. E71.
I know, doesn't really belong here!
Turned out that with my 'loyalty discount' I get the E71 for £20/month where the iPhone is £35/month on a similar contract (but 12 months instead of the 18 month iPhone one). The iPhone was tempting, but to be honest, most of the time I use my phone as a phone, and the price diference is too much to overlook.
Plus I like the bluetooth modem thing.

So I am not sure if this will work out as 'in addition to' the N810, or 'instead of' it. Especially as I have been taking my MSI Wind running OSX to work these days.

Looks a nice phone though - turns up on tuesday.

I just got a 16 gig iPhone and now I feel somewhat strange. On one hand, iPhone usability is on a such high level, on other - all that hacking/jailbreaking required to fully enjoy it...
I'm sure I'm keeping my n800. It's definitely a true "hacker's" device.
I know that n800 will travel in my laptop bag, but iPhone will take over all browsing and email responsibilities of my tablet (before I drop the damn thing on a tile floor :-D)

Nokia N series are pretty good to use, i personally am using Nokia n95 which is just an amazing phone to use! hope you also enjoy using nokia.

Originally Posted by distguitar View Post
I just got a 16 gig iPhone and now I feel somewhat strange. On one hand, iPhone usability is on a such high level, on other - all that hacking/jailbreaking required to fully enjoy it...
I'm sure I'm keeping my n800. It's definitely a true "hacker's" device.
I know that n800 will travel in my laptop bag, but iPhone will take over all browsing and email responsibilities of my tablet (before I drop the damn thing on a tile floor :-D)
Hacking and jailbreaking required to fully enjoy it? Not really, the AppStore is great.

N800 "Hackers" device? Make up your mind, I'm confused!

Hmm the AppStore is great if you just want what Apple will allow.

For example Netshare, an application in the AppStore is being taken up and down, up and down. (It's to allow the tethering of the iPhone to laptops, computers, internet tablets, whatever).

While if you were to jailbreak it and hack around with it, you do the hack once and your good. Not to mention there are things that you'll never see in the App Store. For example emulators. Heck maybe even a non-safari browser. Who knows if someone may be able to port Firefox mobile over to the iPhone.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...