Active Topics

Yesterday I installed an update to easy-debian-turbo that required me to download a new image file. I downloaded this file ok but it is a tar.bz2 file and I do not know how to uncompress it. Can someone help me?

Mark

Um, you should have just waited and not closed x-term, while you wouldn't see any change in x-term the tar.bz2 file was being uncompressed into a ext2 image file. There is a window that pops up after it is done downloading and expanding.

The Following User Says Thank You to D'ohboy For This Useful Post:
Thanks, I'll just delete it and download it again. Thanks,

Mark

just install bzip2 package, and use it to decompress the tar.bz2, then tar xvzf .tar.

Last edited by dRIP; 2009-03-02 at 07:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to dRIP For This Useful Post:
Thanks D'ohboy, that worked and I have everything working again. dRIP, I have been unable to find a bzip2 package to install. Where do I get it?

Mark

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
If you have Easy Debian, you have gtar and bzip2 already installed.

Also, if you update Easy Debian, you don't have to update the image file. The one you have is fine. It won't be changing soon, if ever.

Code:
cd /location/to/untar
gtar xjvf /path/to/tarball.tar.bz2

Last edited by qole; 2009-03-03 at 18:58. Reason: oops, typo

If you do ever need to reinstall bzip2 gronmayer shows that the Diablo maemo extras repo has bzip2 as well.
Catalogue Name: Diablo maemo extras
Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
Distribution: diablo
Components: free non-free

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sydney
or the short version:

bunzip2 -c archive.tar.bz2 | tar -xvf -

Hi, I am new here using N900. Just got my device. I am not familiar with Linux terminology (well, I am mot a person familiar with programming languages as well, I am just typical phone user). Thus looking at some of the posts with all the terminologies really get my head spinning some times. But I am trying to learn..

Can I know in step by step how to extract the bz2 file in X terminal. I tried to follow something what qole wrote:

cd /location/to/untar

but I totally don't understand the above command, such as to/untar, and what is gtar and xjvf?

Is the tarball.tar.bz2 necessary?

Sorry, it may sound stupid to the expert, but appreciate if can help.

I tried this :
cd /MyDocs/

it went to the MyDocs directory. Now if my tar.bz2 file in this directory the file name is debian-squeeze-img.tar.bz2.

I downloaded this from my PC and copy to the N900 MyDocs folder.

Note : I already have the debian chroot, debian LXDE, DEB img install already in the menu (but without the image file, which I am trying to extract)

Please help
Thanks
Yoke

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by yokeloonlo View Post
Hi, I am new here using N900. Just got my device. I am not familiar with Linux terminology (well, I am mot a person familiar with programming languages as well, I am just typical phone user). Thus looking at some of the posts with all the terminologies really get my head spinning some times. But I am trying to learn..

Can I know in step by step how to extract the bz2 file in X terminal. I tried to follow something what qole wrote:

cd /location/to/untar

but I totally don't understand the above command, such as to/untar, and what is gtar and xjvf?

Is the tarball.tar.bz2 necessary?

Sorry, it may sound stupid to the expert, but appreciate if can help.

I tried this :
cd /MyDocs/

it went to the MyDocs directory. Now if my tar.bz2 file in this directory the file name is debian-squeeze-img.tar.bz2.

I downloaded this from my PC and copy to the N900 MyDocs folder.

Note : I already have the debian chroot, debian LXDE, DEB img install already in the menu (but without the image file, which I am trying to extract)

Please help
Thanks
Yoke
Okay, let's start from the top.

"cd /location/to/untar" just means to change to the directory you want to extract your file to - he's just used an example directory name that also explains what it's for.

"gtar" is the GNU tar application. You'll need to install the "tar-gnu" package to get this (this should have been done automatically when you installed the Debian chroot though). There's a separate "tar" program which is supplied as standard on the N900, as part of the base system, but this doesn't support all the options that the full GNU tar does.

"xjvf" are the flags you're passing to the GNU tar program. "x" indicates that you want to extract an archive, "j" means that it's bzip2 compressed, "v" sets verbose mode (so it shows you what's being extracted) and "f" says that you're specifying a filename to extract.

"/path/to/tarball.tar.bz2" is the full path and filename for the archive you want to extract. In your case this will be "/home/user/MyDocs/debian-squeeze-img.tar.bz2".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post: