Make sure you check with vi if there are no strange symbols in your text files which you created in Windows with e.g. Notepad. This is a common mistake. Notepad for example puts strange end-of-line symbols, which gives hick-ups in linux.

The Following User Says Thank You to end2begin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by jpala16 View Post
do you think I could install it on a 1GB card and then copy the contents to this 16GB card that was already partitioned by Nitdroid installer? I don't, but it's the only way out I see for this.
Could I wait until tomorrow? NO.
Well, I tried this without success, of course. I succeded in installing Nitdroid to the 1GB card at first try (LOL). I see the Nitdroid item. It shows several lines of output, and something fails. Once it output a fullscreen terminal-like message stating that it couldn't mount the device (that's what I remember). Maybe I could touch here and there on some relevant files and convert an installation of Nitdroid on 1GB to a 16GB one.
This is impossible with my knowledge by now.
Thanks for all. It had to be the card as I was sure mrbilli and others were right in their instructions. Sorry for making dirty this thread from the start...

EDIT: I entered Android in the 1 GB SDcard and configured some settings. Then I rebooted to Maemo. Then I copied all the files from the 1GB to the 16GB. Rebooted and initiated Nitdroid but could only get the Android logo and some blinking on it. I thought I made it. This a continuous "I feel lucky" while I'm hitting my head to a hard wall. I give up.

Last edited by jpala16; 2011-07-05 at 21:50.

Well, I tried this without success, of course. I succeded in installing Nitdroid to the 1GB card at first try (LOL). I see the Nitdroid item. It shows several lines of output, and something fails. Once it output a fullscreen terminal-like message stating that it couldn't mount the device (that's what I remember). Maybe I could touch here and there on some relevant files and convert an installation of Nitdroid on 1GB to a 16GB one.
Thanks for all. It had to be the card as I was sure mrbilli and others were right in their instructions. Sorry for making dirty this thread from the start...

EDIT: I entered Android in the 1 GB SDcard and configured some settings. Then I rebooted to Maemo. Then I copied all the files from the 1GB to the 16GB. Rebooted and initiated Nitdroid but could only get the Android logo and some blinking on it. I thought I made it. This a continuous "I feel lucky" while I'm hitting my head to a hard wall. I give up.
copying the files will not work .. u need to format ur 16 GB and then install .. just copy ur data to any hard drive for backup ...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrbilli For This Useful Post:
i downloaded some programs for Gingerbread and lot of them crashing, what should be the problem? they not all supposed to work on n900

Once again I suffer the same as you do, I tried this way and it seemed to have been going fine until I tried to run installation and the FAILURE.Bailing out message comes up It has to be a problem with the 16gb class 10 cards because that's EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE. Its a F&L brand and I dont have another card and didnt bother to purchase another one given that this is what was recommended. I've formatted and formatted....siigghhh. Money down the draIn..smt I am going to attempt this ONE.MORE.TIME...for the night..thank you mrbilli for helping. but Idk Ill try one more time

The Following User Says Thank You to galogeek For This Useful Post:
Hmm, that's suspicious. Has anybody installed Nitdroid in a 16GB Class 10 SD card with the Nitdroid installer with success?
I checked that the files for the installation were right because I achieved the installation in another card.
I checked that the card was not broken 'cause I was able to copy files onto it and then read them (the Nitdroid bootlog was really faster than with the other card, until it crashed, of course).
It must be something related to speed/capacity or maybe is a fake (or Kingston is really bad in this kind of products), and it writes or reads data with errors.
Yes, money down the drain galogeek. I suppose that I will use it for storing music...

The Following User Says Thank You to jpala16 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Well, unless you've got a class 22 microSD card, this won't run as smooth as installing it to the eMMC, but sometimes people just want to try things out.

NOTE: ANDROID IS RUNNING MUCH SMOOTH AND FASTER BY INSTALLING NITDROID WITH THIS METHOD THEN THE METHOD GIVEN IN MAEMO!
I HAVE TRIED BOTH METHODS AND I PREFER THIS !!!!
Oh BTW, isn't this a duplicate thread of some other one? It discussed the same method of modifying the manifest file...

Last edited by ammyt; 2011-07-06 at 07:39.

This is supposed to be a cleaner (I ruined that) and with even more effective instructions thread than the other just to install Nitdroid into an SD card.
The pity here is that some 16 GB Class 10 cards ruin this.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Damn it! Nope, it does not work. I'll be courageous here: do you think I could install it on a 1GB card and then copy the contents to this 16GB card that was already partitioned by Nitdroid installer?....
I have installed it to a 1G card in the past using auto installer and works well. That was for 0.07 and 0.08, info here.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2011-07-06 at 10:53.

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by mrbilli View Post
I've seen in this forum. too much people are facing problems while installing nitdroid in their NOKIA N900.
So i have decided to post a CLEAN and Easiest way to install Nitdroid without any error.

So here we start
(installing on external mmc)

1. Download and install the latest NITDROID INSTALLER
http://downloads.nitdroid.com/nitins....2.7_armel.deb

downloading in root directory is recommend!

how to install
Code:
open Xterminal
type Sudo gainroot
cd MyDocs
dpkg -i NAME OF UR FILE .deb
if your facing profile while installing .i.e missing files
then simply use this command

apt-get -f install

thats it .. you will able to install NITDROID INSTALLER AUTOMATICALY

2. Create a text file using ur computer of N900 named
"nitdroid.manifest" and paste this code into that file

Code:
#
# Manifest file for NITDroid
#

# Root filesystem tar balls
rootfs file:///home/user/MyDocs/N12_UMay.tar.bz2
# Deb packages
package file:///home/user/MyDocs/nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-07_rc3_armel.deb

# End.
make sure to remove .txt extention and move it to your root directory of Nokia N900

3. Download N12 UMAY file and NITdroid kernel

N12 Umay Android
http://downloads.nitdroid.com/e-yes/N12_UMay.tar.bz2

Nitdroid Kernel
http://downloads.nitdroid.com/e-yes/..._rc3_armel.deb

4. Copy Both Files to root directory and .nitdroid folder located in root directory of n900. using via computer or FILEBOX (recommend) i.e /home/users/MyDocs/.nitdroid

5. Now open Xterminal
Code:
root
nitdroid file:///home/user/MyDocs/nitdroid.manifest
and type YES in capital letters
6. Be patients and wait for the installing and wait until it dones

7. Rebot with open keyboard slide and press 2

8. now wait until the Android Logo loads. It takes time to load 1st time

9. Skip the login for gmail for 1st time and HERE IT GOES

ENJOY !!!

NOTE: ANDROID IS RUNNING MUCH SMOOTH AND FASTER BY INSTALLING NITDROID WITH THIS METHOD THEN THE METHOD GIVEN IN MAEMO!
I HAVE TRIED BOTH METHODS AND I PREFER THIS !!!!
I can't see how step 1 could work (The bit highlighted in red above), has the wrong path. (great start to this tutorial).

The correct path to the Mydocs folder is:
cd /home/user/MyDocs

People want exact steps, not guess work in a tutorial, else there will be a hundred and one questions asking "What am I doing wrong?".

The instructions on the Nitdroid easy install on EMMC couldn't be more simple if followed correctly.
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyNokiaN900 For This Useful Post: