Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Name:  qmltimepicker.jpg
Views: 3622
Size:  15.2 KB
The default qml timepicker uses that slotmachine arrangement which is terrible in terms of usability, and is by definition a dialog, which is not always desired.

On the other hand the circular meegotouch timepicker is visually beautiful, easy and intuitive to use (like an analog clock), so I decided to implement a similar qml component. The component is not a direct clone nor it uses the meegotouch theme as it is implemented for nemo which does not aim to clone harmattan, but if somebody wants to change the artwork it should be trivial to do it.

For the time being it doesn't have animations (PathAnimation, which is coming in qml2 will help do that animation easily, so for now it's deferred) and it is 12h only (you have to create a switch by yourself to cater for AM/PM.

You can see a demonstration here http://youtu.be/1FWN7J6Vfa4
and code is on http://github.com/qwazix/qmltimepicker

Feel free to use it in your projects.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-10-07 at 14:58. Reason: added screenshot

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Here are timepicker and datepicker exactly looking like native from one of the devs here — https://gitorious.org/harmattan-timepicker

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
http://va-sorokin.blogspot.co.il/201...an-native.html - his announcement on his blog

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Nice. I would recommend people to use that for harmattan applications then.

If you need a circular slider this component can still be useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Attachment 29083
The default qml timepicker uses that slotmachine arrangement which is terrible in terms of usability, and is by definition a dialog, which is not always desired.
I'd like to ask how come that you find the usability terrible? (Disclaimer: i actually like such an arrangement, mainly for its compact design - in contrast circular uses up much more screen estate)
That is, if the Harmattan one is not vastly different to Fremantle.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-10-07 at 15:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
1. 60 items are too much to show in a flickable list. The user can't know how hard to flick to go directly to (or even near) the minute he wants, and one big swipe often isn't enough (you run out of screen). On the other hand you need one tap on the circle, and it's obvious where to tap unless you can't read an analog clock.

2. When you flick upwards you cover the slot with your finger so it's difficult to see what you're going to choose

3. If we had an inline slotmachine with only the selected time visible and the other values showed up only while dragging I would accept the screen space argument. In fact, I would prefer it in some circumstances (depending on the frequency of choosing times) over a pop-up circular picker but in the current situation the qml timepicker is a dialog that by definition takes up the whole screen and adds two unnecessary taps.

4. Inconsistency: There's no cancel button in other dialogs, the buttons aren't themed like the other dialog buttons, and there is no X button. That dialog is like a hastily made custom component.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
what about tap in the middle to switch AM/PM?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey04 For This Useful Post:

Tags
qml time picker, qt components, time picker