Active Topics

Notices

I recently bought N900 in India and cant seem to install Skype on the device since the Maemo support webstie by Nokia lists the application as pre-installed. However, it is not pre-installed on my device. Kindly help.

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
have look into app manager ,install pidgin messenger, there are many other messengers like msn,yahoo,qq,jabber etc ,hope it helps Or you can go to conversation manu ,hit the accounts button ,make a skype account and feel free. enjoy !

Posts: 1,444 | Thanked: 461 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ pakistan
i dont exactly know the title of the thread but soon some one will post it :P

go into settings and then Voip then creat a new account and choose skype and put your user name and password and wait for it to sign in and then hit status bar (where the green dot) is visible then you will see a tab of availability .
here you can switch to offline and online modes .
try and if still some help , ask

Posts: 1,444 | Thanked: 461 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ pakistan
opppss
lateeeeeeee i am :P

If you could not able to find skype after trying the above approach, you can try this.I'm not sure where are you from but initially i faced the same probelm that skype was not available. But i could able to install it from Ovi store, once you install it the above procedure would work....

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
Originally Posted by eefo View Post
opppss
lateeeeeeee i am :P
lol.thats very much informative

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Reflash, use the global firmware.
Offtopic: Why can't we just recommend ONLY using the Global firmware when reflashing? Should take care of a lot of things, notably missing/disabled regional crap.

If you have an Indian device it will not have skype installed. The only way to get skype is to re-flash your device with the global version of the firmware.

Follow the instructions here:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ india
i am also from india. i used skype flashing it with global version.
but it was the story before pr1.2. after upgrading to pr 1.2, you can simply download it from ovi store.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Reflash, use the global firmware.
Offtopic: Why can't we just recommend ONLY using the Global firmware when reflashing? Should take care of a lot of things, notably missing/disabled regional crap.
My phone was flashing recently and when i checked it said I need to update my Maemo software. I connected it to the computer to update software using Ovi Suite. I think it must have flashed the whole unit with Global firmware. Dont you think? Still Skype is missing.

Tags
skype install