Posts: 355 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Woow, that’s impressive
By the way, doesn’ such amount of windows makes Telescope appearing with delay?

Seems that I need to make hotkey and escape handling more configurable.

Unfortunately, there is no way to acquire contents of minimized windows. If Telescope was able to acquire contents before windows was minimized, it will use cached copy of the window. But if window was minimized before Telescope start of if Telescope was never activated before window was minimized, Telescope won’t be able to show its contents.
That was not a problem on Diablo because while all windows are fullscreen there was no need in minimizing windows. But on desktop it is not good

By the way, as far as I remember, Telescope should draw checkers pattern for such windows. It seems like minimized windows shown in black, so this probably does not work. Needs to be fixed too.

Originally Posted by Mitrandir View Post
Woow, that’s impressive
No delay at all. I press the hotkey and boom! My desktop is quite a bit faster than my n810.

If Telescope was able to acquire contents before windows was minimized, it will use cached copy of the window.
This is true on Maemo but doesn't appear to be the case on the desktop. I can open a window, open telescope and see the window, close telescope, shade window and now telescope shows a black box. Maybe shading is doing something other than minimizing the window.

Hmm...
May be function that I use for acquiring window’s content doesn’t fail for minimized windows, but returns black box instead. In that case Telescope will think that contents is valid and will not use cached copy as it should.
Will debug that.

Will debug that.
Forgot to mention this before. What is causing the blue X close buttons be chopped off on the tall narrow windows in my screenshot? Those same windows also lack a rounded border on the right side.

Frame rendering code was designed for standard window size of Maemo
Border is composed from three PNGs — left corner, middle and right corner. I guess that for narrow windows middle part overlaps with right corner. I think this should be easy to fix.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
My computer dual boots but I'm slowly wanting to stop using Windows XP forever and just stick with Ubuntu.

I can't wait to try this.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Woow, that’s impressive

Seems that I need to make hotkey and escape handling more configurable.

Unfortunately, there is no way to acquire contents of minimized windows. If Telescope was able to acquire contents before windows was minimized, it will use cached copy of the window. But if window was minimized before Telescope start of if Telescope was never activated before window was minimized, Telescope won’t be able to show its contents.
That was not a problem on Diablo because while all windows are fullscreen there was no need in minimizing windows. But on desktop it is not good

By the way, as far as I remember, Telescope should draw checkers pattern for such windows. It seems like minimized windows shown in black, so this probably does not work. Needs to be fixed too.
I had a somewhat related problem on Fluxbox. There is a checkered pattern for some windows, but the things is that they're on a different workspace from the one where I started Telescope - so, the checkered pattern does appear, in this case probably shouldn't.

I tested two additional WMs, unfortunately with bad results: Openbox - basically, not working at all; Awesome WM, as I had a very old compiled version (it's on v3 now, and I had an old 2.2 compiled). Telescope in Awesome (v3) wasn't awesome (didn't work at all, too)

Strangely enough, I really, really like Telescope on DWM. Apart from it segfaulting when I invoke it in an empty tag, it's running perfectly. There's another slight bug, when I first run Telescope on a tag in which all windows are urxvts, I'll try grabbing a screenshot of it.

And on the Raspberry Pi, it's so fast... I'm still missing an SD card to make a video of it running there, but it was so surprising.

When auouymous's fixes are in place, let me know, to see if I need to update Arch's PKGBUILD.

Originally Posted by Onyros View Post
I tested two additional WMs, unfortunately with bad results: Openbox - basically, not working at all; Awesome WM, as I had a very old compiled version (it's on v3 now, and I had an old 2.2 compiled). Telescope in Awesome (v3) wasn't awesome (didn't work at all, too)
Was it displaying an error message, segfaulting or what?

I'm testing newest code from bitbucket on N900/Fremantle.

(I'm not supposing you are fixing all these, fixing some of them can break diablo. I'm just reporting)

Disabled -Werror, made package. Installing deb to the device reboots device (intentional?)

I need to launch telescope manually, and I get:
Code:
Cannot load image: /usr/share/telescope/text-background.png
Cannot load image: /usr/share/telescope/panel.png
Cannot load image: /usr/share/telescope/panel-focus-left.png
Cannot load image: /usr/share/telescope/panel-focus-right.png
Cannot load image: /usr/share/telescope/panel-focus-middle.png
Indeed deb-package doesn't contain these, even source code has them.

And then I can show Telescope task switcher via:
Code:
dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.telescope /Telescope org.telescope.Telescope.Show
What are the ways to show Telescope launcher? N900 doesn't have F5.

----

Reasons to disable -Werror
Code:
XTools.cpp: In static member function 'static LinkedList<long unsigned int> XTools::windowList(Window, bool)':
XTools.cpp:92: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
XTools.cpp:108: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
XTools.cpp: In static member function 'static bool XTools::checkIfWindowMinimized(Window)':
XTools.cpp:341: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
XTools.cpp: In static member function 'static Window XTools::activeWindow()':
XTools.cpp:369: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
XTools.cpp: In static member function 'static Atom XTools::windowType(Window)':
XTools.cpp:397: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
XTools.cpp: In static member function 'static bool XTools::fetchWindowIconFromProperty(Window, int*, int*, Pixmap*, Picture*)':
XTools.cpp:482: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
Code:
XEventLoop.cpp:90: warning: 'dbus_watch_get_fd' is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/dbus-1.0/dbus/dbus-connection.h:373)

Hi,

thanks for report!

1) That’s my fault. Makefile:55 should read 'SHAREFILES +=' instead of 'SHAREFILES ='. Already fixed and pushed to bitbucket, please pull this change to your repo.

2)
Code:
dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.telescope /Launcher org.telescope.Launcher.Show
Or you can rebind hotkey from F5 to other key by specifying
Code:
hotkey = <keyname>
in /etc/telescope.conf

3) I haven’t seen these gcc errors about “dereferencing type-punned pointers” neither on N8x0 nor on desktop. Seems like Fremantle’s GCC is configured more strictly about pointer aliasing. If you can find some good solution, please send me a patch

4) dbus_watch_get_fd is used if DEFINES = -DMAEMO4 is specified in Makefile. It was renamed to dbus_watch_get_unix_fd in later D-Bus versions.

You might surround your Fremantle-specific changes by #ifdef FREMANTLE ... #endif and add -DFREMANTLE in Makefile. If your changes will be compatible with Diablo and desktop by disabling this flag, I would be happy to include any your changes into Telescope!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mitrandir For This Useful Post: