Posts: 120 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Perth, Australia
Hi everyone.

I've signed up due to my interest in the N900. I have been looking for a new phone for a while, and the N900 seems just what I've always wanted.

I'm a heavy Ubuntu/Debian user, so hopefully will find it easy to tinker with as well.

As Nokia in Australia don't have an online store, I've pre-ordered the N900 in the UK, and am getting it sent on to me!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattaustin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by mattaustin View Post
Hi everyone.

I've signed up due to my interest in the N900. I have been looking for a new phone for a while, and the N900 seems just what I've always wanted.

I'm a heavy Ubuntu/Debian user, so hopefully will find it easy to tinker with as well.

As Nokia in Australia don't have an online store, I've pre-ordered the N900 in the UK, and am getting it sent on to me!
Welcome, Mattaudtin, to the forum. We look forward to your N900 first impressions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Mattaustin, glad to meet you. I'm new to Linux, so I hope you can share your knowledge and make this easier for me. I'm getting a Ubuntu lappy soon as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ MA, USA
Hello, all, my name is Rob and I'm from the Boston, MA, USA area. I had been convinced that Android was my future (once some decent hardware emerged) but then along came the N900. I'm a 770 and n810 owner. The 770 has been retired to programmable-remote duty (via custom webserver/Tira2 IR transceiver/Insteon devices) but the n810 is still used in larger capacity. I'm a long-time programmer, mostly in the Win32 realm, and I'm particularly interested in automation. Since I've joined this site while doing research on the N900 I've expanded my use of the n810 but that's resulted in, suddenly, abysmal battery life (the vampire has visited me as well, it seems). I'll leave that discussion for the appropriate thread.

Anyway, my intent is to learn me some QT and get involved in development for the n900. I haven't pre-ordered mine yet, although I'm on the verge of doing so at Amazon.

I live in iPhone hell over here and I'll be psyched to be sporting a great alternative.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjcooke For This Useful Post:
Hiya all! My name is Keijo and I'm a newly converted maemo fanatic. I guess the biggest reason is that I actually use a N900 now and realized that 'I'm never going back' to symbian or anything else for that matter...

I'm willing to help out with development (testing, trying out progs on the device etc) although I'm afraid I'm pretty clueless regarding linux and programming for maemo (but I intend to learn...already got the sdk running in a virtual image at home... )

//K

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Philadelphia, USA
Hi. My name is Kyle, and I too am one of the N900 followers. I think it is the first phone I have ever really wanted. I am a n95 owner, and passed on the iphone due to its restrictions.

Let's see... I have some basic programming skills, and I would love to help out where I can. Maemo seems like a platform I should have known more about. I am ok with Ubuntu, I've been using it off and on over the past few years, and it is starting to make more sense to me.

Anyway... Hi everbody! And I look forward to conversing with many of you.

Regards

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ogahyellow For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Hi there.

My interest in Maemo began a couple a months ago when I had to write a document comparing the several mobile platforms that are available. Of all of those that I reviewed, Maemo was the one I liked the most.

Besides, I have been wanting to buy a new mobile phone for some time, as my N95 8GB, as much as I love it, is getting a bit old. Therefore, when Nokia announced the N900, I knew that was the phone I was going to buy and registered here.

I work in the R&D department of a quite big IT company and we are investigating quite a lot about mobile services for mass transit users. I would love to see such services running on my N900. Ah, if it only had a magnetometer and J2ME support...

Kind regards.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevloral For This Useful Post:
I have been a lurker for some time now, but thought it was time to introduce myself properly.

My name is Bas. My main reason for being on the forum is my interest in the N900. I was already interested in the N810 some time ago, but as I am not into two device solutions, I went with a smartphone instead. The N900 has rekindled my interest in Maemo.

My recent history in smartphones is the Nokia 9500 Communicator and Nokia E71. I hope to be the proud owner of an N900 in less than a month, as I have already preordered one. I particularly like the raw power, multimedia aspects, custimaisable desktop, dashboard, browser and openness of the device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bheetebrij For This Useful Post:
have played with so many phones/tablets, some say I'm a fanatic so I should fit in here right?

well, i'm jay. I think the community-you all-are great and how linux is so powerful because of you, I am so used to think take...take...take from devices and OS's it'll take some time till I can give back. In the meantime Thanks to everyone for sharing your expertise and making Maemo awesome for everyone else to use.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayhule For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by jayhule View Post
have played with so many phones/tablets, some say I'm a fanatic so I should fit in here right?

well, i'm jay. I think the community-you all-are great and how linux is so powerful because of you, I am so used to think take...take...take from devices and OS's it'll take some time till I can give back. In the meantime Thanks to everyone for sharing your expertise and making Maemo awesome for everyone else to use.
Welcome, Jay, to the forum!

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada boom, bada rox, hotelcalifornia, new users, newbie, newmo!, w2tmo, welcome to maemo.org