Originally Posted by Etchelon View Post
Yeah, maybe normal people's thoughts fly to the many viruses they caught while using their PCs, when they read "Microsoft", but they know it's their fault and that there are antivirus programs.
there is the $$$ too...
ppl realize they spend a fortune and get... nothing
where, indeed, malware comes in...
(FYI, even LostDOS comes with a basic anti-virus, nowadays...)
and GNU / Linux seems a very attractive alternative, where (nearly) everything is free and there is broad community support (free, as well)

and then ppl hear about wp, be it with or without a NOKIA logo, hear the horrific story of ppl who have to use such devices from their work (or decided to get one) and think... why should i trap myself into this again?
they may not be geeks, but they are not that ignorant (or blind)

Switching point of view, what comes to people's mind when they hear Linux? Nothing, for the majority, and "hell no!!! That weird geek stuff where you can't even install programs with a simple double click" for many others, me included (I'm very experienced with Windows and tech-products but hey, isn't it ridiculous that I couldn't easily install nvidia drivers on my laptop, using Ubuntu (supposedly the most user friendly of all Linux distros)?
GNU / Linux is certainly the last thing a (dumb) iPotato user would think about. actually, even not so dumb iPotato user are strongly discouraged to thing that
but indeed, most ANDroid users don't even know what GNU / Linux is, leave alone what it stands for...
they simply grab all the (free) apps

Anyway, just wanted to say that in most people's mind Microsoft Windows == computers, they don't consider anything else.
see above...
when ppl think m$, they think... awwwww
if they think @ all >¦-)

[...]
next time, get some facts into your trolling, maybe?

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
You could wait for my reply before boldly writing your last statement
I'm Italian, and the situation here is as I described. It's all related to the level of culture of the population. Low culture == dumb people == people don't care about Linux, Harmattan or SD cards.
Well, sorry for calling you US guy then . Anyway, I don't think here in Bulgaria the mass is better than in Italy, yet my statements remain valid.

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
next time, get some facts into your trolling, maybe?
Trolling because...you don't like what I say? Or maybe you mean something else? If so, try to use words other than "trolling" to explain that, the english language is thousand years old and "trolling" was invented only a couple of years ago.

And, what facts do I need to add? I just illustrated my point of view. Is it required by the forum rules to stuff tons of facts in every post you make? Do I need to reference a random scientific study about "people and their OS of choice" for you to consider what I'm saying? I mean, it's just my thoughts. You can reply if you feel like, or you can ignore it if it's not worth an answer of yours. Just don't call it "trolling".

Trolling because[...]
making a generic undocumented statement along the line of "ppl like m$" in a forum dedicated primarily to a open source platform.

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Trolling because...you don't like what I say? Or maybe you mean something else? If so, try to use words other than "trolling" to explain that, the english language is thousand years old and "trolling" was invented only a couple of years ago.

And, what facts do I need to add? I just illustrated my point of view. Is it required by the forum rules to stuff tons of facts in every post you make? Do I need to reference a random scientific study about "people and their OS of choice" for you to consider what I'm saying? I mean, it's just my thoughts. You can reply if you feel like, or you can ignore it if it's not worth an answer of yours. Just don't call it "trolling".
AFAIK this is maemo.org not windowsphone.org

[...]
I'm Italian[...] It's all related to the level of culture of the population. Low culture == dumb people == people don't care about Linux, Harmattan or SD cards.
for an Italian you have surprisingly little national pride, don't you?
have you ever been in the country?

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Ubuntu the most user friendly... <snickering> Yeah sure, with such world class QA, almost nothing bad could happen to the clueless!

But i rather have to invest 5h to compile, install & configure something in Linux than spending months pressing teeth together because i can't change, adapt to my workflow or fix something in Windows.

My opinion: just use the right tool for a job. I use Win7 x64 and Arch Linux + aptosid at home. Each to his own.

And both of you should agree to disagree, IMHO.

PS.: using terms like M$ and LostDOS is sooo stuck in 2000.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-04-06 at 11:36.

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
AFAIK this is maemo.org not windowsphone.org
making a generic undocumented statement along the line of "ppl like m$" in a forum dedicated primarily to a open source platform.
If the fact that we're on maemo.org means to you that I should not talk in favor of Microsoft's software, well, you're quite narrow minded.

for an Italian you have surprisingly little national pride, don't you?
have you ever been in the country?
I hate my country and plan to move abroad, is that enough for you?

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
If the fact that we're on maemo.org means to you that I should not talk in favor of Microsoft's software, well, you're quite narrow minded.

I hate my country and plan to move abroad, is that enough for you?
thats enough to explain everything,

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
That is yet to be seen. The doomsdayers here should remember how apple came to the brink of bankruptcy and dissolution, and rose up again. Ordinary people, as someone said above, think of a device that will give them smooth, reliable, day and nite device. Maemo and Meego are far short from that. 99% of the population could care less what the OS is, as LONG AS THE EXPERIENCE IS SMOOTH AND RELIABLE!!!!!!. Lumia 800 and 900 deliver that. I think that NOKIA will do OK.
Yet another buzzword I often see touted in response to its drawbacks, "Smooth".

If people only wanted a smooth and reliable phone they would buy a cheap feature phone. A smartphone is about more than just smooth and reliable it's about the phone being able to adapt to the needs you thought you would never want until the need arises. Lack of features becomes a major stumbling block.
Granted the iPhone was also initially lacklustre in features too but that built on the buzz of the ipods of the time, people essentially wanted an iPod with phone capabilities. WP has no such thing to replace and it will never gain ground being behind in features, apps or specs. I don't think its debatable "smoothness" is much of a selling point.

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows