Active Topics

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Indianapolis, IN
Please pardon me. Although I've used Ubuntu (DD and FF) in the past, installing Flash 9 seems to be beyond my knowledge (the whole "copying to root" part of this).

I just got my 770 the other day from Microcenter, I've updated to the newest version of OS 2007HE (very nice), I've got Xterm (and know how to become root, obviously), and I've got the Flash file in my Documents folder. I just downloaded Dropbear, but since I've never used it, I'm not sure how to go about copying the tar.gz to root. Anybody know of a step-by-step guide? If I have something to go by, I'm sure I can do it myself.

My husband's kind of waiting on me so he can use it to view Youtube and other Flash-related sites (he builds the PCs; I muck around with the OS). I realize there's UKTube out there (which I may end up using anyway), but I'm so close to installing this, and this is something I need to know anyway for future knowledge.

You have my thanks if you can help.

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
You might consider installing wget from here and following these instructions. I found it easier to install flash 9 this way.

Hey, thanks for that! I'll give it a go.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
@ thepenguinonthetelly :

If you have updated the Nokia 770 to the HE version of the Nokia OS then I am not too sure that you can update the Flash using the above method ( of course I can be mistaken about this ). There are other prior posts in this thread that echo the issues with this.

Name:  post_thanks.gif
Views: 1153
Size:  359 Bytes

Last edited by Arjun; 2008-01-09 at 18:49.

Well, actually, it just installed, and I'm getting ready to try it out on microb. It shows it as being listed in the Plugins, whereas nothing was listed before, so hopefully that's a good sign.

(It just took me so long to download because Zoomtown DSL is crap.)

Edit: It's working, although it slows everything down tremendously (not sure if a bigger MMC card would help this any).

Last edited by thepenguinonthetelly; 2008-01-09 at 17:21.

what files do you need to get sound out of flash9 and where would you get these. some one made a comment about copying libflashsupport.so where do you get this file to copy

I no this is a pretty old thread, but can someone please help me out, I am a total noob, i just got a free 770 os 2006, and i have never used linux, so i have no idea, can someone please tell me step by step how to install flash 9, i just dont understand that code you gave at all as instructions

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by phatmatt2194 View Post
I no this is a pretty old thread, but can someone please help me out, I am a total noob, i just got a free 770 os 2006, and i have never used linux, so i have no idea, can someone please tell me step by step how to install flash 9, i just dont understand that code you gave at all as instructions
I think, now, you'd be better off trying the OS2008HE which should bring the 770 up to date with the latest browser and thus include flash.

The 2008HE is slow and as far as I know doesn't include flash player capabilities. Could someone provide a link (and possibly update the OP) to some simplified instructions?

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2006 @ Chicago,IL
Don't even bother... Flash 9 + any Hacker edition + 770 = poor interweb experience. It's too slow. Sites like Pandora.com just kills my 770.