Notices

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I'd like to pre-announce Qt Tablet Encoder (or QTE, pronounced as cutie), which is a media conversion tool geared towards tablets.

A short preview is available no longer present available again at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBJM0o7j4Rw

EDIT: Our trigger happy friends at youtube removed the video. The vimeo flash upload applet consistently fails on me. So, looking for a video side that might not freak out on an (gasp) open source media conversion tool demo.

EDIT2: Video reinstated. We'll see if it stays on

I'd like to hear your comments and suggestions. Until then, in the spirit of pre-announcing I'm going to pre-answer some of your questions

- Yes, the dog ate the end of clip. Nothing serious is missing, just the answer to life, the universe and everything.
- It's in Qt4. I like Qt.
- It's completely written in Python. I like Python.
- I know about tablet-encode, knots and alike, and they're all great, but not quite what I needed, a parallelized, quick, clean and desktop integrated solution for ALL media.
- I know it has big buttons. A possibility is running this UI on the tablet as a remote front-end so you could 'request' converted stuff to your tablet (not just uPnP, but images, books, and other goodies).
- The demo uses a mplayer/mencoder backend, but it's pretty detached so you could fit in any backend you want. This is also how I plan on using this to convert images, sound, books, you name it.
- I develop on Linux, but it could be made to work on Windows and MacOS X with minimal effort - it doesn't even have binaries afterall, so the only question is the availability of the backends.
- I didn't cheat, I really detect the tablet model and location via USB descriptors
- I didn't cheat, the live preview live shows live recompression live output. Live.
- Made with WingIDE from http://www.wingware.com . They gave me license as an OSS developer, so they deserve the plug.
- It's not ready for prime time yet, if I released it today, it might burn your house down, make your cat explode and drive your girlfriend crazy (not necessarily in that order). Patience.
- Sorry about my squeaky-English, it's my third language, still working on it.

Last edited by attila77; 2009-04-12 at 10:21.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Wow! That looks great! Thanks!!

Unfortunately I've remained a Windows user. Were it not for that, and your warning about the cat, I'd want to use it right away.

BTW, your written English is flawless and, but for an accent that doesn't hinder understanding you at all, your spoken English is practically flawless, too.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Looks great! Looks like you have put a real effort into it. If you get this working on OS X, I'd be happy to test it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
It looks good! One question, though... I noticed you were running KDE3. Would I be right in presuming, then, that your app is written in Qt3? Or is it just themed to match your system?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Wow! That looks great! Thanks!!

Unfortunately I've remained a Windows user. Were it not for that, and your warning about the cat, I'd want to use it right away.

BTW, your written English is flawless and, but for an accent that doesn't hinder understanding you at all, your spoken English is practically flawless, too.
I believe one of the benefits of QT (and Python) is that they're pretty much cross-platform now. You'll just need QT libraries installed in Windows as well

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
EDIT: Our trigger happy friends at youtube removed the video. The vimeo flash upload applet consistently fails on me. So, I'm looking for a video side that might not freak out on an (gasp) open source video conversion tool demo. If you know about one, speak up.

Thanks. I read/write in English a lot, but rarely ever talk.

Originally Posted by jaem View Post
It looks good! One question, though... I noticed you were running KDE3. Would I be right in presuming, then, that your app is written in Qt3? Or is it just themed to match your system?
It's in Qt4, but Qt really tries to make it appear as close to native apps as you have noticed - a KDE3 theme in my case.

I believe one of the benefits of QT (and Python) is that they're pretty much cross-platform now. You'll just need QT libraries installed in Windows as well
Correct. A windows or mac porting process would mostly be just checking what of the required libraries/backends should be bundled (the only section that might need platform specific tweaking is the device detection).

The application itself would run from the same files if qt and python are present. Thus, you wouldn't even *have* a separate win/linux/mac download, except if you want a native installer for it.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
EDIT: Our trigger happy friends at youtube removed the video.
The video still plays for me, here in the UK, fine. . And it seems like an awesome app!

And, why apologise about your English? It really is normal and I bet I couldn't speak Serbian as well as you speak English.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
The video still plays for me, here in the UK, fine. . And it seems like an awesome app!
Hm, must have been temporary, I checked from my tablet and desktop (different providers), and both said video is not available. We'll see if it's just a glitch in the youtube matrix.

And, why apologise about your English? It really is normal and I bet I couldn't speak Serbian as well as you speak English.
Well, when listening back my own text it didn't sound that good (all those it's not pronounced like that, you mumble, too much 'OK' and 'soo..' to fill up the thought buffer), but I guess you could file it all under perfectionism BTW My native is Hungarian, I just live in Serbia (that's how English gets to be my third language). You can never talk enough languages if you're from around here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
A question for the general public - what sort of stuff do you have on your desktop and needs some sort of conversion to make convenient on your NIT ? Stuff I have so far (most of it already implemented):

doc, docx, odt, sxw -> pdf or html
avi/mov/dvd -> scaled/recompressed avi
ftp or streamed video (youtube incl) -> avi
streamed audio -> mp3
tv tuner -> avi
flac, ogg -> mp3
oversize jpg/tif/raw -> display sized jpg

Anything you fancy and I don't have here ? Don't be shy !

Hmm, what you have covers it mostly. Though for the oversized image, can you keep into account aspect ratio? It would come in handy if the image is horizontal versus vertical.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post: