Is there a way to stop Ovi Maps connection to the internet all the time? I'm about to go travelling and don't want to incur data charges while roaming.

I realise you can d/l maps from countries according to this guide (http://www.maemopeople.org/index.php...ut_a_network_c) but if I accidentally centre the map on a country that I don't have a map for, it seems to automatically connect to the web and start downloading.

Quite infuriating that it has hardly any settings

Last edited by sirflyalot; 2009-12-03 at 17:52.

Does downloading the maps for offline use really work when you don't have a data connection?

Originally Posted by sirflyalot View Post
I have been wondering the same thing. It's really f*cking irritating. Didn't anyone ever use Ovi maps prior to releasing it?

I believe that it is trying to connect to do internet location based services, which you can supposedly turn off, but it tries to connect to the internet anyway.

The other problem is that the device will lock and the screen turn off in the display time out. It can be changed, but this causes the GPS to turn off also! You have to keep touching the f*cking thing in order to keep the GPS going. The maximum time for the backlight time-out is 2 minutes. How does this make Ovi maps of any use at all?

I just gave up on Ovi Maps. Waiting for Maemo Mapper to arrive on this platform.
F*cking Settings, f*cking Display, f*cking check Display stays f*cking lit when charging and f*cking plug it into a f*cking car charger.

f*cking uses location server for f*cking faster lock on gps.

Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
Does downloading the maps for offline use really work when you don't have a data connection?
yes it does

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Lafayette, IN
Originally Posted by DREJV View Post
yes it does
Don't you mean "Yes it f*cking does?"

Originally Posted by drejv View Post
f*cking settings, f*cking display, f*cking check display stays f*cking lit when charging and f*cking plug it into a f*cking car charger.

F*cking uses location server for f*cking faster lock on gps.
****in right it does!