I just got my N810 and for some reason I can't explain they decided to put a silver sticker on top of the screen protector. When I peeled it off (which wasn't easy as it came off in bits) it left behind a sticky silver diamond pattern, which just smudges when I try to remove it.

It's VERY annoying! If I hadn't had an 80% discount on the whole thing I'd be demanding a replacement screen protector.

Has anyone else found this sticker on their tablet when they bought it?

Last edited by krisse; 2008-01-11 at 15:12.

Why don't you get a real screen protector. That is only meant to be a temporary screen protector during shipment. IMHO not something to demand a refund for. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you on this.

The Following User Says Thank You to powder2000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Yeah I too think that's NOT a screen protector to be left on place.
It's meant to be removed.

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Yeah I too think that's NOT a screen protector to be left on place.
It's meant to be removed.
Are you saying they expect people to use the stylus directly on the actual screen?

Or do they expect 100% of their customers to purchase a third party screen protector in advance of their purchase?

Very few ordinary people actually buy screen protectors, and if this touchscreen device is supposed to be aimed more at ordinary consumers then they have to include a useable screen protector with the package.

Originally Posted by powder2000 View Post
IMHO not something to demand a refund for. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you on this.
Just to clarify (I did edit shortly after posting) I'd be demanding a screen protector from them, not the whole tablet.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Anidel and powder2000 are correct. That film is for shipping protection only. It is NOT a screen protector as most understand them, nor will it function well as one.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Anidel and powder2000 are correct. That film is for shipping protection only. It is NOT a screen protector as most understand them, nor will it function well as one.
Well, if that's true, I've got to say I'm flabbergasted. I don't see any kind of warning anywhere on the packaging telling me to buy a screen protector, nor is there one bundled with it.

There is however something stuck to the screen that looks just like a screen protector, so I assumed it was one.

So if I actually use this device without any third party products, it will permanently ruin the screen after just a few weeks? Is that really a wise thing for a device that costs about $600 here in Europe?

This is the equivalent of selling an expensive car with things that LOOK just like tyres but are actually completely unroadworthy.

With non-touch devices this is all understandable, the screen doesn't come under much stress, but with a touch-based devices they shouldn't be shipping them without offering proper protection of the screen.

Last edited by krisse; 2008-01-11 at 15:25.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
I've been using my N800 without the screen protector for several months now and there's no degradation in touchscreen performance.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcadden For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
I've been using my N800 without the screen protector for several months now and there's no degradation in touchscreen performance.
Yes, but there must be lots of scratches all over the screen?

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Are you saying they expect people to use the stylus directly on the actual screen?
Exactly.
The touch screens are scratch resistant. To some extent.
They are designed to be used without any sticker on them.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Yes, but there must be lots of scratches all over the screen?
actually, not really. I used it with the 'screen protector' on for several several months, and that thing was scratched to heck, so I was hesitant to pull it off. I fully intended to get a replacement one, but never did, and now I've noticed that there's nary a scratch.

I can post pics/vid if you'd like?