Notices

I'm using Maemo 5 on a nokia n900, and I'm having a problem with making outgoing GV calls. In my GV account settings, I have my screen name set to the number of the n900. Should it be set instead to my GV number?
I also get different behavior depending on how I format the callback (i.e. 650xxxxxxx as opposed to +1 (650) xxx-xxxx). What is the correct way to input the number?

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Berkeley, CA
I cannot receive GV calls using bluetooth.

VoIP calls (both SIP and Skype) do go through two Bluetooth headsets which support HFP and HSP profiles.

My car built-in Bluetooth however, supports HFP and OPP profiles only. So, if calls come into my SIM card in N900, car Bluetooth picks up the ring using HandsFreeProfile (HFP) I suppose. But if the call comes into my VoIP accounts (both SIP and Skype) on N900, the car Bluetooth will not recognize the incoming call.

Is this because VoIP calls use HeadSetProfile (HSP) and not HandsFreeProfile (HFP)? Is there anything I can do to remedy this by sending VoIP calls using HFP just like SIM calls?

Many thanks in advance.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by dear_theophilus View Post
I'm using Maemo 5 on a nokia n900, and I'm having a problem with making outgoing GV calls. In my GV account settings, I have my screen name set to the number of the n900. Should it be set instead to my GV number?
I also get different behavior depending on how I format the callback (i.e. 650xxxxxxx as opposed to +1 (650) xxx-xxxx). What is the correct way to input the number?
You are correct, screenname should be the outgoing number.

What version of The One Ring are you using?

Originally Posted by epage View Post

I'm actually not sure, how can I tell?

I'm confused on another point as well. Under Accounts, I can set a "screenname", and also under advanced settings I can input a number for "forwarding". Which of these is the callback number, and which if either should be set to my GV number? Thanks.

I'm actually not sure, how can I tell?
If you go to the Application Manager's uninstall screen you can select the plugin and check the details for the version.

I'm confused on another point as well. Under Accounts, I can set a "screenname", and also under advanced settings I can input a number for "forwarding". Which of these is the callback number, and which if either should be set to my GV number? Thanks.
At first "forwarding" was the way things were configured. I added screenname support as an experiment that I wasn't sure I'd keep. Then I found out that I had to go the screenname route for Maemo 4.1 So I guess ignore "forwarding", I need to remove it.

If you go to the Application Manager's uninstall screen you can select the plugin and check the details for the version.

At first "forwarding" was the way things were configured. I added screenname support as an experiment that I wasn't sure I'd keep. Then I found out that I had to go the screenname route for Maemo 4.1 So I guess ignore "forwarding", I need to remove it.
The problem with confusing these two fields (by the users AND apparently the programmer, Mr. Page) is that when you send SMS with this app, it uses the screen name as ID which if a call back number is used (as you are suggesting one should) then a call back number that is unfamiliar for the receiving end will be shown.

In other words, when I am texting someone, I would like them to see my number as GV number, but they see an unknown callback number (to them) which I am forced to use as screen name by your design. When I put my GV number as screen name, of course nothing works even if I have the correct callback number in the forward field.

The forward number should be what it says, i.e., callback number. And the screen name should be able to take any string as in username, alias, or at least GV number as a caller ID.

What do you mean by outgoing number?

GV number? then it won't work at all.

Originally Posted by asasan View Post
The problem with confusing these two fields (by the users AND apparently the programmer, Mr. Page) is that when you send SMS with this app, it uses the screen name as ID which if a call back number is used (as you are suggesting one should) then a call back number that is unfamiliar for the receiving end will be shown.

In other words, when I am texting someone, I would like them to see my number as GV number, but they see an unknown callback number (to them) which I am forced to use as screen name by your design. When I put my GV number as screen name, of course nothing works even if I have the correct callback number in the forward field.

The forward number should be what it says, i.e., callback number. And the screen name should be able to take any string as in username, alias, or at least GV number as a caller ID.
I think there might be some confusion. The screenname only appears on your side. When you send a text, the receiving side receives a text from your GV number.

I think my problem had to do with my wireless connection. Do you need an internet connection to make calls with TOR?

Tags
google voice, maemo 4, maemo 5