Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Mer for X86, Nokia N8x0, Nokia 770 and SmartQ5/7 version 0.16

Information about Mer can be found at http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer and everything you need to know about the release on http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Releases/0.16. It also has an impressive list of known issues so please read them through first before installing and then complaining about them before checking if we already noticed

We have also put up some general installation information and those with clone-to-SD Maemo will find this good to read through.

0.16 is a transitional release to 0.17 where we switch to the Fremantle hildon-desktop and our 'plain' desktop (based on qtablet) depending on GL ability. Since it is transitional it is breaking in some places. We just had to get the release out there to move on to 0.17 shinyness

Mer is still a work in progress and as such you should not expect too much of it (note long list of known issues). We are in dire need of hands, both coders, architects/designers, testers, or anyone passionate about mobile development, so if you think you can contribute, you're more than welcome to join us in this community effort.

If you would like to participate, read through http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/People and http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Sprints (this includes a guide on how to participate actively - simple procedures!) and see if there's anything you can help out with. We're on #mer on FreeNode, IRC, if you'd like to hang out and discuss.

Thanks to all the people helping out with testing, development, design, etc. This community project wouldn't move ahead without you (you're far too many to list by now, but see mer-chatter archives for those active on there).
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2009-10-18 at 16:14.

The Following 68 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I don't see this mentioned on the known issues section, but various keys on the n800 keyboard are missing either a gliph or text (esc, tab, enter, backspace, the key that invokes the menu and the key that hides the keyboard). Also, I don't see a ctrl key.

Edit: ctrl is in the xterm toolbar but it doesn't work (yet).

Last edited by luca; 2009-10-18 at 13:56.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ italy
it says that the installation file is corrupted (the merinstaller I mean) ç_ç

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Portugal
Seems to have installed fine. Tried to get the advanced-power but doesn't work. Also sound doesn't seem to work on n810
Thanks for all the Mer team for an incredible work!

Hi, I´m new to Mer, where can i get the gdebi to install deb applications in Mer and where can i get alsa because i have no sound.
tanks

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
If this is my first time considering mer, it would be better to wait until .17 right? Will there be GL support for the N8x0 series once TI releases the drivers? Will this mean fremantle desktop?

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
First time I flashed Mer onto my n800.

All I need are the first 2 files, right?

sudo ./flasher -k mer-armel-n8x0-flashrootfs-v0.16.zImage -r mer-armel-n8x0-image-v0.16.jffs2 -f -R

I flashed it, but after a few minutes, it ends up rebooting while I'm clicking around. Guess its not stable yet.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think most people should wait till .17. I gave up on .16 after about five minutes.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
I will gladely test the OS, as it is the most useful system on my N800. While staying a campus with LEAP encryption, not supported by maemo.

I am running 0.16.

I haven't got enough experience to code, but I'll report bugs when I experience them.

Best regards, and thanks to #mer for helping me install mer on a tablet without internet acces

Jakob

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I'd be glad to test Mer, problem is I cannot get online... It's a known NM problem with hidden WPA-networks, but knowing it's known doesn't change the fact that Mer, for me, is an offline operationg system at the moment.

(This isn't new to 0.16, btw, it's always been this way. Ideas for workaround appreciated.)

Tags
mer, release