Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
Anyone know where the startup sound file is on the N9 so it can be replaced by silence (or something else)?

The Following User Says Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
+1

I get ear constipation every time I hear that crap.

The Following User Says Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
If you poke the screen before it makes the noise (or during), it'll be silent.
That doesn't really answer your question, but still.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
I know of a way. In fact, I figured out how to take off the custom videos put into place by carriers without a firmware flash. I need to verify it today though. I was able to remove the SingTel video put into place by the branded phone I received without a firmware flash.

So the sound is part of the startup video, just like the N900?

Well sorry my method doesn't work for the startup sound. It worked from removing the SingTel AVI though. Go to your terminal and type this in:

% devel-su
[password]

# cd /etc/mwelcome.d/
# ls

If there are any numbered files here, it means your carrier has placed them in here. You can use the following command to get rid of the video:

# mv filename.conf /home/user/MyDocs

We are moving so in case something doesn't work, we can move it back. Reboot your mobile and your avi should be gone. This won't work for the base Nokia vid though. The filename for the Nokia video is default-nokia-hands.avi.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaGr8Gatzby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
This worked:

Before you switch off your N900, make sure to put it on silent mode. When you re-start, there will be NO start up tune.

I don't have a carrier phone, and I like the startup video fine, I just want to get rid of the sound.

The proposed solutions won't work for me because (a) I will forget/don't want to be bothered fussing with the phone before or during startup, (b) my wife needs a solution that will "just work" - i.e., no startup sound.

If the sound file is part of the video I guess I could edit it to take out the sound and then put it back.

The Following User Says Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New Zealand
Thanks - i have a Sing Tel unit too & definitely want that vid gone!
Originally Posted by DaGr8Gatzby View Post
Well sorry my method doesn't work for the startup sound. It worked from removing the SingTel AVI though. Go to your terminal and type this in:

% devel-su
[password]

# cd /etc/mwelcome.d/
# ls

If there are any numbered files here, it means your carrier has placed them in here. You can use the following command to get rid of the video:

# mv filename.conf /home/user/MyDocs

We are moving so in case something doesn't work, we can move it back. Reboot your mobile and your avi should be gone. This won't work for the base Nokia vid though. The filename for the Nokia video is default-nokia-hands.avi.

Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
This worked:

Before you switch off your N900, make sure to put it on silent mode. When you re-start, there will be NO start up tune.
This is about the N9, not the N900.