Notices

Is this program still alive?

Had anyone tested this yet, I would like to read some feedback, see screencaps or even better a video of how it works.

Nice, but I wonder why isn't it in repos already, at least in extras-devel. It probably makes no difference, but I'm wary of downloading and installing an app that has access to my personal data, gps coordinates, camera and internet all the time from anything else than repositories.

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Ancelot View Post
Nice, but I wonder why isn't it in repos already, at least in extras-devel. It probably makes no difference, but I'm wary of downloading and installing an app that has access to my personal data, gps coordinates, camera and internet all the time from anything else than repositories.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=10

Oops, thanks!

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Ancelot View Post
Sorry I haven't been active. Haven't checked the forums for atleast a month.

The beauty of open source, is that you're completely able to check the source code for any malware. I don't understand why you'd rather download a .deb from the repository, as it could just as likely have malware as this could (unless somebody is checking the source code of every piece of application in the repositories)

I'll look into creating a .deb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marcus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ United Kingdom
So if someone steals my n900, I can contact Prey who would let me know where my phone is located? How far is this from being finished?

EDIT: Just downloaded it and extracted the zip folder to my documents folder. Now what do I do? I see numerous folders but am clueless as to what to do

Last edited by gohan2091; 2011-09-11 at 19:12.

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by gohan2091 View Post
So if someone steals my n900, I can contact Prey who would let me know where my phone is located? How far is this from being finished?

EDIT: Just downloaded it and extracted the zip folder to my documents folder. Now what do I do? I see numerous folders but am clueless as to what to do
Did you even follow the wiki?

Prey provides a control panel on their website, which gives you control of your stolen device, if internet is available of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marcus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Did you even follow the wiki?

Prey provides a control panel on their website, which gives you control of your stolen device, if internet is available of course.
No, I didn't read the wiki, my bad. Will do that now. Thanks!

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ switzerland
Thanks for the app, but i have some trouble to make it work.

I was able to install all dependencies without much trouble and followed the wiki for fcron.

I configured the prey config with id both of device and account
I configured the fcrontab: */10 * * * * /usr/share/prey/prey.sh > /var/log/prey.log

now, i created an account on Prey website and set my device as missing to check if everything went fine.

Here is my problem, it seems that fcron does not start the prey script as it should. i do not receive any report.
If i manually start the prey.sh (using bash because i am getting error using sh), everything is fine and i receive the report.

I checked in top and have the fcron -b running

Did i miss something about fcron or do you have any idea why the report is not automatically generated?

Thanks in advance