Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Maybe I'm wrong on this but here's my take...

Harmattan can be called MeeGo 1 for all I care, as long as Harmattan devices can be upgraded to the fully integrated MeeGo 2.

I hate to bring up the subject of device upgrades, but if the illusion is given that Harmattan *is* "MeeGo" (albeit with DEB packaging etc.) then it's a nonsense to release a different and technically incompatible MeeGo (with RPM packaging) only for those Harmattan users to discover they weren't actually running the real deal after all, and can't upgrade to the real deal either.

If a Harmattan upgrade path is built into the MeeGo plan then Harmattan could be based on a Windows kernel and nobody should care - it's only a transitional and temporary step in order to get to the promised land: MeeGo.

If the intention is for Harmattan to have a life beyond MeeGo then it would be wrong to confuse matters by referring to Harmattan as "MeeGo" because it's not MeeGo.

However if Harmattan is meant to be replaced by MeeGo - and users *can* replace Harmattan with MeeGo - then I would see no problem in blurring the distinction and allow both to be called MeeGo (perhaps v1 and v2...) and the sooner Harmattan and even Maemo is forgotten, the better.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
But does that apply to Harmattan, as was mentioned on one of the email lists earlier?
Yes, the issue is with Harmattan (and Moblin). Only Nokia can (un)brand Harmattan. MeeGo 1.0 as a result of a *finished* Moblin+Maemo merger I understand. QGil in this very thread said a month ago:

Originally Posted by qgil
Maemo 6 and Moblin 2.x merge and have a successor called MeeGo
So far so good. But as time went by, both Maemo 6 and Moblin 2.2 picked up on the MeeGo moniker, so it's no longer just the result or successor that is called MeeGo. Maemo 6 is now MeeGo / Harmattan, and worse yet, moblin folks refer to Moblin 2.2 simply as MeeGo, which translates the above statement to MeeGo / Harmattan and MeeGo merge and have a successor called MeeGo. That can't be right... Harmattan and Moblin 2.2 as sort of ProtoMeeGo are okay, but pushing them under a MeeGo 1.0 umbrella will be a stretch no matter how you do it (being both better and worse ways of communicating this to people not interested in details, just general compatibility and upgrades).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
I think the confusion arise from a confusing (fast changing) market. Cellphone are not what they use to be and people have come to expect more computer-like feature from them (see any FUD thread on tmo).

If I remember correctly even Google surprised a lot of people when they announced their Chrome OS. Why another OS when you already have Android ? I believe it is because right now we have "book sized internet portal" (netbook) and "pocket sized internet portal" (smartphone).

Nokia and Intel are just trying to merge the two worlds (duh !). So yeah, Maemo + Moblin = MeeGo on some device that is half smartphone and half notebook. I am not speaking of the next Harmattan device here. The one after, after that.

For now we will have to live with the (marketing created) confusion. In my opinion they should keep Maemo branding for smartphone and Moblin branding for netbook.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This is a simple request to rename this forum but it's worth getting into more details to clarify things.

Harmattan is the name of the software program that comes after Fremantle / Maemo 5. In the Maemo Summit we already announced it as "Maemo 6" in order to bring a clear signal about the major update, change of toolkit, etc.

Now MeeGo comes to the picture. "Maemo 6" will not be used by Nokia as a brand since all the marketing effort around the software platform will be around MeeGo.

Point of order:

"Simple" requests to rename (sub) forums should not be made in posts in the subforums themselves, they should be made in posts in the community subforum whose function is precisely "Website and community discussion".

You explained why the text Maemo 6 should be dropped from the forum's name and this makes sense. You explained why Harmattan is still valid. And that makes sense. You then asked to attach the text Meego which appears to be the new name of the operating system brand to the name of Harmattan which is an OS *version*. in which case it should not have included the "/" character just like there is no "/" between Maemo and 4 or Maemo and 5.

Is Meego like Windows or Windows 7?
Is Meego like Ubuntu or Ubuntu Karmic Koala?
Is Meego like Mac OS X or is it Mac OS X Snow Leopard?

Hm..bad example. But Apple gets away with a lot of stuff Nokia can't.

Personally I think the forum should have been renamed
"Maemo 6/Harmattan/Nokia ancestor of Meego"

where one could ask questions like "how to convert rpm's to deb's

We could also have created a subforum under the OS forum called

"Moblin 2/Intel ancestor of Meego" where we could ask questions like "how to convert deb's to rpm's?"

Finally we could create yet another subforum "Meego 1/Adaptable Alex" or whatever "A" word or combination of words you want to use. In this forum we could ask questions like "WHEN IT IS COMING!!!?!?!11!1" (typos added for humor)

Btw is Harmattan/MeeGo release date still May like it was said in the 2009 Maemo event?

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Interesting question tissot. Would be interesting if they're still on track with Harmattan

(And if not, we could start a speculation thread about the Harmattan SDK release date...)

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Don't you just love speculations... -.-

Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
Don't you just love speculations... -.-
That's what keeps man alive.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Btw is Harmattan/MeeGo release date still May like it was said in the 2009 Maemo event?
Huh ? Harmattan is 2H2010, unless you refer to the Harmattan alpha SDK. We might see MeeGo 1.0, though i'm not sure if it will also not sport a 'beta' or 'alpha' moniker (and no, that one is still not for end-users).

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Precisely yesterday I was thinking that this thread about naming could be de-sticked.

Posts #145 and following are a different topic,please move to a new thread.

Tags
branding, buying nokia devices, buying non-nokia devices, intel is stinky, intel rocks, maemo, maemo 6, meego, meego versions, moblin, nokia, see tintin go bye-bye, sm - go back into hiding