Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
MeeGo is supposed to run on a variety of devices in its basic form, but the Nokia MeeGo version (formely known as Maemo 6, which still has Debian roots AFAIR) for the future device is not, it's only for new devices. So forget about MeeGo on the N900, it's only for developers and nerds. Maemo 5 is what it is, it's going to be improved.

I can't stand reading these reactionary opinions about "Nokia losing early adopters". What early adopters? To Maemo 5? There will be updates for many months to come.

Nobody ever promised anything and suddenly people feel untitled to a free upgrade to a completely new, partially proprietary system for a completely new device. Looking back at history, Nokia has *never* backported a new system to an older device, *never*. Be happy with hardware support in the basic MeeGo image with proprietary hardware drivers included, because that's already a lot, by Nokia standards.
That's the famous fanboy speech I've heard so many times...

Forget your devotion for just a minute and think from the consumer point of view.... I just don't care what are Nokia standards and its past history. In the past the market was pretty different and Nokia was not competing with Android and iPhone!! I am not saying I love one of these competitors, but Nokia is now entering a huge fight against huge companies. Like it or not Maemo 5 was since the beginning a device for geeks, and there won't be much improved after Meego is released. I doubt you can point me any roadmap to Maemo 5 updates... or better, check if N800/N810 owners are getting a lot of updates or even new applications lately!!

But after seeing your signature I understand you are a developer asking donations for Decoders Support you ported, so now things are more clear. You are not just a consumer, you are getting some money with Maemo 5, so it is not of your interest that somebody complain about Nokia not offering Meego on N900.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Complementing my last post, most members should already know Adobe launched Flash 10.1 for Android first, not Maemo 5.... I don't doubt they will launch it just for Meego!!

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...046#post668046

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
We can hope for Maemo 5 to be supported by a dedicated team for quite a long time and have a MeeGo development platform on the N900, but not a full, Nokia-supported upgrade path with Maemo5-like functionality and proprietary applications. This is how this business works, but also because of the multitouch capacitive screen the MeeGo device is going to have (this is confirmed), some (maybe many) usage scenarios will simply not function on a resistive, single touch device. So an official upgrade path is a no-no. Everyone is invited to install the MeeGo image with Handset UX, but don't expect much.

I will be glad to be proven otherwise, but that's how I see it and I think it's closer to reality than many of you imagine.
Well not quite. This is how NOKIAīs Linux people work.

Business, as in the competitors, Apple, Microsoft and Google have provided platform updates on the OS itself after devices with older versions had been out for months, even years.

Maybe the Linux people at Nokia need to come out of their dark basement offices and mingle a little bit with the outside world...let them see the sun every once in a while.

On the Symbian side my N95-1 was still getting considerable upgrades 3 years after I bought it.

Isnīt Apple Iphone OS 4 coming to the 2nd Generation Iphones this summer?

Last edited by olighak; 2010-05-20 at 18:49.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
OS 4 will come to 3G but no multitasking.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by resplendent2209 View Post
OS 4 will come to 3G but no multitasking.
Right, but itīs still coming. Fully supported and provided by Apple.

There may be reasons that some functions do not come over, based on some hardware limitations. I mean my 10 years old laptop with a CD drive doesnīt write DVD RWīs, and I donīt go bonkers because it canīt.

But I do expect Nokia to support this device which had and still has potential, that is tremendously under-realized, for quite some while.

Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Business, as in the competitors, Apple, Microsoft and Google have provided platform updates on the OS itself after devices with older versions had been out for months, even years.
I know Apple has (though this ends soon for the first iPhones) but Microsoft? Surely you jest. Sometimes HTC is nice enough to release upgraded ROMs, but usually it's people migrating to xda-developers for new ROMs. Ditto for Android devices, which are even more dependent on wrestling control away from the carrier and device manufacturer (or worse, impossible if you bought certain Motorola devices.)

Maybe the Linux people at Nokia need to come out of their dark basement offices and mingle a little bit with the outside world...let them see the sun every once in a while.
Maybe you need some perspective on just how hostile other vendors really are, and how you paint a pretty picture of them because you hate Nokia.

Isnīt Apple Iphone OS 4 coming to the 2nd Generation Iphones this summer?
The 3G models yes, the 2.5G models are SOL. I suspect Apple will stick to that cadence. Next to go will be the 3G (slow CPU) then the 3GS.

There may be reasons that some functions do not come over, based on some hardware limitations.
OId, slow CPU.

But I do expect Nokia to support this device which had and still has potential, that is tremendously under-realized, for quite some while.
It has tons of potential to be exploited, I don't see why everyone expected Nokia to do it all for them when it was never geared as such. If you want a device where the OS comes packed with phone stuff and an app store to nickel and dime you, then perhaps a Symbian phone would have been right up your alley.

Last edited by wmarone; 2010-05-20 at 18:58.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
I know Apple has (though this ends soon for the first iPhones) but Microsoft? Surely you jest. Sometimes HTC is nice enough to release upgraded ROMs, but usually it's people migrating to xda-developers for new ROMs. Ditto for Android devices, which are even more dependent on wrestling control away from the carrier and device manufacturer (or worse, impossible if you bought certain Motorola devices.)

Maybe you need some perspective on just how hostile other vendors really are, and how you paint a pretty picture of them because you hate Nokia.

The 3G models yes, the 2.5G models are SOL. I suspect Apple will stick to that cadence. Next to go will be the 3G (slow CPU) then the 3GS.
Donīt go blind on the fanboy side. I donīt hate Nokia. I like their hardware side. And I loved my N95-1.

Iīve been buying almost all Nokiaīs for 15 years now.

Itīs the software deficiencies, which a community of well meaning amateurs cannot replace, of the developers at Nokiaīs linux department that I do not appreciate.

Donīt go blind on the fanboy side.
Criticism of a false point regarding other vendors now makes me a fanboy. Right.

Itīs the software deficiencies, which a community of well meaning amateurs cannot replace
Good job insulting the entire community.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
I expect so too, especially as Apple has to raise their hardware specs to match their competitors (mainly on the Android front). Even now with the leaked Apple prototypes I think the HTC Incredible and the Evo are still more impressive spec wise. Of course there's the user experience that's important too (but Android and HTC are constantly improving that).

Though Apple is doing a great job of bugfixes and application support for the older devices.

For Meego I think the best we can hope for is

a) working hardware with a very rudimentary OS GUI (there's gotta be something for the developers to boot into after all).
b) application support thru QT compatibility

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
MeeGo is going to be compatible with then N900's hardware, there's also going to be some reference apps, like a simple dialer. Anyone with an N900 waiting for MeeGo to be feature-equal with Maemo5 is delusional, sorry. You'll need to buy a new MeeGo platform phone with Nokia's proprietary, advanced applications. Anything else does not make sense from a business standpoint.
I think you have correctly summarized Nokia's position on the N900, which is why in a few years their portion of the mobile phone market will consist entirely of 10 euro flip phones sold in sub-Saharan Africa.

They *must* stop abandoning their high end products as soon as they release a newer device. Or when they decide to change software directions. They are alienating their end customers, and developers will ignore their products because they will never have a large customer base which can run the same apps.

Last edited by Ken-Young; 2010-05-20 at 21:53.

Tags
black hole, vortex of dumb