Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
If I see a new thread which I think should be merged with an existing thread, or that I think would be better in a different section, what's the best way to report this? Usually I add a post to the thread, but a moderator might not see this. I could use the exclamation mark in the top-right of the first post in the thread, which would bring it to the attention of the moderators, but that's usually for reporting abuse or spam. What do the moderators prefer?

I don't normally like to bump, but do any of the moderators have any comment on this?

Sorry, what's too much of a pain? Moderators already do move and merge threads, so I'm just asking what's the best way for us to tell them about such threads if they don't notice it themselves. E.g.:
  • Top-right exclamation mark button
  • Adding a post in the thread suggesting it be merged or moved
  • Starting a central thread somewhere where we can point mods in the right direction
If the mods are happy to do the trawling and finding move/merge candidates themselves, then that's fine, I just thought they may like some help from the community.

Last edited by pelago; 2009-11-12 at 13:52.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I could use the exclamation mark in the top-right of the first post in the thread, which would bring it to the attention of the moderators...
Sorry, I had refrained from replying sooner in case Reggie wanted to weigh in on this, but as he hasn't, I'll give my opinion:

Please go ahead with using "Report This" / "!" to provide notification of threads that should be merged, split, moved, etc. For merges, if you can provide the URLs to all threads involved, it will make acting on the request much easier. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Thanks sjgadsby, and thanks for the various threads that I've noticed you've moved/merged recently.

I will use the "Report Post" / "!" button as you suggest. This is good as I would prefer to use that to posting in the thread itself, as posting in the thread seems a little rude (and also, unless the mods make a special effort, the "please merge this thread" posts stay in the merged thread!)

Maybe the text that appears when clicking the "Report Post" / "!" button could be softened. Currently it says:

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.
Maybe it should mention moves, merges, splits etc. too.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Yes, using the Report button is useful. Specially useful when it comes to merge threads since most of times those merges are not so evident from reading the subject only.

fyi what I'm doing from time to time is watching the N900 forum (mostly) scanning threads with more than 10 posts to see if they are in the right forum. Posts with <10 are only moved when they happen to be in the way and they are clearly out of place.