timoph, can't agree with Your sarcasm. It wasn't thread about updating /intro/ page - it was (and is, from the very beginning) about what the heck maemo.org will be in 6 months. Aspect of updating /intro/ page was only mentioned as a result of such conclusion (+ as good starting point to think about "define Maemo"). you're missing reason and effect here.

I agree - as said before - that many points from previous discussions are re-hashed here. Difference here is, that we have now someone who is able to answer - at least partially - specific questions about Nokia position, which wasn't the case before.

Also, many things - like OBS, funding, etc, are now much more clear, that were few months ago, when majority of mentioned discussions took place. +, You seem to fail @ realizing, that this isn't about any fragmentation. Adopting some device as our "reference" or "target" (as FOSS as we're able at given point of time) is real, major thing. for now, obviously N900 stand in this role (and doing very well, thanks to dedicated people like kernel-power and CSSU team), but hardware aging is a fact. It;s better to have new device, at least in far horizon - for now, there is none.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
For me Qt is the most important thing going on in open source right now so we could as well rename maemo.org to qt-devices.org. I've already preordered the first blackberry 10 device

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
fortunately, not everyone shares Your view here, and few bastards care about upstream kernels, X, and such old-fashioned things
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Estel, you are very vocal in this discussion here, and that's OK. But you do it in an aggressive way, and you demand that we respect your opinion while seemingly showing little respect for other people's opinion.

Consider that others are less likely to participate in this discussion if a certain hostility threshold is reached. Perhaps that's your goal, but it's not mine.

Everyone is different, please keep that in mind.

I apologize for having to talk to you in such a "lecturing" way, I am sure you know all of this already and probably just forget about it in the heat of moment.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mikhas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
What problem are you willing to solve by "handling Maemo trademark to community"? I'm not a legal expert but I guess a trademark needs to be own by a legal entity, being an individual or a constituted organization. As for today "the community" is none of that. You can hint again to the need of creating a legal entity, but still it would be good to know first the problem you want to solve.

If maemo.org wants to increase its scope beyond the Maemo OS I don't see why it can't.

If maemo.org wants to be renamed to something else, this doesn't affect the Maemo trademark.
I think it would be silly if the website located at domain name maemo.org was called something else. So maemo.org wouldn't be renamed, it would move to a different domain name or do a redirect. So then who should own and operate this other domain name - the community or Nokia? is it a problem for Nokia if this other domain were to be owned and operated by a community non-profit (with a disclaimer clarifying it was not an official site of Nokia)? In fact, Nokia would gain the advantage of tax deductible contribution and lessened liability.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Easier and more effective than changing the name, would be changing what the current name means! This is what happened to products like Coke. Eventually some people like me started referring to all carbonated soft drinks as cokes! The problem this solved was it gave me a quick and convenient and short way of referring to those drinks.

Of course, the Coca-Cola company objected.

Similarly, what Maemo means could be redefined and broadened.

But I think Nokia would object.

There is always the possibility of going back to Internet Tablet Talk...

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
@geneven

maemo.org != ITT. We're not talking about forum-only - it's just part of whole infrastructure. important, but not most important. Also, it was stated in the past, that Reggie isn't very supportive towards hosting forum for any non-Nokia organization. ITT is hardly any solution.

@mikhas
I appreciate Your effort to keep discussion calm, but honestly, you could just use PM for things like that. Still, sorry if You felt offended in any moment.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
@geneven

maemo.org != ITT. We're not talking about forum-only - it's just part of whole infrastructure. important, but not most important. Also, it was stated in the past, that Reggie isn't very supportive towards hosting forum for any non-Nokia organization. ITT is hardly any solution.
Wow, I never thought that I was un-supportive of "hosting a forum for any non-Nokia organization" up until now. LOL.

Just to clarify, I was against moving maemo.org to a maemocommunity.org. I also run several forums that are "non-Nokia."

Anyone can create their own site with a forum. It's not hard. The hard part is getting folks with the same vision to support and help with the site.

Btw, it would be great if you stop speaking for me. Thanks.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
For instance: Vivaldi tablet. http://makeplaylive.com/

No idea about their plans to build a user community but to pick it as an example: would they have a place here? Would it be worth to actively invite them around?
Vivaldi community emerging at http://opentablets.org (self included). And of course there are strong synergies...

Also, this is yet another thread I would hate to moderate simply because some people forget how to be thoughtful and considerate at times (nothing to do with Quim's posts, but in regards to some afterwards)...

Last edited by Texrat; 2012-05-03 at 18:05.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
To be honest, I would just remove that page, I don't think it actually serves any purpose.
(I must be turning into a wikipedia deletionist )
That's actually a useful part of the discussion.

I see that an intro *should* serve a purpose-- so in your opinion, is it the mere concept that fails, or just the current implementation?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
cyanogen, goodbye maemo, tizen, winding down