Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by igguk1 View Post
<SNIP>
They've outlined all of that, were just waiting on them validating it, they explained many mths ago that all of the UX layer will be open, only core/native apps will be closed.
As for openness at the lowest lvl(s) (the drivers etc), how do you propose that would/could work?
What's more important is all the glue in between, & so far they've indicated that'll be open, we're just waiting for all the detail.
Much of it's already very public thanks to progress with MeR/Nemo, but it just needs to be put into nice & shiny Sailfish charts/graphics, & the missing bits added.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-21 at 09:03. Reason: typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Check out my 'other-half'. It goes into production later this year. Price is 1000 euros, and I'm accepting pre-orders for 200 euros. No free t-shirts.

Is the tape included? That would be a deal breaker for me. :-)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
It was confirmed in one of the Engadget articles, think it was a video tour they did with Marc.
This is a basic feature, I doubt they'd leave it out, but who knows in the end...

Don't feed, just report, the higher the report ratio, the greater the likelihood his excrement will be washed away.

While that's still fresh in your mind, here's some more background_info/detail to help things sink in further:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...85#post1345385
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...11#post1345411
quite intresting xyz review i read earlier

it wasent about that i mean general people who fear of a underdevloped device or else the people who think it to be something ubiqutous come ranting with bla bla bla

isint that enough for now i.e what jolla showed us?? I dont know what ubiquous things people were thinking of??
Its more than enough progress for a startup multinational company . And they also need the buzz going afterall

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
As for openness at the lowest lvl(s) (the drivers etc), how do you propose that would/could work?
Actually that's the easiest part to be implemented as totally open source, and I would really like to see all drivers opened.

Why do you think HW drivers are so difficult to open? The chip/module vendors should have nothing against that, since the use of the drivers implies the use of the respective HW blocks, which implies higher sales for the said HW blocks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I kind of disagreee here... Whats a camel; a horse designed by committee.
You cannot get a clear design vision out of polling randoim dudes off the net, sorry.
Might sound a bit elitist but it's a fact of life
Why not?

It would be "unlike" anything on the market.
I have a feeling most "geeks" would've chosen a +5in device with super-shaved bezels. A slab form-factor with an attachable hwkbd. Decent specs, decent ux, decent price.

I'm flattered

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Actually that's the easiest part to be implemented as totally open source, and I would really like to see all drivers opened.

Why do you think HW drivers are so difficult to open? The chip/module vendors should have nothing against that, since the use of the drivers implies the use of the respective HW blocks, which implies higher sales for the said HW blocks.
i think juiceme wants a cd shipped in

btw its a trival thing for devlopent in the afterlife

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009

I know in theory it's totally do-able, but in practicality that's generally not been the case, as the industry has shown.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Why not? It would be "unlike" anything on the market.
I have a feeling most "geeks" would've chosen a +5in device with super-shaved bezels. A slab form-factor with an attachable hwkbd. Decent specs, decent ux, decent price.
>5" & a attachable/modular keyb? No thanks.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-21 at 09:57.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Why not?

It would be "unlike" anything on the market.
right now they don't need geeks so much
sales is made up of two things
  • -1- unit price
  • -2- number of units sold

for geeks
  • -1- doesn't really matter, does it; they are fan, they'll pay pretty much any price to get one
  • -2- history doesn't repeat itself, it stutters... seem Maemo

for commercial success
  • -1- can be balanced, but oddly (see the display crap on iPotato devices) the real technical performances don't matter that much; what matters is the "shine", impress your buddies (who don't know any better ¦-)))))
  • -2- obviously, a higher price (without the shiny stuff) means lower sales
    • N9 had
      • swype
      • an amazing unibody
      • is/was a NOKIA (stunning camera, but after elopocalypse, possibly more trouble then help... )
      • would have sold a lot more w/out elopocalypse...
    • iPotato devices have shiny stuff that doesn't work, but nobody cares... it sells like mad b/c the buyers are flagrant ignorants (technologically speaking) and gobble up marketing poep like warm doughnuts...

right now they need a "shiny" device that SELLS
hopefully we'll get a hardware keyboard.

in fact, i'm sure we'll get one, just hope it'll be one designed by Jolla & carefully integrated
& i don't care so much about weight or size
as long as it stays connected as long as it is needed (not as long as some idiotic power management driver thinks it should be )
with a built in battery that may also backup the devices battery when not in use
the sky is the limit, indeed

I think I'll wait for the hardware keyboard version

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Zero Six View Post
I think I'll wait for the hardware keyboard version
I would love to see the next jolla device with keyboard. I'm not to fund of the idea of attachable keyboard.

Hope some 3pty android device manufacturer joins the boat and launching a slick keyboard device.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-05-21 at 10:41.

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red