Active Topics

I'm a little too close to this device to provide any real feedback, from the Nokia perspective, but I do have a few comments:

- Someone mentioned full phone proxy capability via bluetooth.
- Should include SMS and MMS minimum
- If we have to carry around a phone, keep it in your pocket/purse
- The form factor is great, as it is. Only, increase the pixel density.
- Improved tactile feedback on the hardware keyboard.
- More room on the hardware keyboard for those of us with fat fingers.
- Video recording. Hey, why not?
- Complete interface restructuring.
- Take pictures. Again, why not?
- Built in web server to serve aforementioned photos automatically.
- Better CPU and hardware decoders.

a bigass™ battery would be nice. one that could go around 12 hours with wifi and gps running.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Hi, if I can add to the conversation, I'd personally suggest to also write on the lines of "What would I like to be able to do with the tablet", instead of only purely technical lists of MOAR processing power, ram, sd slots, capacity, file formats, tilts and whatnots.

At the end of the day, technological progress will of course go on, as it always has. If a particular device has a 400mhz chip or a certain amount of ram of whatever, of course these numbers will increase in the future. But once the number goes to ... whatever the numbers then go to, then someone will request a larger number.

A request like "more hard keys" is imho a bit pointless - it all depends on what you would want to do with the device. For some use cases then the way to achieve it would be to add hard keys or whatever, and for other to remove even the ones that the device currently has. Perhaps you have already thought of these real use cases in your mind, but it would be great if you would not skip those when heading straight for the technical details.

(This is not to say that the technical details aren't also important, but at least I'd like to see what use cases you would want to _enable_ by adding those technicalities.)

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
er, a version that's a small touchscreen internet tablet (similar to the N810) that reveals a button layout so you can game like it's a Nintendo DS (I haven't used a DS). Keep the camera, etc. and keep it so fbreader is just as convenient to use. I don't know if that's realistic because I can't think of how to pull it off well
I mainly would like to see convenient to carry around in regular pocket (or belt loop or anyhow?) and designed to be usable for 3+ years to get the most value I realistically can
Right now the N800 is inbetween cargo pocket vs regular pocket, go one way or the other

Last edited by Jobester; 2007-10-27 at 09:50.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
These are great features that are already present! The DAVE drive may not be out, but the N810 will be able to connect to it through Bluetooth, or 802.11g. The GizmoPhone, or RTCOMM are sip clients ensuring hours of free (or low cost) calling!

I need a reak SIP app, so that i could connect to my providers sip, where I have free calling.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by iball View Post
A SIP client that works through a VPN tunnel would be nice.
That's NOT present on any Internet Tablet at the moment and even OS2008 won't have it from what's been said in the bugzilla report on it.
Some of us work at places where the Asterisk servers are behind Cisco PIX firewalls and would like to be able to have a "work phone" anywhere there's wi-fi.
Or we have SIP servers in our home (CommuniGate Pro, with the free community license). Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't GizmoPhone tied to Gizmo? And thus useless to me if I want to use my own SIP server? (same reason skype support isn't a big deal for me)

I want this thing to be my home phone handset :-)

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
gizmophone is probably tied to gizmo, I don't know (though I believe you can use another provider), but rtcom (the latest update, about one month old) has standard sip capabilities.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
isn't rtcom still in development?
(and unstable?)

I could write a list, but to me the General's list seems to cover it. And maybe throw in wimax, if feasible (for power requirements etc.).

And yes, we could of course also list what we want to do with it instead, as Ragnar suggests.. which sounds reasonable. However, what I've found over the time is that sometimes it's actually better to list the hardware requirements, because after a while (because of having been bitten before, and also the opposite) you develop a feel for what kind of features will open up the possibilities for you in the directions you want. So, a hw list it is, this time!

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
1) Expansion card support (e.g. to add a WiMax card or another communications card)

2) Good PIM and Office (so I can finally get rid of my Laptop)

3) 2 microSD cards

4) video out

5) SIP Phone

6) Bluetooth with possibility of controlling cell phones and other bluethooth devices (e.g. HD)

7) Faster processor and more internal memory

.. and keep the SW open source!

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist