Active Topics

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tampico, México
Originally Posted by slansr View Post
did you get them? how did it go?
i got 2 cyan housings and 1 white (i will sell the 2 cyans in mexican "ebay" to pay for my white one)

it was pretty easy to replace it, however i did stripped off one of the screw's head, but managed to take it out using surgery clippers (me being a doctor)

i tried both colors, first changed my black 16 gb to cyan, went for some days, then back to black for some days and then finally white, which I will keep, because it looks awesome!!

i got pretty good at it, and finally mastered the technique, i can disassembly and reassembly in less than 20 minutes. It shouldnt be hard, you just need the right tools, so you dont strip the screws. The russian video is well explained, the tricky part is unclipping the screen. Everything else was just plain easy.

Everything is working fine, antennas, camera, flash, jack and buttons, im glad i changed my case, because the black one was wearing off. If you have any specific question go ahead

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcastrog For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dcastrog View Post
i got 2 cyan housings and 1 white (i will sell the 2 cyans in mexican "ebay" to pay for my white one)
Where were you able to get a white one?

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tampico, México
from ebay, check it out

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
I've read that the Lumia 900's polycarbonate is matte which makes it a lot harder to slip out of the user's hand. I think I read somewhere that the newer white N9 case is also matte, if I'm wrong will they possibly update the N9 and Lumia 800 cases to be matte? That would give me great incentive to replace my shell.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
I've read that the Lumia 900's polycarbonate is matte which makes it a lot harder to slip out of the user's hand. I think I read somewhere that the newer white N9 case is also matte, if I'm wrong will they possibly update the N9 and Lumia 800 cases to be matte? That would give me great incentive to replace my shell.
The matt effect will wear off under use, so you may seriously consider if the extra work, cost and risk is worth a couple of months matt touch.

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
N9 and L800 blue, black and magenta are matte. They go a little glossy over time due to wear and/or greasy hands.
N9 and L800 white are gloss.
Afaik L900 is exactly the same setup.

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
I'm pretty sure I saw an official behind the scenes video where they talked to a nokian involved in the design process, and he said they chose to make the white N9 glossy because matte white looked too unimpressive or dull, something of that nature, if my memory serves me correctly that is.
I seriously doubt they would change design so late in a products life cycle anyway, when they're in store it's already very late for that kind of thing. Maybe if they were to pull a Samsung and release a million different versions with the same badge they could.
Saying that I have no doubt that if there's some third party making fascia covers they could go that route though, with the N8 they certainly didn't stick to Nokia's design, though the one I imported from china was really bad plastic, and didn't fit like the real thing.
I'd go genuine if I ever swapped a fascia again, that's for sure.

Last edited by HanzBlix; 2012-04-04 at 13:00.

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
I found this site when I was looking for N9 batteries last year....
KLC Finland
You might find their YouTube helpful too.
KLCFinland - YouTube
Unfortunately their English version of the site seems to not get updated much if at all, it still hasn't shown n9 parts, but in the Finnish version of the site they have some N9 parts, if you scroll to the bottom of the page I linked. They're a bit expensive for some of the parts e.g. 79.00 € for a body assembly, but if you're prepared to pay a premium to know it's genuine you might like those guys.

Last edited by HanzBlix; 2012-04-04 at 14:27. Reason: coz i can

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
Update from me - I managed to get everything out and unscrewed except one damn torx screw which was in mega-tight and the head got stripped. Massively annoying! So near yet so far. Borrowing a mini-dremel next weekend to kill the screw head (and potentially the N9) ... the saga continues ...
Hmm, are you still London based? My 64GB N9's a bit bashed in on the corners, and the thought of having a blue 64GB N9 is pretty cool.

Here you even say it's easy to transplant the screen. Since I've also got a spare 16GB one (black) with which I'm going to try doing Android development, swapping its screen for one which is cracked in the corner to restore my main device to pristine condition is enticing...

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Hmm, are you still London based? My 64GB N9's a bit bashed in on the corners, and the thought of having a blue 64GB N9 is pretty cool.

Here you even say it's easy to transplant the screen. Since I've also got a spare 16GB one (black) with which I'm going to try doing Android development, swapping its screen for one which is cracked in the corner to restore my main device to pristine condition is enticing...
Yeah I'm still here - managed to get the final screw out in the end (borrowing a dremel), so now I've got a lesser-spotted 64gb cyan. Took a little bit of getting used to the colour change, but it's pretty cool in a quirky way.

The screen is the easiest bit to get off if you're sufficiently cavalier and have a guitar pick type object to do a bit of levering.
The rest of the operation isn't entirely risk-free if you're not a microelectronics guru with a fistful of tools, as someone else on this forum managed to kill their usb connection, and I got a bit of sparky action from my battery trying to work out how to unclip it ("straight up" is the non-obvious answer). If that doesn't put you off (!), I can help you with transplanting/tools if you're local.
Looking on eBay, this seems to be the only full set of cyan stuff at the moment: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270928604297

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post: