Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Hootenholler View Post
The one that always bugs me is when people say "PIN Number"

As for the "concept" phone... pish.
PIN Number PIN Number PIN Number PIN Number

Bugger

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
My error, I was typing when I got interrupted... You've seen the result, but please don't fix it for me (ya)
You should have invested in a HAL9000 grammar and spell checker. I hear they're flawless, perfect in every way and cannot possibly have any errors.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Another common redundant expression: CD disk.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Is this to be the future of mobile technology? Is it to be that history repeats itself? Redudant redundancies? Well, at least this time around Microsoft doesn't have all the cards stacked against everyone else like they did during the PC desktop/laptop era. This is finally turning into the kind of evolution we SHOULD have had, instead of the sad, depressing, crying shame we ended up with during the Windows/Intel era. Perhaps it's not history repeating itself, then, so much as a history do-over?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Is this to be the future of mobile technology? Is it to be that history repeats itself? Redudant redundancies? Well, at least this time around Microsoft doesn't have all the cards stacked against everyone else like they did during the PC desktop/laptop era. This is finally turning into the kind of evolution we SHOULD have had, instead of the sad, depressing, crying shame we ended up with during the Windows/Intel era. Perhaps it's not history repeating itself, then, so much as a history do-over?
It is not Microsoft fault that no one was/is able to make anything better. Besides, I have had smartphones for ages already, and right now I cannot find a worthy replacement for my aging N900 even though the shops have zillions of different smartphones. I guess good old Microsoft/Nokia will come to rescue eventually, at least I hope so.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
It is not Microsoft fault that no one was/is able to make anything better. Besides, I have had smartphones for ages already, and right now I cannot find a worthy replacement for my aging N900 even though the shops have zillions of different smartphones. I guess good old Microsoft/Nokia will come to rescue eventually, at least I hope so.
I believe that nobody mastered coercion and software racketeering quite like Microsoft, alright! I think most people would agree that it certainly wasn't because the SOFTWARE was better. As I recall, everybody has had ample opportunity to meet General Protection Fault at one point or another in their lives. Sometimes many times in the same day.

Myesss. I'm sure Nokia will work FAMOUSLY with Microsoft. Famously. :P heheh

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
It is not Microsoft fault that no one was/is able to make anything better. (...)
Would you mind to tell me what do you know/remember about cases like ICQ vs MSN or Netscape vs Internet Explorer?

Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
Would you mind to tell me what do you know/remember about cases like ICQ vs MSN or Netscape vs Internet Explorer?
My first computer was the Commodore 64 (still have it), yes I am ancient What happened was the IBM PC being cloned and DOS being the only OS available. There were lots of other alternatives for personal computers, the Amiga for instance, but none could not compete with the clones. The fact that MS DOS was the OS was more of an coincident than anything else. The cloning of the IBM PC created an ecosystem of hardware manufactorers, and it was that ecosystem that killed off all competition, Microsoft was merely on for the ride.

I remember the first Internet Explorer. It was better than Netscape, but lacked functionality. In general Netscape sucked, slow and fluffy, it is only in recent days that Firefox has become good.

It is a long time yet before the mobile industry reach a similar state, it probably never will. The dynamics of the mobile industry will also affect the PC industry and change it drastically. This has already been going on for some time now but it will take time. This dynamic is the only reason closed systems like Apple can survive and why Android never will be the only one. The mobile industry is way to large and mobile computers are too personal, design and looks is a major factor - fashion comes into the equation.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I believe that nobody mastered coercion and software racketeering quite like Microsoft, alright! I think most people would agree that it certainly wasn't because the SOFTWARE was better. As I recall, everybody has had ample opportunity to meet General Protection Fault at one point or another in their lives. Sometimes many times in the same day.

Myesss. I'm sure Nokia will work FAMOUSLY with Microsoft. Famously. :P heheh
Microsoft was there at the right time, with the right piece of software. It was good enough and put Microsoft into a good position, which they occasionally have abused (or at least gone to the limits of what can be considered ethical).

However, the Microsoft of today has excellent software teams and is also making an effort to avoid PR disasters like those which happened before. They are a company like everyone else, they make mistakes, they learn, they change.

The anti-Microsoft stance expressed by some may be understandable to some extend, but often borders on the childish.

If there is a "big bully" in today's market, then it's Apple. And Google is to the mobile market what Microsoft was to the PC market: Cheap, good enough, and spreading incredibly fast. We cannot allow a single operating system to become as pervasive as Windows was on the PC, and that is why Windows Phone 7 is not the bad guy in this race. Yes Android may technically be Open Source, but we know very well that it is still tightly controlled by Google.

Competition is good and healthy, even if it is proprietary and comes from Microsoft.

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
Microsoft was there at the right time, with the right piece of software. It was good enough and put Microsoft into a good position, which they occasionally have abused (or at least gone to the limits of what can be considered ethical).

However, the Microsoft of today has excellent software teams and is also making an effort to avoid PR disasters like those which happened before. They are a company like everyone else, they make mistakes, they learn, they change.

The anti-Microsoft stance expressed by some may be understandable to some extend, but often borders on the childish.

If there is a "big bully" in today's market, then it's Apple. And Google is to the mobile market what Microsoft was to the PC market: Cheap, good enough, and spreading incredibly fast. We cannot allow a single operating system to become as pervasive as Windows was on the PC, and that is why Windows Phone 7 is not the bad guy in this race. Yes Android may technically be Open Source, but we know very well that it is still tightly controlled by Google.

Competition is good and healthy, even if it is proprietary and comes from Microsoft.
I can't agree Microsoft has excellent software teams while their management and business decisions ruin them or hold them back from doing their best every time. But, I can certainly agree with your premise that competition is a positive outcomes whether it's proprietary or open, even when it comes from Microsoft--however, the point I've been making is that competition hasn't always been allowed to occur through their coercive and subversive methods (often kept secret through NDA's made even with vendors).

For the record: I still have my Commodore 64, too. And a Commodore 64c. And an Atari 400, an Atari 800XL, Atari 1200XL, Amiga 500, Atari 1040STe, IBM green-screen terminal, etc.etc. Does that lend me MORE credence, somehow? :P

Tags
futurama, speculation