Poll: You want buy?
Poll Options
You want buy?

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
First board rendering! 6 toggles and an area to be used as shutter button on the back of the phone. Have always found it awkward to use my thumb for the onscreen shutter, think this will be more natural.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Also, the BOM is complete so I can make a more accurate estimate of costs. First estimate was a bit on the safe side, think I can make this OH for 45 for small batch (<10) and 40 for larger (=>10). Updated in first post.

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
This is also a WIP issue, but I was just thinking about the location and functionality of the dip switches. Like, how easily they switch their position. Because, if you have tight jeans for example, you will maybe get accidental switching. Another thing is usability with covers and so on.

Yes, I think you have already thought this issue. And no, I don't have any ideas on how to solve this. But yes, I'm interested and I think 50€ is okay.

Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
if you have tight jeans for example, you will maybe get accidental switching
my jeans are generally not that tight!

but i don't know if this will be an issue, because the switch i will be using is totally new to me!

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-06-19 at 19:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
6 boards are on the mail -from the usa- so ordering parts today! 4 boards will be available for sale, if it all works.

Some parts are in - all except for back-ordered switches itself.

This is a GPIO expander, cant believe how tiny it is!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Some parts are in - all except for back-ordered switches itself.

This is a GPIO expander, cant believe how tiny it is!
Love to see ya hand-soldering that...
(I have done it, what you need is a good microscope, flux and very tinypointed smd iron, but you do not do many of these in an hour...)

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
With good flux, no need to have so small irontip, just solder one pin, then flux, then some solder on tip and start from other side if chip, and just swipe with iron over the pads...

Or paste with little extra flux and hot air (or bbq-reflow).

Making large via middle of thermal pad makes soldering easier (also rework gets easier, at least with multilayer boards)

The Following User Says Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kimmoli View Post
With good flux, no need to have so small irontip, just solder one pin, then flux, then some solder on tip and start from other side if chip, and just swipe with iron over the pads...
I usually even prefer bigger irontip, because it releases the heat faster. This way the heat stays "local" and internals of the component are not unnecessarily heated. With good flux and well made solder mask there usually aren't any solder bridges.

The Following User Says Thank You to TemeV For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by kimmoli View Post
Or paste with little extra flux and hot air (or bbq-reflow).
Making large via middle of thermal pad makes soldering easier (also rework gets easier, at least with multilayer boards)
yep this works i solder many things like this