Active Topics

I just started having the same audio problems. It started after the FW upgrade so I was wondering if that caused it. It is very frustrating as I use this as my primary phone. I was consistently asking people to speak up (it sounds like people aren't speaking directly into their phone) before I realized the problem was on my end.

Had this problem since the start, but only ocassionally. And adjusting volume on the phone seems to fix it (even if I click to turn volume down, seems to return to normal level).

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
I am also scratching my screen with the stylus (very small faint). I rarely use my finger so i know it is the stylus and i always keep it in a silk pouch when it is in my pocket.

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ West Coast, USA
Phreck: You aren't alone. My wife and I both have the same exact problem. Different amounts of pressure yields different results and it's as if there is a loose wire somewhere in the phone. I still don't know what to do but I've gotten used to it to the point where from now on I'm always making sure I press super hard while taking calls. My wife on the other hand has given up and just uses speaker phone from now on.

I don't know if this noise cancellation has anything to do with it. Here is a link where someone else talks a little more in depth about it:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37590&page=2

Let me know if you find a solution to this. I have yet to reflash my phone but I doubt that will fix the problem as others have said it didn't help them and some have said the problem went away after doing a fresh reflash with the new firmware update.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellsinki
Originally Posted by phreck View Post
Ok, so here it goes....

First and foremost, i am a huge fan of this phone, and the idea as a whole of the N900, and Maemo5. By giving us a phone that is largely developed by the community and unlocked we have many doors already open that the other platforms struggle to either open, or continue to try to keep open. Nuff said about that.

Now onto my problem, which i have several ideas as to how to fix (but am too nervous to try). over the past few weeks i have noticed that call audio while using the handset will cut out, or volume will decrease severely to where the call is either inaudible, or barely audible. I have found that by pressing the device firmly to my ear in a certain manner, that the audio returns, sometimes to the quality and volume i expect, sometimes to lesser degrees.

Obviously i am having a hardware issue. Some ribbon cable in the slider, or possible the speaker built into the slider itself. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix, or has anyone had a similar problem? Im all for getting my hands dirty and tearing this thing down to its naked bits to diagnose, but i figured i would ask the community for advice, tips, and tricks before doing so.... After all thats what the community is here for right =P

Thanks in advance for any help or speculation, and have a great day!
I had the same problem. Took it to a repair center and they changed the speaker. Just got my phone back today, seems to be working. Still haven't made many calls so can't be 100% sure. I had a similar issue with my Nokia 5800 and changing the speaker helped on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to davidian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ABerri View Post
Phreck: You aren't alone. My wife and I both have the same exact problem. Different amounts of pressure yields different results and it's as if there is a loose wire somewhere in the phone. I still don't know what to do but I've gotten used to it to the point where from now on I'm always making sure I press super hard while taking calls. My wife on the other hand has given up and just uses speaker phone from now on.

I don't know if this noise cancellation has anything to do with it. Here is a link where someone else talks a little more in depth about it:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37590&page=2

Let me know if you find a solution to this. I have yet to reflash my phone but I doubt that will fix the problem as others have said it didn't help them and some have said the problem went away after doing a fresh reflash with the new firmware update.
yep, something is loose in there. a reflash will not fix it, i reflashed last week and then did ota updates to current fw version and same probleem is still there =(

Originally Posted by davidian View Post
I had the same problem. Took it to a repair center and they changed the speaker. Just got my phone back today, seems to be working. Still haven't made many calls so can't be 100% sure. I had a similar issue with my Nokia 5800 and changing the speaker helped on it.
where are these mythical repair centers. dont have aclue how to find one...

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ West Coast, USA
Ya and if we do find one, do we pay the costs or does Nokia cover the costs since it's still under warranty? I would love if Nokia would just send me a new phone and I can send this one back but I'm sure they want you to go through the whole schmeel of the phone being sent in to their repair center and I know for sure who ever the tech is that will look at it, will do one of those quick glances over the phone and see that everything is "okay" and just send the phone back to me with the problem still there.

That's why I don't wanna send it in and be without my N900 for WEEKS!

Crap. I just started having this problem yesterday and figured all i needed to do was restart the phone. Didnt help. Confirmed that its a hardware fault because pressing the phone further on my ear enables me to hear a bit clearer. Whelp, guess its time to send it in...have a bright area on my screen thats bugging me anyway

REALLY disliking the somewhat shoddy build quality of some of the earlier units..from usb to mic to this..kinda reminds me of the pre.

Hi, i got this exact problem too, so i think i will try to get it repaired.