Closed Thread
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
It is or should be VERY clear now that Maemo and Meego are dead and what with the news that Nokia are going to pull funding from this community then they should be re-approached for funding as a community who will support Elop and the new Nokia.

Got to move with it not against it.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
abill... no disrespect meant by this, but you seriously shouldn't stir up the hornets nest as such.

If you feel that strongly about things, just pull back and watch things unfold. On closing day, post one thing... "I was right."

And take comfort that's probably going to be the last thing people see and embrace whatever you've chosen to embrace.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
abill... no disrespect meant by this, but you seriously shouldn't stir up the hornets nest as such.

If you feel that strongly about things, just pull back and watch things unfold. On closing day, post one thing... "I was right."

And take comfort that's probably going to be the last thing people see and embrace whatever you've chosen to embrace.
Yes BUT i do not want to see or watch this community close, i want it to move with the times because we will NEVER get another community like this one.

People will just have to learn to move with the times instead of tryng to stay with the crazy notions and idea's behind FOSS because it just is not working.

Nokia will survive and i think this will be more apparent as the days and weeks unfold so why not have a Nokia community as always ?.

Don't have to be on crack to realise something needs changing for it to be successful.

Can we have some positive thinking now instead of all the negativity if that is possible.

Once the naysayers have had there say then some positive thinking people might just start to post.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
That will be a very different crowd/community and will have a different infrastructure.

If that ever happens at all, it should be Nokia or Microsoft's doing.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
That will be a very different crowd/community and will have a different infrastructure.

If that ever happens at all, it should be Nokia or Microsoft's doing.
This community has never been owned by Nokia, it was funded by Nokia and i very much doubt neither Nokia or Microsoft will start up a community.

To get back the funding from Nokia then all that has to happen is a reproach on the understanding of WP and this community stays alive.

How it is structured is not in question right now, what is in question is keeping this community alive.

There is no development taking place for Maemo and Meego as far as Nokia is concerned and that means Maemo and Meego are dead.

The future of Nokia IS WP and that is the way this community should go if it wants to stay alive.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@Abill: C'mon man, if you want people here to take you seriously then you have to show that you get FOSS, because AFAIK that's the core audience here.

Otherwise you can preach to the super-niche to the exclusively-commercial developers here and to the 'pure' non-FOSS-sympathizing users, which I'm guessing have very2 low count and/or non vocal in ongoing discussions.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
@Abill: C'mon man, if you want people here to take you seriously then you have to show that you get FOSS, because AFAIK that's the core audience here.
The only thing to get about FOSS is that it's not the way to make OS'es for a commercial world. Bits and pieces - yes, but not streamlined stuff needed for success.

Besides, it is also largely irrelevant. It is the ecosystem that has to be open (not as in FOSS-open, but as in open-market open), and only Microsoft provides that.

Otherwise you can preach to the super-niche to the exclusively-commercial developers here and to the 'pure' non-FOSS-sympathizing users, which I'm guessing have very2 low count and/or non vocal in ongoing discussions.
Is FOSS going in the direction of Nokia? what would be the link between FOSS Nokia and this community?.

How the community is actually structured can not be the question right now, what is the question is the funding under Nokia and the direction Nokia would like this community to go and i can not answer those questions for obvious reasons that i do not know.

Something has happened with Nokia that nobody can ignore and that it has teamed up with Microsoft and is now manufacturing WP devices, Maemo and Meego have been dropped and i do not see any devices coming from any manufacturer for a community that is about to close.

You might not like this but FOSS might never have a place again on this community IF it is to stay with Nokia unless some kind of integration can take place.

Looking at the advancement efforts for Maemo and Meego it is not enough and a reason to keep this community alive, the reason it is facing closure.

I am a realist and whilst i like to dream, it is not always possible in this world to have your dreams come true.

Look at what has happened here, Maemo has been dropped along with Meego, Nokia are now WP, this is reality and fact not dreams and someone needs to move forward in some way or form, how to shape the future of this community, the first thing must be to stay alive and then comes the structure questions later.

dont know whom to curse,
1. abill for not understanding this community,
2. or the moderators who are destroying the community by not banning abill

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to IcyMoustache For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
dont know whom to curse,
1. abill for not understanding this community,
2. or the moderators who are destroying the community by not banning abill
You are completely blinkered and only want to see everything your way.

I will tell you something ok that you might just undertand... you AND tekki.

The day stskeeps left this community he sent a BIG message, that message was he could not work with Maemo any more and went down the Meego path, because of that it split this community in half and the main reason dev's left one after the other.

What should have happened was Maemo and Meego join together in development for it to make sure of steady progress and that never happened.

Now we have a fight going on here between Maemo amd Meego as they are and have been seperated because stskeeps was given the enitirety of Maemo to further progress on Meego and he stated that he could no longer do any work on Maemo (apparently Nokia conditions for release of Maemo to him).

Meego has not made the advancement for whatever reasons it should have done and this is also linked with manufacturers i might add, IF Meego had made recognisable ground then someone in the industry would have picked up on this and ventured forward as a device manufacturer, once again never happened.

What did happen is Nokia joined with Microsoft making WP devices, if you want to carry on with Maemo or Meego on this community then as it is already stated it is facing closure then you will go down with it and end up with no community.

The answers are NOT in Maemo or Meego and you need to see that, or come up with a plan to intergrate Meego with WP?, not going to happen either.

Please post sensibly or rather you dont post at all in my view ok.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-09-04 at 06:43.

Closed Thread

Tags
stillborn os, wp7 ate n9