Active Topics

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ London
I was messing around with the Starving voltage and overclock settings and I saved it as my default profile, before testing to see it was stable.

I know that was stupid of me and don't know what I was thinking at the time (wasn't thinking at all obviously) but now my phone won't boot up.
Each time I hit the power key, it shows the default Nokia screen, attempts to boot and after about 15 seconds switches off. I keep trying to turn it on and the same happens.

I was using the following commands in x-terminal before this happened:

sudo gainroot
kernel-config load starving
kernel-config limits 1150 1150
kernel-config save prozac1
kernel-config default prozac1

All of the above commands worked properly and these settings were obviously saved as my default settings. Around 30 seconds later, my phone rebooted and I have been unable to switch it on ever since. The above described problem keeps happening.

Most likely I will need a re-flash, but I have two questions before I do.

1) Is there ANY possible way, I can restore the original Nokia kernel or change the above settings to default Nokia ones, without having to reflash my device?

2) If I do re-flash, is it possible to only re-flash the firmware and resolve this problem, so that I can keep all of my audio/image files, as well as apps and settings etc? Basically, would re-flashing just the firmware and not the mmc resolve this issue?

Please help!

Last edited by Prozac786; 2011-04-28 at 11:25.

1. If i remember right it should be possible to change kernel only. I just dont remember how and where i red it, maybe search would help.

2. Its possible to flash only firmware, so your audio/image files stay on mmc. But you have to reinstall all apps though.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Barcelona
Have a look at:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Flasher#Flashe...usage_examples

Originally Posted by shnigi View Post
1. If i remember right it should be possible to change kernel only. I just dont remember how and where i red it, maybe search would help.

2. Its possible to flash only firmware, so your audio/image files stay on mmc. But you have to reinstall all apps though.
Yep just re-flashed firmware only, you're right, I lose everything except images/audio files.

Copying those over to my PC and then just gonna full reflash and re-install everything again...

(I had over 5gb worth of apps >.< gonna take ages to get everything back)

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Why don't people use the BACKUP utility before messing with the OS.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Why don't people use the BACKUP utility before messing with the OS.
Couldn't bootup phone so couldn't access the backups. Had to install firmware first, did that, got my backups folder copied to PC and now fully re-flashed.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
This is interesting, because overclocking settings are automatically stopped if there is an unexpected reboot -- you should have received a message to that effect. I don't think we know the whole story here.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
This is interesting, because overclocking settings are automatically stopped if there is an unexpected reboot -- you should have received a message to that effect. I don't think we know the whole story here.
I know how the overclocking settings are supposed to work, but usually I use the QCPU frequency app to edit the settings and mess around, that way if anything does go wrong, it reboots with the message "An unexpected reboot occurred. Your custom kernel settings were NOT loaded".

But this time I did it through x-terminal, using exactly these commands, immediately entering one after the other:

sudo gainroot
kernel-config load starving
kernel-config limits 1150 1150
kernel-config save prozac1
kernel-config default prozac1

30 seconds after phone rebooted but wouldn't go past the Nokia screen with white background, it just stayed on that background for about another 20 ish seconds and switched off. Tried switching it on 10+ times and still kept repeating this.

I think it happened because of the kernel-config save prozac1 and kernel-config default prozac1 commands that I entered.

That made the 1150 1150 and starving settings my default profile, so even though the reboot occurred and the kernel should revert to default settings, the above settings became my "default" ones if you follow my drift? Hence the constant boot failure.

Last edited by Prozac786; 2011-04-28 at 13:48.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Prozac786 View Post

I think it happened because of the kernel-config save prozac1 and kernel-config default prozac1 commands that I entered.

That made the 1150 1150 and starving settings my default profile, so even though the reboot occurred and the kernel should revert to default settings, the above settings became my "default" ones if you follow my drift? Hence the constant boot failure.
I understand what you're saying, but that's not how it works in my experience. I have my settings set to default but they are not operative after an unexpected reboot. I think something else caused the reboot loop. I have no idea what, but quite a few things can.

P.S. I just double-checked myself by pulling my battery, creating an unexpected reboot. I confirmed that my settings were the default ones but that they didn't work after an unexpected reboot.

Last edited by geneven; 2011-04-28 at 14:21.

Maybe I messed with it one too many times, as I was changing the voltage alot and experimenting with different settings, but I'm certain it was that, because I was doing nothing else when this happened, didn't add or change anything to the phone, didn't install any new apps or anything of the sort.

All I did was type the above commands, and that is when it happened immediately after. Even though the kernel is desinged to revert to stock settings upon unexpected reboots, is it also designed to revert to stock voltage settings?

Because something I did in those commands caused this bootup failure, I'm sure of it, could just be a one off freak accident with me, I dunno