Posts: 103 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Fortaleza @ Brazil
I bought my Nokia N900 in last year and think that was a good option for me because i'm a linux developer and with this cellphone, i am learning how to develop for mobile phones and with this forum (Maemo-talk) and with Maemo Documentations, it's easy to do anything that i want in this cellphone. But i think that for a common user, Maemo is not a good option because it seems to be a system that is geek-friendly, it's not for common users.

Android seems to be the better option for most users, with the power and influence of Google, it's easy to build and to make this system popular. Now, i believe that everything that is happening about mobile world, seems to be "the greatest ad ever". Android is a good operating system but i think that Windows Phone 7, Android, iPhone, Meego can be a very good O.S to manage correctly the resources in my hardware.

For me, a operating system is only a system that communicates the low level hardware with applications, and the peoples uses only applications, don't need what O.S peoples uses, we only uses aplications.

Well, we are in app-centric "age", now it's needed to have Android or iPhone, or Windows for x86 to have access to the world. It's really needed? I think that is not true. I am using Maemo and i think that this system and with few apps, i have everything that i need for everyday.

Why everybody says that Symbian is the worst system in the world? Because Symbian does not have 100 million of "fart" and jokes application?

I believe that we cant repeat past errors. The Windows for desktop is the most popular system ever. Who here don't uses Windows 7? Now, everybody knows that if do you are a DJ, you will need to use a software that don't runs in Linux and you will need to use Mac or Windows. In some cases, only Windows will run correctly your software.

If we know that the peoples communicates with applications not with systems, i think that multiplataform development kit can solve this problem that for me, was originated with a principle that "closed source" solutions are the unique option and this will be better for Microsoft and Apple that will ensure the survival of company for more 30 years.

About this subject, i cross my fingers and i believe that the main idea in project "Boot to Gecko" made by Mozilla (https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G), will make the webapps a better viable solution for the app-centric "age".

Sorry for my bad english. I promise to everybody here in Maemo-Talk that I will get back to my English course

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Germany
That's right. My N9 has everthing I need with one exception: whatsapp. But I think there will be very soon an unofficial version launced. Anyway I will not trade my N9 for buggy android or expensive iphone. About Nokia WP I have the same opinion.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
yeah i dunno, maybe html5 or something else will become good (i haven't even looked at it so maybe it is) but what I really like is a good SDK. If you can be a lot more productive with a certain set of technologies, maybe it's more important than multiplatform.
writing native code also give more features. QML can't do 1/2 of what Nokia's normal Qt libraries do in c++ for example. Now imagine trying to use something else, you've just increased your problems again.
If you're going to spend your time learning something, choose wisely

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by guisoliver View Post
Well, we are in app-centric "age", now it's needed to have Android or iPhone, or Windows for x86 to have access to the world. It's really needed? I think that is not true. I am using Maemo and i think that this system and with few apps, i have everything that i need for everyday.
Well, the app-centrification is an attempt to lock us down to their OS, and their own businessmodel.
In the old days before smartphones became todays appcentric "dumbphones", like the nokia communicators or the sonyericsson UIQ , it was not about apps but about information. You opened a exceldocument or a worddocument with help of the OS, and didnt need to launch a primitive "app" to acess a document.
(MS-DOS was appcentric too, btw )
Same with webbcontent, you visited a simplified website optimized for smartphones (or the real website if you got enough patience to wait for it to load over gsm) and didnt need an "app" to open that webpage like it is today.

We dont need more apps, what we need is a return to the old days when it only was about free information, and noone was making lots of money on packing information in primitive apps.

Why everybody says that Symbian is the worst system in the world? Because Symbian does not have 100 million of "fart" and jokes application?
Symbian S80 or UIQ are still today very good oses, but symbian S60 was very primitive and cumbersome to use.
Also, all the real useable software was for S80/UIQ while S60 only had a few categories centered around fartapps and smsapps.

Now, everybody knows that if do you are a DJ, you will need to use a software that don't runs in Linux and you will need to use Mac or Windows. In some cases, only Windows will run correctly your software.
A real DJ uses recordplayers/cdplayers and a mixer, a wannabe dj may use software as a substitute for expensive hardware

If we know that the peoples communicates with applications not with systems, i think that multiplataform development kit can solve this problem that for me, was originated with a principle that "closed source" solutions are the unique option and this will be better for Microsoft and Apple that will ensure the survival of company for more 30 years.
People communicate with information, apps is just an another way to lock you down...

About this subject, i cross my fingers and i believe that the main idea in project "Boot to Gecko" made by Mozilla (https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G), will make the webapps a better viable solution for the app-centric "age".
What we need is to ditch the app-centric stoneage , and make a return to the modern information-centric age.
But there is just too much money to earn on locked down apps
-Remember the wars between internet explorer, netscape and so forth? where they tried to lock eachother out by using propieraty functions in their browsers?
Boot to Gecko may be a good road to break the app-centrification, but unfourtunately it is also a os...
What we need is boot to gecko as a app, that can run on everything

Sorry for my bad english. I promise to everybody here in Maemo-Talk that I will get back to my English course
No problem, i think it was easy to understand

Last edited by electroaudio; 2012-03-26 at 11:04.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by guisoliver View Post
For me, a operating system is only a system that communicates the low level hardware with applications, and the peoples uses only applications, don't need what O.S peoples uses, we only uses aplications.

The real problem is that the manufacturers creating all this hardware have no incentive to support cross-platform development. For whatever reason, we've constructed a world that rewards those who build incompatible products. Microsoft earned its fortune by creating and maintaining a monopoly over the desktop computer operating system; it could not have done so if the software that runs on Windows could run on any other OS. Apple has just become the world's richest corporation (in terms of stock valuation at least) based mainly on products running the very closed iOS operating system.

It seems extremely unlikely for cross-platform development to gain more traction until it starts receiving the kind of support that incompatible products currently get.

Who here don't uses Windows 7?
I don't. I tried it for a while a few years ago, then threw it away and installed Linux on my PC. Windows is pretty, but I'm more comfortable with Linux.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Qt was a good concept, QML sort of ruined it for me, the way Maemo 5 had Qt was the best way, have stock QWidgets themed with a theme engine so it looks similar to the OS.

Harmattan didn't implement this sadly, so QWidget based apps look/behave bad on it, so you're stuck with rewriting your Qt apps again for Harmattan.
Instead of writing a theme engine for Harmattan, Nokia embraced QML, which is not that mature imo. MTF is good but involves rewriting the app, and it's only compatible with MeeGo then. QML is good but you have to do everything from scratch (components are just examples prepared in a package in my opinion).

But if Firefox be compatible with Boot to Gecko apps... I will use only Firefox in my cellphone. I think that this business model is very atractive for Microsoft, Apple and Google but i don't believe if this model can generate the evolution in concept and estimulate the competition between software producers.

Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Qt was a good concept, QML sort of ruined it for me, the way Maemo 5 had Qt was the best way, have stock QWidgets themed with a theme engine so it looks similar to the OS.

Harmattan didn't implement this sadly, so QWidget based apps look/behave bad on it, so you're stuck with rewriting your Qt apps again for Harmattan.
Instead of writing a theme engine for Harmattan, Nokia embraced QML, which is not that mature imo. MTF is good but involves rewriting the app, and it's only compatible with MeeGo then. QML is good but you have to do everything from scratch (components are just examples prepared in a package in my opinion).
I was believing that QT apps could be like "Java Apps" - Write once, run anywhere. I think that Nokia Lumia can be a success here in Brazil because the Nokia is the most remembered cellphone producer and here in "Nokia Store" in Northeast of Brazil, a lot of XBox 360 were sold together with Nokia Lumia 900 for first amounts of this cellphone.

Translating from: http://rcell.com.br/rcell/2012/03/no...rar-lumia-800/

The new devices Lumia Nokia Phone with Windows system debuted in Brazil on Thursday (22) with a new partnership between Microsoft and the company: the first 200 customers who purchase the new 800 Lumia win an Xbox 360 with Kinect sensor. In all, 200 kits will be available "Xbox 360 + Kinect" divided among the 10 participating stores Nokia promotion. Therefore, only the first 20 who purchase the new device at each of these sites is to win the game and the motion sensor from Microsoft. Nokia's stores that will be promoting: Shopping Recife (PE); Shopping Flamboyant (GO); Courtyard Bethlehem (PA); Iguatemi (BA); Shopping Island (MA); Shopping Eldorado (SP); Shopping Barra (RJ), North Shopping (RJ); BH Shopping (MG) and Amazonas Shopping (PM). Lumia The Nokia 800 is Nokia's bet to play the market with equipment consolidated as the Galaxy S II and iPhone 4S. It will also help to enhance the entry of Microsoft and Windows Phone in Brazil. Lumia The screen 800 has a 3.7 "AMOLED ClearBlack, 8 megapixel camera, 16GB internal memory, Qualcomm MSM8255 processor 1.4 GHz system and Windows Phone Mango. Already the Lumia 710, which will be manufactured in Brazil, has more modest settings and comes as a smartphone with Windows Phone input. The device has a screen 3.7 "TFT ClearBlack, 5 megapixel camera with LED flash and internal memory of 8 GB.

Update on 21/03 at 14h44: Nokia sent a statement stating that due to logistical problems, the promotion that will give an Xbox for the first 800 buyers Lumia will be held on Saturday (24/03) only at the Nokia flagship stores in malls mentioned above.

Originally Posted by voancea View Post
That's right. My N9 has everthing I need with one exception: whatsapp. But I think there will be very soon an unofficial version launced. Anyway I will not trade my N9 for buggy android or expensive iphone. About Nokia WP I have the same opinion.
Even if Whatsapp was not launched for Meego, did you run the J2ME version of Whatsapp?