Notices

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Here is an interesting (but somehow useless) thing to test with wifieye:

If you have a microwave oven then start wifieye and go to 'time graph'. Then put n900 inside the oven and close the door. The microwave oven uses microwave radiation at 2.45G which is near the 2.4G of 802.11b/g and its surrounding is very insulating at that frequency. If all goes well you should see the line of your wifi signal drop to near zero (or even disappear) when you close the door.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by v13 View Post
Here is an interesting (but somehow useless) thing to test with wifieye:

If you have a microwave oven then start wifieye and go to 'time graph'. Then put n900 inside the oven and close the door. The microwave oven uses microwave radiation at 2.45G which is near the 2.4G of 802.11b/g and its surrounding is very insulating at that frequency. If all goes well you should see the line of your wifi signal drop to near zero (or even disappear) when you close the door.
What happens when you then hit that "popcorn" button on your microwave?

SLN member # 009

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
I have some suggestions to improve this great application.

Include the option to record the collected data to be exported to format ".csv" and can analyze with external applications such as spreadsheets, etc.

It would be very helpful if it could also record the GPS data of the detected networks. This would enable audit coverage maps, etc.

Another option to make a coverage map but this time indoors, where GPS is not very useful, would be making use of the accelerometer. Defining the epicenter of issue we can move with the N900 tracking and calculating the distance we have traveled.

This application lets users hallucinating other platforms, is very good.

Originally Posted by WhiteWolf View Post
It would be very helpful if it could also record the GPS data of the detected networks. This would enable audit coverage maps, etc.
I believe that this is not a target function of wifieye. This would add a number of problems that GPS-related programs face including the validity/accuracy of the GPS data.

Originally Posted by WhiteWolf View Post
Another option to make a coverage map but this time indoors, where GPS is not very useful, would be making use of the accelerometer. Defining the epicenter of issue we can move with the N900 tracking and calculating the distance we have traveled.
If I understand you correctly, this is something that is known not to be possible with N900 because of the accuracy of the accelerometer. From here:

The absolute resolution is poor - 18 mG (at 2 G sensitivity) typical. This is fine for detecting the orientation of the phone, but makes most uses that would attempt to integrate the acceleration for detection of position useless.
In any case, your suggestions are not part of wifieye's goals (sorry) and since I'm a fan of the unix philosophy, I recommend that another program be created to do those thing. This new program may accomplish this by using the wifieye code and some python. For example, try this:
Code:
from wifieye import wifi
r=wifi.scan()
for i in r:
  print r[i]['essid'], r[i]['quality']['quality']

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Thanks for the clarification on the problems associated with my suggestions.

I'll try burning the code you have shown.

What I need is if a record on file of sight in "Time graph" for further analysis or backup of the measures.

Seek the way to go.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by WhiteWolf; 2010-09-12 at 22:34.

now ive been sitting 2 hours trying to get this to run, but i give up.
I installed all that is needed, but still,, when i run the app, it just closes again.

What am i doing wrong??

Originally Posted by pittesn View Post
now ive been sitting 2 hours trying to get this to run, but i give up.
I installed all that is needed, but still,, when i run the app, it just closes again.

What am i doing wrong??
Open a terminal and run "wifieye". Then copy-paste the output here. The error messages will indicate the problem.

Originally Posted by v13 View Post
Open a terminal and run "wifieye". Then copy-paste the output here. The error messages will indicate the problem.
However, this is most probably the same as this bug.

This, "RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v8.0 but PyQt4.QtCore module requires API v7.1" Can this be worked out around in the WiFiEye code?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
This, "RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v8.0 but PyQt4.QtCore module requires API v7.1" Can this be worked out around in the WiFiEye code?
No, it's an environmental issue: http://twitter.com/#!/mwkn/status/3474687963176960