Active Topics

Poll: Re-structure talk.maemo.org ?
Poll Options
Re-structure talk.maemo.org ?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
It's already too much of "this thread should be in the other category" kind of nonsense here... who cares, anyway? Does anyone read forums by categories? Don't people just search? Or go to "new posts"?

Don't know... on the other hand, don't care too much, either.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I vote "make Active Topics list longer".

EDIT: was "new posts"

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-10 at 22:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
It's already too much of "this thread should be in the other category" kind of nonsense here... who cares, anyway? Does anyone read forums by categories? Don't people just search? Or go to "new posts"?

Don't know... on the other hand, don't care too much, either.
For an active member, I agree. I never click on Talk except to find out what's there before I reply to posts like this. For a new member or a guest, OTOH, the only navigation they know is drilling down from the top level. For this reason, I would make the first category N900 with N900 specific software and hardware forums below that.

If it can be done, a cloud of tags, with tags sized by popularity, might be a nice addition. Expanding active topics sounds more like clutter. Active tags would be better.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I second the idea. That or we need a separate forum for the pre-N900 NITs.

I think I will not be purchasing the N900, and, as an N800-user, this forum is becoming nearly useless for me.
and if it's b/cming useless for Geraldko, it's useless for me, since his profile--his posts and posts he's thanked--are now my sole portal into the maemo world. Thanks, G.

Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
With the introducton of the N900 - and maemo5 - posts in the Software section - 'Applications', 'Games', 'Multimedia' and 'Design' forums is now a guessing-game for the reader when it comes to what OS it is for.

Would the following make sense:

* Applications,
- maemo4, maemo5, maemo6

* Games,
- maemo4, maemo5, maemo6

etc....

If you clicked on the word Application you would get ALL of the application posts
If you clicked, say, maemo5, under Applications you would only get the application posts pertainng to maemo5

When postng a thread you'd simply make one more selection (OS).
this makes sense to me. i don't want to have to be clicking and scrolling through n900 - specific posts (sorry, Nokia!).

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Londrina, PR - Brazil
Hi everyone, is there another forum for the older devices community? This one became a place to people complain about shipping delays, cancelled orders, missing portrait mode... It's much harder to find useful posts about hacking my N810..

Is there anyone feeling this too? Or this just my lonely rant? :P

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to puelocesar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
There are still lots of people on here including my self who use the N8*0 very regularly and software is always been updated. Maybe you could try just reading threads from OS2008 and disregard the main page if thats how you feel. I know that once all the hype about the N900 dies down things will progress with the rest. Not everyone will get a N900(Cost,bugs ect.. and most are still happy with what they have got.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Londrina, PR - Brazil
Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
Open your eyes!

OS2008 / Maemo 4 / Chinook - Diablo

Nokia N810

Nokia N800
Its not the same thing..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puelocesar For This Useful Post:
It's getting more and more 'frustrating' reading threads in forums like 'Applications' now. Half-way down someone assumes its for the N900...then later someone provides an answer only applicable to the Diablo OS.

With 80%+ of people that replies here wanting a change to how the forums are structured is there an official 'answer' or policy from whoever is running the tmo?
(speaking of...who IS in charge of the tmo structure?).