Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
It's the balloons that crack me up. "I know where I'm going with Nokia's Ovi Maps?" Really?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It's the balloons that crack me up. "I know where I'm going with Nokia's Ovi Maps?" Really?
Ovi Maps is pretty good on Symbian devices. It's the N900 edition which sucks, a lot.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
But you do know, that HTC actually parked big HTC-labeled busses at the main entrance of Nokia World to drive the attendees away from Nokia World to the HTC event?
Good thing they didn't attempt that sort of stunt in Serbia. 2 possible outcomes - cut tires OR grafitti, most likely textual prefix/suffix in the form of '(HTC) EVENT CANCELED, DRIVING TO NOKIA WORLD INSTEAD' (in Serbian that would be a lot shorter).

Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Ahem - 2010 Q2 Smartphone Units Shipped (Sources: IDC and Canalys)
Nokia 24 million
HTC 4.8 million

I really don't think Nokia fear HTC are about to overtake them just yet ...
And what were their respective profits for those periods? Please share. I am interested to know. All well and good selling a billion $1 phones but that is not where the real profits lie. I suspect HTC's profits are very close to Nokia despite the fact that Nokia has been top dog in the mobile phone world and until a couple of years ago I had never even heard of HTC. Believe me Nokia is concerned. And if they are not the ignorance or lack of awareness of the way the market is going explains why they are no longer the force they were.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by jvanhou View Post
I think this was a gutsy (and funny!) move on Nokia's part. HTC decided to piggy-back on NW2010, not the other way around. They also brought buses clearly marked with HTC branding right to the front door of NW2010, just to poach NW attendees.
The trouble is, nobody is reporting the HTC buses or showing any such evidence yet their is plenty of photographic evidence of what Nokia subsequently did... I'm not saying the the buses didn't happen, but unless both sides of the story are presented it makes Nokia look like the bad/childish guy...

Nokia PR might want to think about getting their side of the story out there (after all, this is partly their fault) as the bogs seem only interested in poor little HTC and won't miss this as yet another opportunity to bash Nokia on the back of a fairly successful Nokia World..

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
And if they are not the ignorance or lack of awareness of the way the market is going explains why they are no longer the force they were.
This makes for a good quick read.
http://daringfireball.net/2010/09/nokia_next

Salient quotes (to me at least)
“Nokia Expects Hardware Design to Attract Smartphone Customers"
and
"That’s why they have no cohesive software strategy."

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
It appears that HTC have form for this, having done something similar last year... no doubt Nokia were expecting it again this year and came prepared.

The lack of impartiality from the boggers that are covering this afternoons unseemly events is quite astounding.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-09-15 at 20:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Funniest part have been following this no news getting mentioned in example Engadget and turned as EVIL act by Nokia to all so fluffy HTC.. by the EVIL Nokia.
I'll take "evil" over "irrelevant" any day, personally.

The Following User Says Thank You to Viqsi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
Nokia should have set up Nokia branded roadblocks in retaliation to the HTC buses, IMO.

The Following User Says Thank You to rickysio For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm actually for this kind of activity. Shows that they know who their competition may be, steals a bit of their thunder... hell. I like this kind of guerrilla marketing.

It's not wholly effective, but it sure as hell is better than silence.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: