Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Beatty View Post
It was closed by the reporter (who has made the comment about no more support) and has been reopened
Yeah, here's the response:
Marcin: Though you might be correct I prefer to close bug reports as WONTFIX
after getting a Nokia WONTFIX statement (if that will ever happen is a
different question). Hence restoring state. It's up to management (and maybe
involved developers) to decide about WONTFIXes.
I love the "Though you might be correct" prologue. That's a beautiful way to frame a conversation where you're exerting some power over a community tired of waiting months upon months for even minor fixes. I mean, as a customer, what kind of expectations should I have of Nokia about a platform that isn't entirely open-source where I depend on them to provide fixes in firmware images? Apple and Google, by comparison, tend to reach out to developers to point out that they're available to assist with these major value-add applications and help them make sure their apps work better right away.

Has Nokia been replaced by an incredibly far slower bureaucratic version of itself? I mean, it used to be bad enough before, but the phrase "it's up to management" shouldn't belong in an open-source bugfix report about something that isn't working but is intended to work.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
Well, I can also post any statement about (not: "by") Nokia on Bugzilla. However if it's true is another question.
I can post it too but I can't close a bug. At least I have no authority.

PS. Thank you for reopening it.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
It now looks like the end for meamo, so much for all those Qt apps being ported to the OS. It looks lk,e we just have to hope the Meego developers get a decent OS running for the N900, otherwise interest in it will disappear as soon as a meego handset appears.
Nobody likes it whenever we point it out, but I would argue that my opinion is it's already finished. We've been saying it for a few months now: Maemo's dead, man.

Understandably, nobody that invested in the device (especially back when it was $650) wants to hear that but the signs were already sprinkled around in little things Nokia said and in their actions. The clearly desperate action of trying to turn Maemo into yet another iPhone competing "me too!" device instead of growing it into a proper Internet Tablet in the very market segment it had carved out for itself was, in my opinion, an epic blunder. Now everyone is suddenly jumping onboard the tablet bandwagon right after Nokia abandoned it. Dolts!

Continuing the practices that the previous Internet Tablet owners had been mistreated to, such as Nokia's lack of communication, support and unwillingness to fix bugs or at least open up THEIR OWN SOURCE CODE to the community to let them support themselves, is another series of epic blunders. It's incredible that the company errs on the side of keeping source code CLOSED on an open-source platform so that only Nokia can fix most of the problems. Why? Is Nokia's source code just that horribly embarrassing that they would prefer not to let it see the light of day? Why err on the side of closed? Bumbling idiots.

There's no bragging points if you're suddenly shifting your strategy to a "me too!" platform if you're going to just do what your competition has been doing, and no better.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 47 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Scandinavia
you guys are some idiots or just been fed with sugarizedcereals all your life? get a ****ing grip, stop feeding the obvious troll.

nowadays, it fears me to notice all the village idiots gather in teh nets...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to videohese For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by videohese View Post
you guys are some idiots or just been fed with sugarizedcereals all your life? get a ****ing grip, stop feeding the obvious troll.

Care to elaborate with some specific details and post something less ambiguous? I can't even tell who you're calling the idiots and trolls, for crying out loud, and you don't clearly make any kind of case for why they're idiots. ...or perhaps, you're cleverly disguising your own trolling by pointing outside of your tent to call everyone else a troll? Come on! Participate in an intelligent conversation, if you're going to criticize people on intelligence.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
The way Nokia treated this device is criminal in spirit if not in law. I got this device to 2 reasons, bash and gnutools, and I certainly cannot give nokia credit for that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
how about nokia offering 50% discount on the n9 when we send our n900's in? :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msa For This Useful Post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to windows7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 106 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Switzerland
Well, Nokia needs to make money and discontinue N900 is a way for better sales for the future MeeGo device... My opinion is that the new Nokia's CEO probably considers OpenSource bad for business. Even Symbian returns to closed development model.

The Following User Says Thank You to ymartin59 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by videohese View Post

Your previous posts suggests you were happy when PR1.3 arrived, assuming there is no further support for meamo there goes any chance of PR1.4, or the faint hope of Flash 10.1

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest