Posts: 22 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Belgium
Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
Leave the phone on the charger for a considerable amount of time, try overnight. Take the battery in and out, try again. Definitely invest in an external charger, there are many available for the 5800 which uses the same battery as the N900. Sounds like the battery is completely dead and is not getting enough power to the cpu to charge properly. I wouldn't go as far and say the device is dead, just a battery issue it sounds like.
Oh well it's already on its way to Nokia, will probably get a new one or my repaired one next week. God i'm missing it so hard

Originally Posted by brambi View Post
Sorry but, why the minus wire to the + pole and vica versa?
It would not charge the other way...

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by WannaDoIt View Post
It would not charge the other way...
Nice to know you still have all your fingers, but I'd check the polarity with a multimeter before doing that again!

did you install windows on it? ::snickers::

Left transmission running over night and the charger wasn't plugged into the socket properly. Woke up this morning to a drained phone. Plugged it into the charger and it showed the Nokia logo. Tried turning it on 20 minutes later and it wouldn't turn on. Left it off and charging all day. Came home, took out the battery, waited 2 minutes, held down the power button on the N900 for about 20 seconds. Plugged in the battery and it turned on just great.

Thanks for the solution.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by harp View Post
Left transmission running over night and the charger wasn't plugged into the socket properly. Woke up this morning to a drained phone. Plugged it into the charger and it showed the Nokia logo. Tried turning it on 20 minutes later and it wouldn't turn on. Left it off and charging all day. Came home, took out the battery, waited 2 minutes, held down the power button on the N900 for about 20 seconds. Plugged in the battery and it turned on just great.

Thanks for the solution.
Yay! I helped at least one person!

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
The worst thing you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it flat. My N810 I charge every night even if barely used. Li-ion batteries respond well to being topped off unlike Ni-cads which were better performers if run dead before charging.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
The worst thing you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it flat.
Except that you cannot do it.
They have a built-in chip to prevent over-discharge. That aside, Li_Ions don't care much if they are used deep-cycle, or frequent top-ups, do they?
Its the old lead-acid batteries that last longer if kept topped up. Actually, the shelf life of Li-Ions is better if stored partially discharged.

Last edited by myk; 2010-02-02 at 00:19.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by myk View Post
Except that you cannot do it.
They have a built-in chip to prevent over-discharge. That aside, Li_Ions don't care much if they are used deep-cycle, or frequent top-ups, do they?
Its the old lead-acid batteries that last longer if kept topped up. Actually, the shelf life of Li-Ions is better if stored partially discharged.
It's my understanding that you get more charge cycles if you top off than run it way down. I've also read that storage is better in a partially discharged state but I don't know how that relates to daily use the way I do it.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ ZAgreb,Croatia
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
The worst thing you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it flat. My N810 I charge every night even if barely used. Li-ion batteries respond well to being topped off unlike Ni-cads which were better performers if run dead before charging.
Yup, I charge my n900 every night too. And even in car over day, while I listen to FM transmitter so I must plug it in and charge so transmitter is like 50% stronger.. My battery is hardly ever under half of its life.
And about that happened to your phone over night,.. I would just take it back where I bought it and ask for repair or new one.

Tags
lack of quality control