Notices

It'd be nice to have an official game distribution like N-Gage (which has recently closed down) for Maemo, but instead of making a commercial service (especially as long as Maemo is niche), the community could do an open source "platform" for any kind of games. It would then be optional for each game developer to integrate this "service" to the games.

One critical problem that might be eventually faced is the number of the multiple different languages currently available. Rivalry is always good, but in this case it might appear as a problem that must be solved.

Each game receives a couple of gaming points that can be gained by the player, by completing the game, or different tasks. A premium should be received when the game is completed by 100%. "Points" can be showcased as trophies, scores or actually anything else that the mind can imagine. Then there should be leaderboards for the top players.

This will encourage both developers and users to create and play (or purchase) as many games as possible, to be able to compete as "the best gamer" (which you obviously can't become without playing a few games). As long as the majority of the games are made by non-commercial developers, a system like this would be fine.

Imagine now nice it'd be to have trophies and leaderboards on old emulators as well! An obvious thing about this feature is all the benefits of it...

...however, there might be some technical problems or issues with legacy. Do you think a community driven gaming platform could be a reality for Maemo in the near future? Would you at all even approve such an idea in the beginning?

Or do you have any better or more realistic ideas?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I think you should make this a Brainstorm proposal.

To be honest, i'm pretty good with kongregate. There are some other similar sites as well. Since maemo is said to support full flash, it should work fine and dandy.
Of course, a platform expressly meant for maemo would be really nice, but it would take a lot of effort just to get that ready. Then games would have to be integrated, and everything would have to be supervised somehow (because it's dumb to give a tetris clone the same amount of points to give out as a new, fun and innovative game)
Sure, i'd like to see your idea happen. But i'm afraid without some big-wig help (hear that, nokia?) and lots of hype to start people coming in (again, need big support), it simply can't take off. Dev's can't be bothered to integrate to an insignificant new platform, and nobody will join a system with a handful of games to offer, thus leaving it insignificant. To break the circle, some sort of momentum infusion is needed