Nokia developing 3D rival to Google Street View:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...reet-view.html

Good to see we have at least two competing players taking part in the 3D mapping game. The data is expected to turn up in navigation products in 2011.

Don't expect this on your N900 just yet...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to c0rt3x For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
There's already more 3D elements included in the beta labs version of OVI maps for Symbian.

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
maps.ovi.com/3D

Well I just tried to access the 3D beta and it seems linux is a no-go. End up with "browser not supported" on ubuntu even though both chrome and firefox are on the list of supported browsers. I guess nokia expects me to view this on their new buddys OS.

Works amazing here with Vista+Chrome. I believe it needs quite a up to date net framework version.

Really Nokia has made some nice piece of software here and the 3D is much better than on Google maps. Hopefully they really put their money behind it and keep expanding the cities and not just forget it like so many other cool Nokia projects.

I would so like to see this in N950, but i got a feeling that it's being cooked for the new all mighty, WP.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-04-19 at 12:50.

Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
That's another reason why I will probably buy another nokia phone

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Works amazing here with Vista+Chrome. I believe it needs quite a up to date net framework version.

(
I assume you mean the dot net framework? As this is a windows programing language is this an indication of the Nokia and Microsoft alliance? ..this also means it is not going to work under linux

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by zenecho View Post
I assume you mean the dot net framework? As this is a windows programing language is this an indication of the Nokia and Microsoft alliance? ..this also means it is not going to work under linux
I don't think it uses the .NET framework. I just tried it under Firefox 4 on XP and it needed to install a plugin and an add-on. It works perfectly.

No idea though if the plugin itself needs .Net or who-knows-what. Can't check it because I'm at work now

From what i understand
Microsoft recently released a street view as well called 'streetside'
They've already got one done for 56 major US towns, i think streetside is the european version, this is most likely what nokia is working on/releasing. Great opportunity for nokia if it's true, microsoft fund it all, nokia does the work, both firms have access to US and Europe, however if it's on a .NET framework, microsoft benefit as it will only be available on windows phone, exclusive to microsoft. a stab in the back at google street view and nokias ovi maps 3D at the same time.

link to the article is here
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13047454

Edit: Information on Streetside can be found here
http://www.microsoft.com/maps/en-GB/streetside.aspx
scroll down to see a list of expandable and collapsable FAQ. Bear in mind this page will be bias.

Last edited by xRobby; 2011-04-19 at 15:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to xRobby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
cool video here

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/18/n...earth-as-your/

heres hoping this makes its way to meego eventually

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Tags
ovi maps, street view