Oh yeah, it's also working without the powered hub too!

Originally Posted by pearl62 View Post
Awesome! It works!

I just had to run udhcpc in xterm after plugging the adapter in. Is there a way to automate this, or have a script executed from a button in the UI?
Easiest way would probably be to dump all the commands in a shell script, and write a .desktop file that loads the shell script.

The Following User Says Thank You to dblank For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by dblank View Post
You'll want to load whichever module supports your adapter, that usually requires finding out what chipset the adapter uses, then find out which module, if any, supports that chipset.

Included modules are:
catc
dm9601
kaweth
mcs7830
pegasus
How do you determine which modules support which chipsets? Is there a table online somewhere?

I found a cheap adapter that uses the ADM Tek 8511 chipset; any ideas?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
How do you determine which modules support which chipsets? Is there a table online somewhere?

I found a cheap adapter that uses the ADM Tek 8511 chipset; any ideas?
I'm not aware of any big list or anything.. but a quick search for admtek 8511 linux makes it sound like you'd want the pegasus module.

It's a good idea to search for the datasheet for the chipset as well (which can sometimes be a massive pain ) to look up power consumption; it has to consume less than 200mA to be powered by the tablets, and the less the better!

Originally Posted by dblank View Post
Easiest way would probably be to dump all the commands in a shell script, and write a .desktop file that loads the shell script.
Has anyone done this? I got my USB network adapter working but I haven't had any luck trying to make scripts and .desktop files to automate the process.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Cleveland, TN
A quick note to let folks know that this adapter works well with the N800.

HE130R Network Adapter

Power from the N800 and use the dm9601.ko module.

Price is about $10.

Hello,

I am able to use a SMC 2208USB usb to ethernet adapter with the pegasus.ko module that is in this thread. Someone earlier in the thread wanted to know how to make this easier to use. I was able to take the instructions in this wiki entry (http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi..._using_OS_2008) using the status bar switch method and modify them a little bit. I copied the pegasus.ko file to the /home/user/MyDocs folder. I then added the line insmod /home/user/MyDocs to the end of the Host.sh file. I then copied the Host.sh file and named it Ethup. I removed everything after the fi line and replaced it with this line: udhcpc. I followed the wiki instructions to add an entry to the Status bar and named it Wired Up. This allows me to easily start my ethernet. First, I set the default access point to DEFAULT as specified earlier. Next, I tap on Host mode. I plug in my adapter and then tap on Wired up. This connects me using DHCP. I hope this description helps someone!

The one thing I have not been able to figure out is how to manually set an IP address that works. I have opened up Xterm, run sudo gainroot and then run ifconfig eth0 down followed by ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.50 netmask 255.255.255.0 up. If I then run ifconfig eth0 it has changed to the manually specified IP. However, if I then attempt to ping my router (192.168.2.1) it always times out. I have even tried adding a route using route add default gw 192.168.2.1 but this doesn't seem to make a difference. One of the main "justifications" for my purchase of the N800 is to configure routers. I am most of the way there now, with the ability to automatically obtain an IP. All I need now is to be able to manually set an IP address. If anyone has any suggestions on how to manully set IP address with this setup, it would most appreciated.

Thanks for all the help that has already been provided!

Joshua

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
I accidentally stumbled across somewhere that had stock on the Linksys USB100M (I tried a 200M before but it required more power than the tablet was willing to give) and gave it a shot today. It's definately possible, but there's some work required.

I wanted to try and make things as easy as possible, so here's what I've got so far:
I created two scripts: usbEthUp and usbEthDown. The first one uses gconf to add a "WIRED" dummy connection to the list of available connections for the tablet, then calls udhcpc to run in the background and try to bring up eth0.
The second one does the exact opposite: removes the dummy "WIRED" connection from the connection list and calls udhcpc to run in the background again for a few seconds so that the old routes for eth0 get dumped from the routing table (that way wifi works correctly once more).
I then created a new udev rules file and set it up so that when the USB ethernet adapter is connected, the usbEthUp is automatically launched, and when it's removed, usbEthdown is launched.

The end result is that with the tablet offline/out of range of wifi connections:
1) Plug in USB Ethernet adapter using handy-dandy USB OTG adapter
2) I launch a web browser/whatever, and the connect dialog pops up with WIRED selected. I hit OK.
3) Internet/network works just as you'd expect.

When I'm done, simply disconnect the USB adapter and *theoretically* reconnect to wifi at a later point in time (the WIRED connection no longer appears in the list of possible choices).

I say theoretically because the one catch that I've run into seems to be that for some reason UDEV won't fire off a "Remove" event until you do something else with USB (i.e. plug in a different USB device, etc). So at the moment I have to manually call the usbEthDown (or restart the tablet) to get the wifi back up and running.

None the less, pretty sweet. My two sticking points for further work right now are 1) Figure out why on earth udev won't fire a remove event and 2) try to figure out if there's an easy way to automatically select/have the tablet select by default the WIRED connection instead of popping up the select connection box. I've been through a lot of D-BUS and maemo documentation this afternoon, and I thought I was getting close, but in 2008 they changed things around a bit and I can't find a straightforward way of doing it...

Also btw for your static IP problem, it might be worth trying:
run udhcpc -n -q -i eth0
then do an ifconfig eth0 IP/etc
then add static/default gateway.

My bet would be the reason it doesn't work is that you still have other routes left in the routing table that are over-riding your default gateway (keep in mind default gw is the last resort); calling udhcpc will clean those out for you when it fails. (alternatively just flush the whole routing table manually).

Last edited by jolouis; 2008-02-22 at 23:57.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
Would you care to share the scripts with us? This is just what I have been looking for.

I purchased the TRENDNET TU-ET100C USB to Ehernet adapter at Fry's, and I discovered that it uses the Admtek ADM8511 chip instead of the Realtek RTL8150. However, with the pegasus driver posted by dblank earlier, it seems to work fine with my Nokia N810. You just have to "insmod pegasus.ko" before bringing up the link.

The following script seems to work. I just sudo to run it:

echo host> /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode
gconftool -s -t string /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/DEFAULT/type DUMMY
insmod /home/worker/pegasus.ko
echo 'plug in adapter and hit return'
read ans
ifup eth0

- oldskool