Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
This is a bit strange: I pre-ordered a Galaxy Tab on Amazon UK, it is sitting there saying estimated dispatch date 1st November (i.e. today), but hasn't yet dispatched. Meanwhile, if I were to try to order one today it quotes '1 to 3 months' delivery.

I hope that doesn't mean mine will be delayed, but that's a heck of a delay for any future orders. If it doesn't dispatch by tomorrow maybe I should wander down to Carphone warehouse and see if they have them in stock...
Lets hope that Amazon gets this sorted! I really want you to enjoy your Tab!

I just hope that Rogers releases this thing over here in Canada in good time. Sometimes they can be frightfully slow.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ England
This is a bit strange: I pre-ordered a Galaxy Tab on Amazon UK, it is sitting there saying estimated dispatch date 1st November (i.e. today), but hasn't yet dispatched. Meanwhile, if I were to try to order one today it quotes '1 to 3 months' delivery.

I hope that doesn't mean mine will be delayed, but that's a heck of a delay for any future orders. If it doesn't dispatch by tomorrow maybe I should wander down to Carphone warehouse and see if they have them in stock...
Yes I noticed this today as well!

I must say that with all the strangeness on amazon and the shocking tariffs announced by the uk networks, I am pretty down in the dumps!

I can't find any good news anywhere regarding price or contracts.

WHAT has happened? It was all looking so good!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noal For This Useful Post:

Amazon is showing the Tab £100 the price at Tesco and Carphone Warehouse. Wouldn't it be wise to cancel your Amazon order and get it from elsewhere?

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Agreed. Despite:
- the Tab racking up thousands of comments per news article (obviously the sign of a hot, or at the very least a controversial device),
- the large number of articles surrounding this device (on engadget, no less)
- the past success of Samsung's Galaxy S (7 million units sold and counting),
- admittance that this is the first real iPad competitor

... it has never been featured at the top of the site! What's there is the nook review and two Macbook Air posts. WTF?! Also, they have yet to do a serious android app review, despite doing many iPhone app reviews, and reporting on many accessories.

The Galaxy Tab is a major device, any way that you slice it, and it's a shame that Engadget's 'journalism' is so biased. I read the articles less and less.

They do break news early, so I keep them in my feeds list, but I'm more interested in the headlines than the actual articles. It's like a little piece of me dies each time I read them.
Agreed. Hate visiting the site because of their blatant Apple bias but they are probably the best source for gadget news.

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Amazon is showing the Tab £100 the price at Tesco and Carphone Warehouse. Wouldn't it be wise to cancel your Amazon order and get it from elsewhere?
Amazon, Tesco and Carphone Warehouse are all priced at about £529 without a contract, but because Amazon are now quoting 1 month delivery a search tends to come up with a marketplace seller asking £670. I could get it a bit cheaper on Carphone warehouse at £499 + £10 for a 1 month contract which I could cancel immediately but there's just a nagging doubt that they might SIM lock those ones. I'm probably wrong on that, but I'm willing pay the £20 to be sure of getting one that isn't tied to a network.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Duncan For This Useful Post:
Amazon, Tesco and Carphone Warehouse are all priced at about £529 without a contract, but because Amazon are now quoting 1 month delivery a search tends to come up with a marketplace seller asking £670. I could get it a bit cheaper on Carphone warehouse at £499 + £10 for a 1 month contract which I could cancel immediately but there's just a nagging doubt that they might SIM lock those ones. I'm probably wrong on that, but I'm willing pay the £20 to be sure of getting one that isn't tied to a network.
Definitely agree with you that a non-tied version would be better. I am guessing that an operator version would be very very late in updating to gingerbread and if there is a way to hack and get honeycomb on a non-tied version it would possibly not be possible on a tied version.

If they were really subsidizing the device like they do with phones then yes go for a tied version. However, with the Tab the subsidies are like non-existent.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Definitely agree with you that a non-tied version would be better. I am guessing that an operator version would be very very late in updating to gingerbread and if there is a way to hack and get honeycomb on a non-tied version it would possibly not be possible on a tied version.

If they were really subsidizing the device like they do with phones then yes go for a tied version. However, with the Tab the subsidies are like non-existent.
The subsidies are indeed rubbish, although I have seen on mobiles.co.uk that you can get the tab as a free gift with certain tariffs and a crap phone!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Hi peeps. Well I decided to get a tab, but am now trying to figure out how to tether the tablet to my N900. I still think the N900 works better for a communication device though. Android still doesn't do video calling for skype that I can see or even over gtalk!

Anyone got any pointers on this one?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Hi peeps. Well I decided to get a tab, but am now trying to figure out how to tether the tablet to my N900. I still think the N900 works better for a communication device though. Android still doesn't do video calling for skype that I can see or even over gtalk!<br />
<br />
Anyone got any pointers on this one?
<br />
<br />

This could be done with mobilehotspot. Or joikuspot if you're in the mood for a paid app.
I might try later with wife's Tab to see if it gets the wifi cloud from my N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy