Active Topics

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
the best thing would be to get an official maemo.org subdomain and paypal account, indeed!
I think to make it a little bit longer is a good idea. Maybe inclusive July? Poll?
Yes, the cash can be transferred very easily. So donate, donate, donate!

I have to go to bed now...^^
Hmm.. my initial reaction is that two months just seems like a long time to me, I don't think we need completely finished and polished applications (they can be carried on afterwards) and Im thinking of MeeGo being around the corner and vacations coming up. Im worried if the comp is too long the steam might go out of it a little.

Hmm there does seem to be support for extending it so ok.. how about we take June 1st as our official start date, but accepting entries from today ofcourse, and look to run til July 21st? Extended due to phenomenal public interest! :P

Then a week for everyone to try, test, and vote for their fave entries (taking us to July 28/29) with winners announced a couple of days later at the start of August?

Is there anyone who would disagree or have problems with that timeframe?

I have to go to bed now...^^
Good night buddy, you deserve your rest. Thanks for all your efforts in getting this going!

Edit: The extra weeks may help us get a few more newbie tutorials done, like mikec and fatalsaints excellent PyQT in 30 mins sticky one. That would be part of a nice legacy to have after the comp.

Edit2: In regards to bounty prizes, I think someone was talking about just having the star prize for the winning project. That's fine unless the winning project is a team. I don't think Nokia are talking about sending everyone in the winning project to the MeeGo conf or the 6 category winners either, there's just one trip on offer. So i do think there needs to be some bounty set aside for the winner aswell.

The difficulty with deciding how to split the bounty is, as it's our first comp and we're testing the waters, it's hard to know how much we can expect to collect. The more we get the more it can be spread out, but it's hard to commit to spreading it wide if we're not sure we'll have enough for atleast 3 good prizes... hmm..

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-05-21 at 20:22.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
I've updated the Chipin site...

http://maemo.chipin.com/coding-competition
I just paypal'd my $50 donation, so our bounty is up and running

Originally Posted by Chipin
Thanks 'Kojacker'!
You contributed $50.00 to Coding Competition
Payment Details
Save or print this page for your records
5/21/2010
Receipt ID 6*d0*4c*98*87*d7

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
How do I subscribe to the competition? Is there a form or a place to submit my ideas/project?

[]'s

The Following User Says Thank You to otubo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Originally Posted by otubo View Post
How do I subscribe to the competition? Is there a form or a place to submit my ideas/project?

[]'s
Read THIS.

The Following User Says Thank You to resplendent2209 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
I just paypal'd my $50 donation, so our bounty is up and running
Kinda annoyingly, the Chipin widget hasn't updated and is still showing $0. It's supposed to refresh after 5 mins but it hasn't done so, hopefully it can be manually updated as it's nice to see a running total.

However I did get separate confirmations from Chipin and from Paypal directly to show the money did go into Zehjotkah's account ok. I'd recommend leaving a note in the "Instructions to merchant" section to let him know it's for the comp and your forum username. If Zehjotkah keeps us informed I'll add the usernames to a bounty contributors roll of honor in the wiki/first post

ie:
Instructions to merchant
$50 towards the maemo.org competition bounty, from Kojacker
Zehjotkah, could you pm or leave a note here for everyone that donates just to let them know it's safely in the account? I'm sure it will help folks feel at ease

Originally Posted by otubo View Post

[]'s
good to have you onboard I see there's a few projects noted on the wiki already if you'd like to add yourself into the table otubo, else if you leave your details here im sure someone will help do it on your behalf

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-05-22 at 00:43.

Posts: 462 | Thanked: 550 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Moscow
Heh... I can join in to raise the number of participants and apps with some of my 'written-for-myself' and unreleased stuff.
And may be I'll finally start working on statusarea/statusmenu items editor for Maemo 5 (I've found none, a bit blind, perhaps ).

The Following User Says Thank You to 412b For This Useful Post:
Edited first post to reflect change to July 21st end date. We're officially now a 2 month comp unless anyone raises an objection

Throwing my 2 cents in...If you make this really big (which is not a bad thing) it will scare off many amateurs. It started out well and the OP was encouraging. People would learn and the community would get more apps. Those same people would continue to develop even more apps. Hope this makes sense - if not, please disregard it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manavs For This Useful Post:
What a great idea hope this is going to give dev a boost! I am already curious what applications will be invented. There is still a lot of potential in our N900s.

No one suggested this so far but i would so much like a convenient pdf reader with double tap zoom and circle motion zoom fast rendering and stuff...
I am annoyed by the shipped pdf reader and a lot of people are reading pdf's so if you guys feel the same why not give this a shot?!

The Following User Says Thank You to istarskyypsilon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by istarskyypsilon View Post
What a great idea hope this is going to give dev a boost! I am already curious what applications will be invented. There is still a lot of potential in our N900s.

No one suggested this so far but i would so much like a convenient pdf reader with double tap zoom and circle motion zoom fast rendering and stuff...
I am annoyed by the shipped pdf reader and a lot of people are reading pdf's so if you guys feel the same why not give this a shot?!
just wondering if you have tried evince as your pdf reader(no double-tab/circular motion zoom)

The Following User Says Thank You to cheve For This Useful Post: