Notices

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
For those who have tried android phones before, is the web-browser (google chrome? ) open source? if yes it would be cool if the source could be downloaded and ported to the N900. Although i love firefox my experience with google chrome on Ubuntu has shown that webkit is the way to go when it browsing the web. Compared to gecko based browsers webkit has better rendering speed (esp which java script laden sites like google reader etc) and their are lighter. It be awesome if google chrome can be ported to the N900

My Blog

The Following User Says Thank You to bigbrovar For This Useful Post:
Android phones doesn't have Google Chrone, they have an "Android browser".

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
For those who have tried android phones before, is the web-browser (google chrome? ) open source? if yes it would be cool if the source could be downloaded and ported to the N900.
Android uses a kinda 'Chrome Lite' version as the default webkit-based browser, though it's not actually called that. It's ok, but nothing special, very basic. No need to port it to Maemo as far as I'm concerned. Maemo's standard Mozilla-based browser looks like it would kick Android's standard browser all over the screen. If you wanna try, it is OSS and for example the Steel browser for Android (which I much prefer) is a fork of the standard browser.

Although i love firefox my experience with google chrome on Ubuntu has shown that webkit is the way to go when it browsing the web. Compared to gecko based browsers webkit has better rendering speed (esp which java script laden sites like google reader etc) and their are lighter.
Not so for me. I found Chrome to be only marginally faster than the latest Firefox. Not worth giving up all the cool stuff Firefox does.
Registered Linux user #266531.

webkit browsers are available on maemo (tear)

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Personally, I do not like Google Chrome because it lacks proper security compared with firefox.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x61 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I would like to see a chromium port for the N900 as well. It has a wonderfully compliant renderer, is pushing web standards, and has a wonderful Javascript engine that compiles to native ARM code (no bytecode here folks! read: FAST).

As I understand, the internal timer is quite fast, which may makes chromium less ideal for mobile device, though I suspect there are many considerations when moving from a desktop browser to a phone!

}:^)~

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Chromium it'd be which is the open source equivalent of Google Chrome. Please see this thread as its being discussed there already.

Originally Posted by x61 View Post
Personally, I do not like Google Chrome because it lacks proper security compared with firefox.
This is so wrong I don't know where to begin

The Following User Says Thank You to jaxxstorm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by blacksheep242 View Post
http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?platform=linux
Will that work on an N900?? (Id assume it needs some modifying??)

Tags
alternative browser, alternative web browser, browser, browser war, browserd fix, chrome, chromium, fremantle, google, inferior compared to ff, maemo, maemo 5, maemo browser alternative, maemo browser war, microb alternative, microb killer, web browser