Active Topics

I use Skype a lot and when I bought my n810 was keen to try Skype on it. It works really well using the built speakers and microphone.

But...I'm a bit disappointed that I can't use the webcam for calls with video and I can't send SMS to mobile phones as I can when I run Skype on the laptop.

Does anyone know if these features will become available in the future?

Thanks, Dave.

Hate to say it.. but these features probably won't be released.

nokia and skype seem to be pretty buddy-buddy, so i'll guess that the next internet tablet will allow video calls. there are other ways to send sms to mobile, but no good ways to recieve after google dropped it's sms support for gtalk.

i thought google sms still works, just the api doesnt?

I think it has something to do with the N810 might not have enough processing power for both video and audio.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Canadia
Originally Posted by chatbox View Post
I think it has something to do with the N810 might not have enough processing power for both video and audio.
It works with Google Talk...

I have never tried Skype so don't know if it needs more processing.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by chatbox View Post
As I understand it, Skype's video codec (and transport protocol?) is a heavyweight. Unlike SIP+Jingle, Skype with video would push the N8x0s to near their limits.

This is bad enough, but Skype's protocol isn't forgiving of transient video failures. If a Skype client can't keep up sending video, or if available bandwidth drops too low to carry it, Skype doesn't fall back to audio only. It severs the entire connection.

I suspect that in the end Nokia & Skype decided that frequent call disconnects due to processor or bandwidth issues would frustrate more users than having no video at all.

Originally Posted by debudebu View Post
nokia and skype seem to be pretty buddy-buddy, so i'll guess that the next internet tablet will allow video calls. there are other ways to send sms to mobile, but no good ways to recieve after google dropped it's sms support for gtalk.
Please tell me more about sending SMS to mobiles from the internet, thanks, Dave.

Tags
n810, skype, sms, webcam