nice, are you still planning to release a new SymPy package with launcher icon, possibly even with some GUI?

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by stalhein View Post
nice, are you still planning to release a new SymPy package with launcher icon, possibly even with some GUI?
Yes, "SymPy CAS" :
- in '/opt/sympy-cas/', in agreement to Nokia Store;
- with icon;
- with IPython (0.10, from Nokia repositories) and MeeGo Terminal as dependencies;
- tapping the icon opens a Terminal with IPython starting SymPy in interactive mode;
- SymPy 0.7.2 released yesterday for MeeGo Harmattan;
- no GUI;
- free;
- expect to send it this week to Nokia Store.

"Calculus" has GUI in Qt Quick, it is Derivative + Integrate + Limit. Hope to finish it in January and send it to Nokia Store as freeware.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
(22/01/2013) IPython 0.13.1-2 Harmattan is now released for Nokia N9/N950, with all the features of IPython 0.13.1 on a desktop PC : IPython terminal console, IPython Notebook web interface, IPython Qt console interface, IPython parallel, etc. No other mobile OS can do that, only MeeGo Harmattan.

See 1st post for more details about installing and using IPython 0.13.1-2 on your Nokia N9/N950.

IPython 0.13.1-2 packages/dependencies tree for MeeGo Harmattan, I've packaged the ones marked with '*' (total of 11 packages) :

ipython*
python
python-support
libreadline5
meego-terminal
ipython-qtconsole*
ipython*, see above
python
python-support
python-pygments
python-pyside.qtcore
python-pyside.qtgui
python-pyside.qtsvg
python-zmq*
python
python-support
libc6
libzmq1*
libc6
libgcc1
libpgm-5.1-0*
libc6
libstdc++6
libuuid1
ipython-notebook*
python
python-support
ipython*, see above
ipython-notebook-common*
libjs-jquery*
libjs-mathjax*
libjs-jquery*
libjs-underscore*
python-tornado*
python
python-pycurl
python-zmq*, see above
These '*' packages were based on Debian wheezy or Ubuntu 12.04 package sources, stripping Python 3 versions, adjusting some dependencies, etc.
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2013-02-20 at 06:26. Reason: Cleaned this post because 1st post was updated

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 130 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Pakistan
Awesome!!!

Posts: 368 | Thanked: 826 times | Joined on May 2012 @ India
Is there any test build available? Or any words on Nokia Store release? I'm dying to try out

Now IPython 0.13.1 Harmattan can be easily installed by using my Harmattan repository. See post #1 which is now updated.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2013-02-01 at 03:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 368 | Thanked: 826 times | Joined on May 2012 @ India
Weird to see no one even thanked the post. But what rcolistete is doing is no way a small task. He deserves a huge appreciation.
Thanks for your work

The Following User Says Thank You to bibek For This Useful Post:
See post #1 which is now updated with detailed installation and usage instructions for IPython 0.13.1 for MeeGo Harmattan.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2013-02-01 at 03:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
IPython 0.13.1 Notebook running on Nokia N9/N950 can run as server and be used by any web client on many devices : PC's, Android devices, Maemo 5/Nokia N900 smartphone, etc. It works very well.

As Nokia N9/N950 has WiFi hotspot, no external WiFi network is needed, just connect the web client to the WiFi ad-hoc created by N9/N950. And IPython Notebook 0.13.1 on MeeGo Harmattan includes MathJax locally installed, so there is no external Internet traffic to load MathJax files.

Setting up the IPython Notebook server on Nokia N9/N950

See the IPython official docs about "Quick Howto: running a public notebook server".

A simple configuration on my Nokia N9, using Terminal as user :
$ ipython profile create nbserver
Then edit the notebook configuration file in "/home/user/.ipython/profile_nbserver/ipython_notebook_config.py", I have only changed the following lines :
c.NotebookApp.ip = '*'
c.NotebookApp.open_browser = False
c.NotebookApp.password = u'sha1:<put-here-the-hashed-password>'
Where the password is optional, it is hashed by running in IPython terminal :
In[1]: from IPython.lib import passwd
In[2]: passwd()
Then copy the hashed password to the line "c.NotebookApp.password" cited above. The password is sent by the web browser without encryption, to change this use SSL security and signed certificate.
To run IPython Notebook server, just type on your Nokia N9/N950 Terminal as user :
$ ipython notebook --profile=nbserver

Using IPython Notebook on a remote web browser

In the web client, just type in the URL field of your web browser
<N9/N950-local-IP>:8888
e.g, "192.168.0.42:8888". To know the IP address of your Nokia N9/N950 :
- type "/sbin/ifconfig -a" in Terminal, see the "wlan0" section, field "inet addr:";
- or with developer mode on, open "SDK Connectivity -> WLAN";
- or install the "IP Address" widget.
If the hashed password was used, then a login screen will show up, or else the IPython Dashboard. In a IPython Notebook, type "!uname -a" to believe that your Nokia N9/N950 is running the IPython Notebook server !

Some web browsers I have tested in different OS, they need to have websocket (to calculate) and MathJax (to show mathematical expressions) support :
- Maemo 5 / Nokia N900 (see this post with screenshot) :
* Firefox/Fennec v7 works ok, including all keyboard shortcuts. But it is slow, so be patient and follow the hints of using Firefox on 1st post;
* Opera Mobile, Chromium and default web browser have problems either with MathJax, to calculate or edit cells;
- Android (Asus Transformer TF101 with Android 4.0.3 and Asus Eee Dock) :
* Chrome v18 works and is very fast. Shift+Enter or Ctrl+Enter work on "Hacker's Keyboard". On Asus Dock keyboard, all shortcuts work, even "Ctrl+m+" ones;
* Firefox v18, Opera Mobile v12 and Android default web browser have problems either with MathJax, to calculate or edit cells;
- Maemo 4 / Nokia N810 : default web browser, Firefox v1.1, Opera Mobile and Tear have problems to calculate, just Firefox renders MathJax;
- Symbian S60v3 : default web browser and Opera Mobile 10 don't open IPython Dashboard or have problems with MathJax and to calculate.

I haven't tested iOS, BlackBerry OS, etc. But mobile web browsers similar to Firefox, Chrome and Safari and not too old should work partially, at least.

I've tested my Nokia N9 serving IPython Notebook for 2 notebooks, one Android tablet and a Nokia N900, i.e, 4 web clients at once ! Yeah, real multitasking of mobile Linux rocks

Common problems with the above mobile web browsers :
- "Keyboard shortcuts" window can't be moved;
- double tap in a cell doesn't edit it, so type keyboard enter in a physical keyboard, or, to edit some non-code cell, convert the cell to code cell, edit, than change to the previous cell type. It is because double tapping is filtered by touch web browsers to zoom in/out, and double tapping is needed to edit non-code cells.

A Nokia N9/N950 configured with IPython 0.13.1 Notebook, PyLab (NumPy + MatPlotLib) and SymPy 0.7.2 can cope with almost 100% of students and researchers needs in math, physics and enginnering sciences.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2013-02-09 at 14:04. Reason: Typo fixed

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
(12/02/2013) IPython 0.13.1-3 Harmattan is released for Nokia N9/N950, with a minor improvement : implemented pull request #2294 so it fixed the bug in IPython 0.13.1 which prevented dialog boxes to work on Qt4 dialog boxes. Now, for example, MatPlotLib 1.2.0 Qt4 backend has save button, vkb on text fields, etc, working.

See the 1st post to install/update. For example, "apt-get update" then "apt-get install ipython ipython-notebook ipython-qtconsole" as root in Terminal.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2013-02-13 at 01:43. Reason: Typo fixed