Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
@bemymonkey
EVERY carrier in europe that i know of has MMS support.
And that's not what makes them advanced.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
no, but you seemed to imply that the "more advanced ones" (if there really is such a thing) don't provide MMS.

i guess more advanced would translate to HSUPA or some such thing.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by hanh View Post
A lot of people mention the cost of MMS, but at least for the American carriers I'm familiar with, MMS comes out of the same bucket as SMS, so if you have a text messaging plan
So one SMS is same as one MMS? Thats cool, you can fit much more text in MMS.

there's no extra cost unlike if you wanted to have email/internet access.
10 EUR a month FUP HSDPA beats anything I've seen from US, especially given US telcos have the strange guts to ask more USD for internet access or tethering on one device than the other?!? Madness!!

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Overshadowed by Motorola/Verizon Droid. LOL. In the USA perhaps (article seems to be written for US public). When I saw the provided contracts for this thing... crazy.
What do you expect, it's a US magazine. If you want a US perspective on the cell phone market, check the Best Buy website. Best Buy is one of the largest brick and mortar electronics chains in the US. People who want to compare phones from different carriers (there are also carrier specific stores) go to places like Best Buy and right now they are shopping the Thanksgiving Day (November 26) sales. Here's what they see on the website and what they will be sold in the store.

The phones that make the front page (Best Buy > Mobile Phones & Office > Mobile Phones > Cell Phones) are:

LG Chocolate Touch
LG Rumor 2
Sony Ericsson w518a
Blackberry Storm2
Motorola Droid

The top rated phones:

7 models of the iPhone
2 models of the Nokia E71
2 models of the Blackberry Curve
Blackberry Bold
Samsung T349
Motorola Droid
LG enV Touch

The Nokia specific page (Best Buy > Name Brands > Nokia) shows the N97.

The N900 does not exist in the US from a mass market consumer perspective. If I wanted to pick up one at the nearest US Nokia store I would have to drive about the distance from London to Paris. That's also the closest store to show up on Nokia's US site under "Where to Buy."

If you want US press coverage, you need to do something about Nokia's US store presence.

Just to compare, there are five Apple Retail Stores within ten miles of my home. Plus there are numerous resellers who stock the iPhone, the closest one being less than a mile away from me.

P.S. I thought I'd try to find an N900 advertised for sale or preorder at any of the major US retailers. The following report no hits searching for "N900" on their websites: CompUSA, Radio Shack, Staples, Office Depot, Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, Sears, Kmart, and Sam's Club. As far as I can find, outside of the two (only two) Nokia Stores, there is no place in the United States that I can walk into and see an N900. And people wonder why the US press is dismissive?

Last edited by DaveP1; 2009-11-14 at 00:13. Reason: tried to find an N900 retailer - added P.S.