Originally Posted by theflew View Post
Linux uses free memory as cache so you can't just look at memory free and determine the available memory for applications.
If it doesn't ship this week, I'll go back to the flagship store and look at the 'swap in use' instead

Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
If it doesn't ship this week, I'll go back to the flagship store and look at the 'swap in use' instead
Which will tell you jack again because linux doesnt work like you are used to. It uses as much memory as it is able to so free memory is something you dont want to see because its then not using the system memory to its advantage. The only time this becomes an issue is if you completely max out your swap and you need to start paging in and out
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Hehe good thing if you buy it with a credit card (but not Discover) you get an automatic additional 1 year warranty. So that means your covered for two years. Then Squaretrade makes it another year.

But yeah if Nokia does that I'm switching to Android next time. Might as well familarize myself with their platform if Nokia insists on screwing with the community.
How does paying my credit card give you an additional year of warranty??

Last edited by Venomrush; 2009-11-14 at 05:18.

Credit cards aren't just to screw you over and put you in debt (though they shouldn't if you can keep your spending in rein and watch your finances) If you purchase electronic items with credit cards, most credit card companies (except discover) as part of their benefits give you an additiona year's worth of coverage simply by buying the product using the credit card. To file a claim (say after Nokia's warranty runs out and your n900 breaks two months after) you just file it with the credit card company and they'll get it replaced. This of course depends on who your card issuer is and their terms. Mine pretty much adds a year to whatever electronic device I buy.

How Credit Card Purchase Protection Works
The exact protection you receive varies by issuer. Check your issuer’s website for limits, but usually purchase protection and purchase assurance cover up to $1,000 for fire, theft, or damage within the first 90 days. Some will also cover it if you simply lose the item. If you use a business credit card, coverage limits are typically higher.

In addition to covering fire, theft, or damage for 90 days, many cards also double your warranty.

To file a claim, you’ll need a receipt for the original purchase. If the item was stolen, you’ll probably need a loss report or police report. If you need a repair, you’ll also need to include a repair estimate. Contact your card issuer for instructions on filing a claim.

Once your claim is approved, you’ll receive a check in the mail for the amount covered.

Most Mastercards include coverage. Visa offers Purchase Security coverage, but only on certain cards. American Express coverage is equivalent to Mastercard protection on most cards, and some cards offer even greater protection.
- source

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Which will tell you jack again because linux doesnt work like you are used to. It uses as much memory as it is able to so free memory is something you dont want to see because its then not using the system memory to its advantage. The only time this becomes an issue is if you completely max out your swap and you need to start paging in and out
dude, the minute you see 'swap in use' above 0 means you've ran out of physical RAM. When you've ran out of physical RAM you're gonna page in and out 'IF' you have several active processes.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Now I have one thing to ask here.. I pre-ordered my N900 btw.. My question is that if I max out the 32 gb... will i still have the 768MB of virtual RAM?

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Now I have one thing to ask here.. I pre-ordered my N900 btw.. My question is that if I max out the 32 gb... will i still have the 768MB of virtual RAM?
Yes, the swap space is on a separate partition from where the data goes.

The Following User Says Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post:
dude, the minute you see 'swap in use' above 0 means you've ran out of physical RAM. When you've ran out of physical RAM you're gonna page in and out 'IF' you have several active processes.
Yep and once the original paging in has been accomplished and the program is resident you should see very little paging in and out - yet your free memory is going to be very low and your swap usage high.

I admit I would have liked to see 512 MB of actual RAM - but simply saying there was almost none free doesnt tell is anything I need vmstat output
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I am also concerned with premature flash wear due to swap usage. I had a very expensive Psion Netbook Pro become an expensive brick when I flashed the firmware and it encountered bad flash blocks.
you should then be worried every time your computers hd spins up too... please read threads concerning ram & flash and you'll see why premature flash wear is really questionable worry.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

It's not that simple. Yes, it means you have more data stored in VM than you have physical RAM. But, some of that may be e.g. cached files, which may never be paged in again (eventually being dropped after swap fills up with such "let's keep it in case we need it later" data). Even if it is paged in later, this would be substituting a slow swap operation for an even slower filesystem operation, not the harmful page thrashing when not all active processes fit in physical RAM at once.

It's IMO unfair to call this "ran out of physical RAM", and your conclusion is plain wrong -- it simply won't lead to excessive paging if the several active processes are fitting comfortably in RAM, and the only things paged out to swap are cache.

(And yeah, I'd like more RAM, and I get that swap is slow -- my point is simply that you are misunderstanding or distorting the actual behavior of the system.)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: