Notices

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Can I also upgrade to your newest gpSP using Maemo 4?

I have to launch by command line since my version doesn't come with gpspmgui.

This looks really good by the way.

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Permissions and fullscreen scaling in portrait look fine now.

I do miss multitouch on our device in this case... It makes most (action) games hard or even impossible to play, as you can't combine a move to the left and the A button for example. Fortunately I still can grab my gamegripper, put it on the keyboard and play it the "oldfashion" way

And thanks for the camkeyd tip. I had heard about it, but never gave it try. Really works fine in this cases.

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Can I also upgrade to your newest gpSP using Maemo 4?
I made a quick attempt to compile 3.0.2 for Diablo and I have attached the resulting binary. I have no idea if it works on a real device, I only know that in Scratchbox it doesn't. The amount of my spare time and lack of a Diablo tablet make it hard for me to work on this version, so don't get your hopes up too high. For now you can check if the attached file can run any games and report back.

I also wonder if there is such thing as portrait mode in Maemo 4, or would I have to draw everything rotated?

I said that I was going to adapt gpspmgui to portrait mode, but after seeing what's inside the package I gave up. I ended up launching my favorite games with a bunch of simple shell scripts and I was quite happy with that, but the state of gpspm and the GUI were still giving me moments of unrest.

And finally I have gathered my strength, decided that it's time to fix things once and for all, and I'm writing this post because I think I've mostly finished. The update consist of improved gpspm and completely new gpspmgui.

gpspm 3.0.2:
  • Try to load BIOS from ROM's directory
  • Added a pause menu activated with a key or by swiping from screen's left edge to the right edge
  • Added an option to autopause when the screen is locked or focus is lost
  • Added a key to show FPS

gpspm 3.0.2 is the last compatible with the old GUI (but there's no autopause checkbox, only a command line switch).

The pause isn't perfect: when the screen is locked, it consumes significantly more energy than with gpspm not running at all, but still far less than without pause.

The Quit button in the pause menu quits the emulator, not the pause, remember that.

gpspm 3.1.0:
  • Configuration directory moved to "$HOME/.config/gpspm/"
  • Added an option to specify keys configuration file
  • Revamped the command line interface and fixed crashes when parsing a malformed list of arguments
  • Rearranged the order of keys in the configuration file
  • Fixed immediately disappearing error reports

Your key bindings file (called "keys" instead of "conf.gpsp") and BIOS ("gba_bios.bin") should now be placed under "/home/user/.config/gpspm/". If you use a custom "game_config.txt", also place it there.

Now a few words about gpspmgui 3.1.0: the main advantage over the old one is that it is not a dirty hack of PSX4M, but there are also additions like box art (e.g. if you have "pokemon.gba", place "pokemon.jpg" in the same directory), extracting information from games, searching, portrait mode and names for bound keys.

There's also a place to specify your own commands to be executed before launching the emulator and after it is closed. If you have kernel-power, you might find it useful for prolonging battery life by clocking the CPU down to 250 MHz and restoring it to normal when finished.

Individual configuration files are now located next to .gba files. This means more files in ROMs directory, but also less files in an obscure configuration directory, so they're easier to clean up and move around.

I would like to upload the updates to the repository as soon as the autobuilder works, but until then you have to download them from the list of attachments.
Attached Files
File Type: deb gpspmgui_3.1.0-1_armel.deb (76.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: deb gpspm_3.1.0-1_armel.deb (330.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: gz gpspm-diablo.gz (242.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: deb gpspm_3.0.2-1_armel.deb (330.2 KB, 65 views)

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
As usual more than excellent work.

The option to add artwork also gives an extra touch. Why does it say "(info unavailable)" at every game I select, and when does it provide info?

And a minor thing, the menu has a typo (Keys cofiguration)

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ade View Post
The option to add artwork also gives an extra touch. Why does it say "(info unavailable)" at every game I select, and when does it provide info?
It probably says so because every game you select is zipped. If that's not true, you've found a bug, otherwise -- just a missing feature. Which, by the way, I want to implement for the next iteration.

Originally Posted by ade View Post
And a minor thing, the menu has a typo (Keys cofiguration)
Oh no! I reviewed the whole code, but totally forgot to check the strings!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
"There's also a place to specify your own commands to be executed before launching the emulator and after it is closed. If you have kernel-power, you might find it useful for prolonging battery life by clocking the CPU down to 250 MHz and restoring it to normal when finished."

How to that exactly?

You can do that in Window menu -> Core configuration -> Custom commands, or in the corresponding window for individual games. The first input field is a command to execute before, the second to execute after.

For that specific case the commands would be something like:
Code:
kernel-config limits 250 250
Code:
kernel-config limits 500 600
or whatever other frequencies you want to use.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Fixing that ugly typo in the menu might be a reason good enough to post an update, but to make it more worthwhile I have also made ROM info work for zipped files.

Speaking of the emulator itself, I got rid of crashes when loading certain zips and added a mute button to the pause menu.
Attached Files
File Type: deb gpspm_3.1.1-1_armel.deb (331.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: deb gpspmgui_3.1.1-1_armel.deb (77.4 KB, 80 views)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gidzzz View Post
Fixing that ugly typo in the menu might be a reason good enough to post an update, but to make it more worthwhile I have also made ROM info work for zipped files.

Speaking of the emulator itself, I got rid of crashes when loading certain zips and added a mute button to the pause menu.
Thanks for your good work!

Found a small bug. Yoshi's Island doesn't load (nothing happens) because of '-character in its name. Renaming the rom helps get around it.

The error message from command line was:
/home/user/.config/gpspmgui/launch: line4: syntax error: "(" unexpected

In case this is caused by character set mine was nordic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
Great work and keep it coming

It is a shame that goldensun lost ages still doesn't work

Thanks for the update.

Tags
emulators, games