Notices

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
Just a quick thought.
If i will be getting n9, i would like to use my n900's keyboard maybe.
You know what i mean?
Yes, use n900 as a TcpIpkeyboard sender...
I'm interested in this kind of use as well. I'd like to be able to use my n900 with an Ubuntu box (my HTPC) without having to VNC into it.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
I'm interested in this kind of use as well. I'd like to be able to use my n900 with an Ubuntu box (my HTPC) without having to VNC into it.
Hmm... ooookay, I guess this should work at some point... I'm currently experimenting with some X11 Libraries to emulate a keyboard.

It works very fast and reacts perfect. But compared to my current implementation at the TcpIpKeyboard receiver (the one you're currently able to test) I have a lot more truble translating the certain codes from the windows to the maemo platform and modifer keys like shift are with this method currently not working. (I don't know why and to sware didn't help... ) And at some point my code gets confused by some strange behavior and stopps reacting as designated.
So I need some more time until it works with a potentially Ubuntu compatible method.

But if I get it running using the X11 libs it should work exactly the same way at your Ubuntu box - perhaps except some language specific keys.

Sadly I don't have a Linux Desktop with Ubuntu. And I'm currently far away to get it in a state stable enought to test it. So, perhaps you will become my human guinea pig later this year! Congratulations!
What keyboard layout do you use?

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

Last edited by helex; 2011-08-05 at 19:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Thanks! I'll be your guinea pig . I'm using the UK keyboard layout (I presume).

I think this kind of use could also be handy on the n9, using the virtual keyboard to enter text on another device.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
I think this kind of use could also be handy on the n9, using the virtual keyboard to enter text on another device.
Ooookay. This is a usecase I never have thought about. There is at the moment nothing at my Sender part that could trigger the virtual keyboard to appear. Hmm... okay, will put it on my list of stuff to try. But I will put it at the lower end... There are currently to much to fix before.

Last edited by helex; 2011-08-05 at 20:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
I guess it is now official and I just wan't to say thankyou.

I ran into some serious problems while developing TcpIpKeyboard (a small dead end because of a small discrepancy between my Windows developing machine and the maliit virtual keyboard at the N9) but there are indications that those are getting solved soon. So there is hope to get this prove of concept polished once upon a time.

Despite the slow developing my small Application TcpIpKeyboard participated at our Community Coding Competition and won the 4th place! Yay!

THANKS A LOT FOR ALL VOTERS! ...and stay tuned...

Last edited by helex; 2011-12-05 at 19:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 57 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ France
thanks for your work, it seems very useful, but could you release a *.deb package for the sender?

The Following User Says Thank You to krutznikov For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by krutznikov View Post
thanks for your work, it seems very useful, but could you release a *.deb package for the sender?
It's still in the Alpha state and since I spent a lot of my free time for other projects this one is a little bit behind the schedule.
The N900 sender is currently not very well working and I can't advice to use it in the current state. Sorry. I changed some parts at the receiver but the N9 version is still not working properly.

But I will continue to work on this since it is a good learning project to know more about network communication. I need this knowledge anyway for my DreamRemote application and my new, secret idea.

But I can't give any promises about how long you have to wait for this. Sorry.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ France
ok, it's doesn't matter, thanks you anyway for the work you've done, and good luck for your secret idea! (I'm learning programming too)

The Following User Says Thank You to krutznikov For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by krutznikov View Post
ok, it's doesn't matter, thanks you anyway for the work you've done, and good luck for your secret idea! (I'm learning programming too)
Wish me luck to find enought time...

You have sometimes a hard time during learning programming and later even more. Keep on trying, I hope we will see soon something great from you.