Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Minsk
Hello!
Our team almost finished working on Mnemosyne 2.0.0beta6. There are 2 release candidates in extras-devel for Diablo and we plan to release beta6 soon.
It woks on N900, but there are some bugs with native N900 dialog and some UI bugs. Of course, we are going to fix these bugs and release version for N900.
The problem with N900 is that at the beginning of this project [1] we planed to port Mnemosyne to Maemo4 platform and adapted UI to using without styles. Now, we have Maemo 5 UI and I don't know what to do - rewrite current UI for N900 using Maemo5 native UI or still use current UI.

[1] - https://www.assembla.com/spaces/pomni

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plastun For This Useful Post:
but we want anki on N900!

(solid first post)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xiaoxiao For This Useful Post:
Hey Everyone,

I'm totally new to SRS, so no clue whether Anki is better then Mnemo..

Anyhow, to get it working perfectly on N900:
install "easy debian" (fairly large but worth it)
enable the sly packages in synaptic
get the package for debian from the anki homepage
install the package from within easy debian
-> might require some apt-get
try it!
for daily use (can't edit if started like so) make a desktop shortcut

if you have questions, post them here, will try to answer.

What does work for me?
Latex use, both in Debian and Maemo
Syncing , also both use cases
reviewing, both use case
adding/changing... only in Debian, apparantly the keyboard doesn't work when in Maemo

\etc\debian_version "squeeze/sid"
program manager 0.9.46-1fremantle1

did you change the settings in synaptic to include sid and lenny?
(-> settings ->repositories -> )

because otherwise it can't work

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
Originally Posted by Anki on N900 fanboy View Post
\etc\debian_version "squeeze/sid"
program manager 0.9.46-1fremantle1

did you change the settings in synaptic to include sid and lenny?
(-> settings ->repositories -> )

because otherwise it can't work
Ok, do you really advise an install of Easy Debian just to run Anki? And going through with that procedure/settings? Does it run well? Can I use Easy Debian to run other Linux apps , like Open Office and if so do they run smoothly

I ask because I haven't a clue as to how to use a Linux OS (this phone was my first chance of familiarizing myself a bit with commands, etc.

Originally Posted by HRZ View Post
Ok, do you really advise an install of Easy Debian just to run Anki? And going through with that procedure/settings? Does it run well? Can I use Easy Debian to run other Linux apps , like Open Office and if so do they run smoothly

I ask because I haven't a clue as to how to use a Linux OS (this phone was my first chance of familiarizing myself a bit with commands, etc.
Hi,

well, Anki runs just about perfect - as far as I can see everything works as designed but two things (that actually are one thing)
- the physical keyboard of the phone doesn't work with Anki run directly (at all)
- the physical keyboard sometimes stops working under EasyDeb.(but there are good on-screen ones)

So basically, I was and very much am ok, to spend 2,5 Gb on that one awesome programme, as the limitation of 32gb + card space isn't much a problem for me. (Only my root 256mb are constantly full - due to other stuff)

OpenOffice does work, but it takes ages to load, and isn't very responsive, so I use it only for converting the doc and docx people send me, because they don't get, that I neither have, nor want M$ Office on my cell.

The GIMP works as well, didn't use it much...

So pretty much, as far as I am concerned, I just really wanted Anki and LaTex, and only having 25gb for random stuff is okay for me, because I can learn my crap (which I have to) using LaTex (which I quite like) on my cell ANYWHERE I want + I can edit (and add... ) my cards when I'm on the train or eating someplace + the sync works extremely well. (both Anki directly from within Maemo and Anki from within Debian, use the same storage file, so they remember my learned cards and it is really easy to sync using wlan to get to the new cards I make on my pc.)

So in summary:
- it does take a while to get it going
- it does take up a large amount of space
+ it does so on a device where the space used isn't (that) critical
+ once it works, it works extremely well
+ LaTex (which is central for scientific stuff + makes formating really easy) works superbly (if you always start with "\tiny")

And quite frankly, I've been trying to get myself to use linux, but it just never seemed to compare to my usage on a pc, but for a mobile device it is soooooooooo sweet, to be abled to change anything you pretty much want using google + a notepad + the console

any news about anki on the N900?

OK, got Easy Debian working (openoffice, gimp etc all work fine), and finally managed to solve all the dependency problems (thanks @Anki on N900 fanboy, i just had to enable the sid repositories) to install the latest version of Anki, but every time I try to run it I get this error:

"ImportError: /usr/lib/libphonon.so.4: symbol pa_ext_device_manager_reorder_devices_for_role, version PULSE_0 not defined in file libpulse.so.0 with link time reference"

any ideas?

What version combos of anki/easy debian have people been able to get working w/ support for sync?

I was able to install at one point the old version in the default debian repository (9.7 or something akin) which worked, but without for review (although buggy) but did not sync.

edit: complete copy of the error below:

"
sh-4.1$ anki
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/anki", line 8, in <module>
ankiqt.run()
File "/usr/share/anki/ankiqt/__init__.py", line 142, in run
import forms
File "/usr/share/anki/ankiqt/forms/__init__.py", line 46, in <module>
import previewcards
File "/usr/share/anki/ankiqt/forms/previewcards.py", line 39, in <module>
from PyQt4 import QtWebKit
ImportError: /usr/lib/libphonon.so.4: symbol
pa_ext_device_manager_reorder_devices_for_role, version PULSE_0 not
defined in file libpulse.so.0 with link time reference
sh-4.1$
"

Last edited by travik; 2010-04-22 at 03:35.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Tokyo, Japan
after installation ankimaemi beginns to load, but then just shuts down after showing a black screen for a while.
How can I solve this problem?

same issue here - uninstalled it.....