Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I had the same problem on JollaC with the last update (2.0.5) - had to remove almost all apps (including AlienDalvik) to be able to proceed. As each update is bigger and bigger, this is bound to get worse over time.

I haven't seen any reports of this kind on TJC, but I will report it if it happens with this update as well.
I used to have issues on the original Jolla phone (with is notorious for its BTRFS balancing issues), but I haven't had it on the JollaC. I now use an sd card, and make sure that the camera stores pics in there, and have also moved any docs over.

Some general housekeeping like deleting browser cache (and maybe from some android apps too) might help to.

Code:
du -h --max-depth=1 | grep M
will give you the disk usage of each directory in the current location, and is a good starter for tracking down the guilty apps.

On my desktop PC a program called Acestream had gigabytes locked up in useless cache files.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
patches that work:
  • Ambience Powermenu2
  • Extendex volume control patch
  • Launcher combined patch
  • Lockscreen analog clock

patches that do not work:
  • Upcoming events in calendar
  • Ultimate statusbar patch (uninstalled with upgrade)
  • Voice call combined patch (uninstalled with upgrade)

Last edited by cy8aer; 2017-02-08 at 19:04.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Swipe to lock also works.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
I used to have issues on the original Jolla phone (with is notorious for its BTRFS balancing issues), but I haven't had it on the JollaC. I now use an sd card, and make sure that the camera stores pics in there, and have also moved any docs over.

Some general housekeeping like deleting browser cache (and maybe from some android apps too) might help to.

Code:
du -h --max-depth=1 | grep M
will give you the disk usage of each directory in the current location, and is a good starter for tracking down the guilty apps.

On my desktop PC a program called Acestream had gigabytes locked up in useless cache files.
The problem is that both user data (pics, browser cache) and Android apps are on different partitions than the one we have problem with.
I have 4.5GB free space on /home/nemo and also deleting Android apps has no effect on the system partition (where I had ~300MB of space available before this update). I had to delete Kodi, /opt/sdk and AlienDalvik this time in order to get to the required 500MB of free space.
Of course, there could be some logs taking space, but needless to say, whatever you do with it, ~2.5GB for the system partition is far too small.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
I somehow managed to check for updates again by deleting ~/.cache/store-client/os-info and pkilling store-client, and now the update is downloading! I didn't get the 500MB warning again, even though nothing changed and there is still less than 500MB available in the system partition. Either way, even if this works around the issue, it isn't solved yet because with a couple of big applications and logs here and there, it's immediately full.

The Following User Says Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Well, after downloading I'm back to square one, less than 500MB available so it won't install.

The Following User Says Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Guate
I updated all my devices. All was a success! SFOS ...EVER = )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karlos devel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
OnePlus X updates all packages correctly and fails to boot lipstick.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Well, the system and data partitions are LVM Logical Volumes formatted with EXT4. As EXT4 can be both shrunk and grown, it shoulw be possible to first shrink the data LV filesystem, then shrink it's LV to free up space in the Volume Group (the volume group is full by default). Then just make the system LV bigger and grow it's filesystem.

The only issues should be that while you can grow a mounted EXT4 filesystem, you can only shrink an EXT4 filesystem that is not mounted. So it would have to be done from a recovery shell or something similar.

Another possibility might be to create another Physical Volume on a uSD card partition and add it to the VG, to add more space. Then resize the system LV and then grow it filesystem. But note that by this the uSD card basically becomes part of the - part of the system partition data will be located on it and the device might not boot if it can't find the card at boot time (or if the card dies). Or it might not boot anyway if for example the card shows up much later than the internal storage during boot or if the initrd has some issues finding the PV on the card during boot.

The shrink-data LV, grow-system LV method should be definitely the safer one. And still always backup first before attempting anything like this!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Mmm. Updated without issues. Everything seems to run much faster. Including the battery. Starting from about 84%; this jumped to 100% after the reboot. Now, less than 30 minutes after the update, I am down to 47%.

Name:  Screenshot_20170208_001.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  19.5 KB

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sfos upgrade