Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by knuthf View Post
Do not post what you know NOTHING about.
The N9 is based on code that has been better tested than both Android and the iPhone, and not compared to MS WP. The core software is Linux, which is also very similar to MacOS (Unix BSD). The main difference to the N900 is how the frames are drawn and the colour used. Nokia made the N9 to comply with a project they had with Intel, and Samsung has made a prototype of a similar device. Finally: who are the "Big boys"? Look at the mobile handset market and tell me where the are the "Big boys". Android is a shot at a simplification of the same OS.
I know that when I use N900 and N9, the experience on these devices is subpar to what you get with Android and iphone. Period. Sales prove it. Now, if you are talking about being able to customize, etc., sure nice devices, but no good for where you make money: the COMMON consumer.

Originally Posted by almamo View Post
Why don't I see any people using windows phones over here (1 so far, a HTC)?
I'm in the UK and I've never seen one Windows Phone device in the wild.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
I only for the first time saw someone else with an N900 last week which was an interesting chat.

Make no mistake, the Lumia range are brilliant looking phones. The problem is that nobody wants Windows on their mobiles and no matter how much Nokia or Microsoft try and shove it done our throats, we have the final decision in what we buy.

And in the short term, the cash from MS is probably keeping Elop in his job, but that's not gonna last too much longer. But it's also too late to do anything about it, they can't go back to MeeGo as in another year or so it'll look outdated too.

They can't build something from scratch either as they don't have the time to **** about anymore.

I said it on another thread, Nokia are finished as a company.

Elop if he had anything about him, would hold his hands up and walk away now, so at least the final act for Nokia will be in their own hands.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Apples iphone sold more than all of Symbian smartphones combined. NOKIA engineers just cant do it.
Before Elop murdered Symbian it had been the best selling smartphone OS in every single quarter ever.

At that moment it was outselling Apple and Samsung smartphones combined - the undefeated champion was stabbed in the back.

The N8 had started to do really well in China which has now developed into a bigger smartphone market than America. Elop's announcement killed that momentum too of course.

NOKIA's engineers certainly could do it, they had proved it over an extended period of time before their efforts were sabotaged.

What have M$ got to boast about in the mobile arena?

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Its OS, while innovative is not revolutionary and was released as a beta version. It's not smooth. It lags, it stutters. It can't compete with the big boys. And how long did it take to get to N9? Five itinerarions? That is pathetic. Either Nokia engineers are real bad, or resources prior to Elop arriving were not spent appropriately.
Ask yourself this, is that any worse than the 7+ iterations it took MS to get to the still pathetic and still outdated WP7.5?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Ask yourself this, is that any worse than the 7+ iterations it took MS to get to the still pathetic and still outdated WP7.5?
Actually... I gotta say that the codebase for Maemo stayed the same whereas WP7 is a "1.0" product. Both aren't better than the predecessors - if you think so, it's only marginally so.

And yet... that's who combined. Nokia + Microsoft. Both hadn't improved their chances by combining their forces.

After my experiences with the n9 I gotta agree with Lumiaman somewhat. Potential is one thing, that's what maemo had. Potential unrealized. I sold that phone and got me a Galaxy Nexus, and I've been enjoying it tremendously.
I hope Nokia and/or Microsoft can get their act together....I'd like the market saturated with options Good thing for them is that they have a shitload of money. Nokia has reserves in the billions...they'll be alright

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
What have M$ got to boast about in the mobile arena?
Their mobile OS Windows Mobile has sold 50 million and did always have a larger market share than Windows Phone has yet to capture. 42% in 2007. They can always boast about that.

It had a horrible GUI for... ...usage, though.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Their mobile OS Windows Mobile has sold 50 million and did always have a larger market share than Windows Phone has yet to capture. 42% in 2007. They can always boast about that.

It had a horrible GUI for... ...usage, though.
Excuse me? Since when did Windows of ANY form get 42%? Here.. I'll do one better than you and cite a statistic (ComScore):

Source: http://marketingland.com/googles-sma...d-numbers-6875

heh... seriously. Here... here's another one for you to digest as a BIG PICTURE statistic/graph: http://www.economist.com/blogs/graph...daily-chart-13
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2012-04-17 at 07:22.

I just grabbed the numbers from Wikipedia. Smartphone share, obviously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...e#Market_share

The one graph you linked showed a 36% market share... In the US. That's only 6% below the Wikipedia number, and in a limited segment, at that.

Simple numbers or fancy graphs, the US isn't the world. Heh, seriously.

Last edited by volt; 2012-04-17 at 07:49.

Tags
backdoors, buysomethinelse, danrantos, goodbye nokia, lumiadork, lumiaturd, nsa_cia_lumia, seasons in sun