Thanks for the Lucid dream function caco3. I never had the chance to look into it myself. I'll start testing it this week and let you know how it goes. Got a quick suggestion, will it be possible to have the lucid dream song play multiple times with a user configurable time - such as 2am to 5am in the morning. I get deeper sleep with more vivid dreams in the latter stages of my sleep.

@mihapodb, I'll have a look when I get home to see what I have. I remember I did have something that can act as a trigger.

It might also be interesting to test other music/sounds and see if it will induce some interesting dreams!

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
The transition levels between the sleep phases (I guess thats what you mean) are kind of hard coded. Of course I also could add them to the settings window, how ever i think it is not necessary and would only confuse the normal user.
Perhaps include it in a .conf file somewhere in the file-system, where the power users can tweak it but it's not easy to get to by people who'd be 'confused' by it?

Also, I don't know how soon I'm going to be able to get that half-finished translations file for you: With all the updates that have happened, is there any point in me continuing to translate the one you posted some pages back, or have there been updates requiring other phrases words to be translated?

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by rexii23 View Post
Thanks for the Lucid dream function caco3. I never had the chance to look into it myself. I'll start testing it this week and let you know how it goes. Got a quick suggestion, will it be possible to have the lucid dream song play multiple times with a user configurable time - such as 2am to 5am in the morning. I get deeper sleep with more vivid dreams in the latter stages of my sleep.
I will see if I can implement that in a future version.
As we have only limited access to the media player, its a bit tricky.
The easiest would be if I could tell media player via DBUS to repeat it endless. I haven't yet figured out which DBUS command media player supports. All i know is from this page: http://wiki.maemo.org/Phone_control#Media_player

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Perhaps include it in a .conf file somewhere in the file-system, where the power users can tweak it but it's not easy to get to by people who'd be 'confused' by it?
Its now accessible in the general config file.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Also, I don't know how soon I'm going to be able to get that half-finished translations file for you: With all the updates that have happened, is there any point in me continuing to translate the one you posted some pages back, or have there been updates requiring other phrases words to be translated?
I would like now to freeze the SleepAnalyser version, so we soon can move it to testing.
I will only add bug fixes and minor changes to it.
As soon as we have the translations and no more bugs, I will release it.

This means that you now can continue translating. I will not add any more texts, unless something is missing. Attached is the latest .pot file. You can import it into your .po file. This way your already made changes will not be overwritten.

Important:
I now overworked the help file.
Could some of you have a look on it and see if it is good?
Especially the part how to start and to configure it. I would expect that most new users will struggle there the most.
I attached it as a pdf (*) so you can read it on a PC.

(*) Sadly the upload settings do not allow pdf files over 20KB, so I had to zip it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SleepAnalyser.pot 31.01.2010.zip (3.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: zip SleepAnalyser - Help - 31.01.2010.pdf.zip (124.6 KB, 125 views)
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Last edited by caco3; 2011-01-31 at 18:37. Reason: added help file

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Will have a look at the help file for you.

About the lucid dream function: one quick partial solution would be to grant a delay stretching at least 4/5 hours (instead of the 1 hour at the mo). That way folk can at least schedule the recording for deep into the night.

Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
About the lucid dream function: one quick partial solution would be to grant a delay stretching at least 4/5 hours (instead of the 1 hour at the mo). That way folk can at least schedule the recording for deep into the night.
I belief you missunderstand that delay.
It does not mean that it will start after this time since recording start, but after this time staying in light or deep sleep.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I belief you missunderstand that delay.
It does not mean that it will start after this time since recording start, but after this time staying in light or deep sleep.
Indeed I did, no doubt that will change when I read the help file . However, perhaps my idea - coupled with yours, still has merit?

Tested out the lucid dream function last night. Found a mp3 clip that repeats words like 'you are dreaming, this is a dream, etc etc')

I didn't have any success either due to the fact that the volume was too low or that it triggered when I'm not in REM sleep. Although a look at the plotted chart showed that it triggered approximately 60min after light/deep sleep, which is what I set it on. So the triggering algorithm is looking good and it could just be a volume issue.

I think I didn't explain the repeating request correctly.

I didn't mean for the music to play continously from 2am-5am. What I mean is that it would be good to be able to play the trigger music a few times during the night for each sleep cycle instead of just once. That way if we missed one cycle we might have better luck with the next cycle.

With regards to selecting a period, i think it will be better if we can choose when to start and finish the lucid dream function. For example, for the music to start at the 2nd or 3rd sleep cycle instead of the first one. I believe the normal alarm function can already set a time range of when it will go off, so hopefully it can adapted easily to lucid dream.

So as an example if we set it to start at 2am and end at 5am (assuming a 90min sleep cycle):
Cycle 1 = 2am-3.30am
Cycle 2 = 3.30am - 5am

Taking 2am as the start of a new cycle, then it will play the trigger music at 3am (60min into sleep) and then again at 4.50am.

Hopefully I don't sound too confusing.

Will test again tonight!

For people that wonder what trigger music to use, there are quite a bit floating around the net, most of them consisting of a gentle voice saying 'you are dreaming, this is a dream, etc etc' for 10min. I've read that it may work better with your own recorded voice so I'll give that a go sometime too and report back.

So, do I understand you right?
You would like to be able so set a Lucid dream time window like the alarm time window? So the lucid dream music can only go off during this time. And if in this time, it will go off every time you stayed for a certain time in light or deep sleep?

This would need quite some changes in the way I store the data right now. I can see if I can have a look into it, but the next few weeks I have only very limitted time. You have to understand that SleepAnalyser takes a huge part of my free time! Because of that I would like to get the version as is now stable and release it. Then afterwards, when I have more time again we can have a look into it again.

BTW:
I almost never can see any 90 minutes cycle intervalls. Either my sleep is not very normal, or its just impossible to rely detect the cycles through movement recording.
and more...

So, do I understand you right?
You would like to be able so set a Lucid dream time window like the alarm time window? So the lucid dream music can only go off during this time. And if in this time, it will go off every time you stayed for a certain time in light or deep sleep?
Yes, that's exactly it.

I definitely appreciate your efforts caco3. I agree with you that it would be better to release a stable version. I'm not in a hurry and it is already working quite well =)

I've tried setting the music to 50% volume yesterday and that was too loud and woke me up. I guess also it could be that it's at the start of my first sleep cycle and it's stinking hot here for the past few days with the crazy weather.

Lately my sleep pattern is not as good as before, most likely due to the late nights I've been pulling. There are some ~90min cycles, just not repeated regularly through the night.

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
I now tried the new SleepAnalyser with wakeup music and evilalarm. The latter one is solved perfectly: instead of any alarm or music the evilalarm starts and then is independant from Sleepanalyser. I can stop recording and close SleepAnalyse but evilalarm still remains active.

Wakeup music is not that comfortable (maybe by design?). It starts but as soon as I stop recording the music also stops. Could it be possible to untie the player from the calling program so the song gets played to end at least even if I stop or close SleepAnalyser meanwhile?

Another point is the usual alarm: it still occurs after the song has played to end. So the music stops and the alarm goes off. Is that by design? I'm not sure yet if I like that behaviour. At least it's a kind of fallback if music alone doesn't make you get up. On the other hand it's quite irritating hearing that disdainful alarm sound after having heard some nice music. Will have to think over it some more

And a third point concerning the logfile: when viewing the statistics for a recording I find some inconsistencies. The part for alarm events shows the alarm time window and the time the (real) alarm went off as well as the reason. The part for wakeup music instead only shows the date when alarm went off but no time. In fact there should be either the time the music started or the timestamp in alarm part should provide the time the music started, if so. Usually it should only be minimal offsets but thinking of a wakeup song with one hour duration the statistics would be quite unexact. (btw: what will happen if the end of alarm time window is reached and music still plays? I didn't have that variation yet. Will alarm start immediately or will music first play to end and then alarm starts or will alarm be abandoned?)

Regarding the graph and values, I think I now have found some working settings. Will have to look at it for some more nights but given the settings are not changed again I think I got my near-to-perfect settings now